You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

The Never Ending Gun Thread

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 09 Dec 10, 21:59Post
A place for all discussions related to firearms. New guns you purchased. Guns you plan to purchase. Advice about guns. Need help identifying something you found in your grandfathers closet? Have a new load formula you want to share? A crazy story you heard. There I was stories. Put it all here.

If you don't know, don't be afraid to ask. We certainly aren't experts, but if we put our collective heads together we might figure something out.

To get things started: A member (who may chose to id themselves if they want) has asked about bump firing. Bump firing is a process which allows a semi-automatic firearm (usually a rifle) to be fired as fast as a automatic weapon. The trick to doing this is to push the rifle forwards with the support hand while holding ones finger in a rigid manner in front of the trigger. Pulling the gun forward pulls the trigger, the recoil pushes it back, the gun is pulled forward and is fired again. Repeat until out of ammo. The down side is that it is extremely inaccurate. When I say "extremely inaccurate" I mean you aren't going to hit anything you are aiming at except with extreme luck. The up side is that it can be fun. Just be very careful about what is down range since you don't have much control where those bullets are going for the next mile or two. Another word of warning. There are some devices for sale that facilitate bump firing. The government has a habit of changing their minds on the legality of these devices, so even though one may be legal today, it might not be tomorrow. My advice is that if you want to bump fire, just practice doing it without devices... and remember that it's a party trick and not a real fighting technique.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 09 Dec 10, 22:25Post
Yeah, what ^^^^^ he said.

Bump firing is fun, but don't expect to put any ordinance on target.

Spend the money and get the real thing. An entry level machine gun is around $ 3.5K. Add the $ 200.00 tax stamp and you have a legal bullet hose.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
mark5388916 09 Dec 10, 22:52Post
miamiair wrote:Spend the money and get the real thing. An entry level machine gun is around $ 3.5K. Add the $ 200.00 tax stamp and you have a legal bullet hose.

Unless you live in CA.. you're screwed if you want an MG as far as I can tell..
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 09 Dec 10, 23:25Post
mark5388916 wrote:Unless you live in CA.. you're screwed if you want an MG as far as I can tell..

Laws vary from state to state. I am not familiar with CA's laws.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 09 Dec 10, 23:30Post
mark5388916 wrote:
miamiair wrote:Spend the money and get the real thing. An entry level machine gun is around $ 3.5K. Add the $ 200.00 tax stamp and you have a legal bullet hose.

Unless you live in CA.. you're screwed if you want an MG as far as I can tell..

You're screwed on just about everything in California :))

kidding... well sort of

Anyways, here are the gun laws by state:
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

*Don't hold me accountable for any errors on the link above.
futurecaptain 09 Dec 10, 23:50Post
CO777ER wrote:You're screwed on just about everything in California

Seems like it!
I was checking the laws there for a road trip I took last summer. Appears to be illegal to even have a gun in the trunk of your car or in the hotel room with you.
The guns stayed home.
No electrons were hurt in the making of this post
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 09 Dec 10, 23:51Post
Apparently potato guns are considered firearms in Texas. {crazy}

Come on... Really?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 09 Dec 10, 23:56Post
Last thing I got, mrsmiamiair gave me a Mosin Nagant rifle fur our anniversary. I call it the War Pig. Tailhooker loves shooting it. {duck}
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 10 Dec 10, 00:09Post
miamiair wrote:Last thing I got, mrsmiamiair gave me a Mosin Nagant rifle fur our anniversary. I call it the War Pig. Tailhooker loves shooting it. {duck}

91/30 or M44?
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 10 Dec 10, 00:11Post
91/30
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 10 Dec 10, 00:39Post
Rounded receiver or hex?

I shot my first hog with a hex receiver 91/30.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 10 Dec 10, 00:42Post
Click Click D'oh wrote:Rounded receiver or hex?

Rounded. It shoots great.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 10 Dec 10, 00:48Post
miamiair wrote:

Very nice.

Feed her well
MD11Engineer 10 Dec 10, 02:02Post
miamiair wrote:
Click Click D'oh wrote:Rounded receiver or hex?

Right into the next county? {silly}

Check this: http://www.mouseguns.com/compare.htm :))

Jan
captoveur 10 Dec 10, 13:43Post
CO777ER wrote:Apparently potato guns are considered firearms in Texas. {crazy}

Come on... Really?

Texas Penal code definition of firearm:
http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/46.01.00.html

"Firearm" means any device designed, made, or
adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy
generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device
readily convertible to that use. "

It's not specific but yeah, looks like it does. You would have to be really stupid or really piss the cops off for them to press this though. We have run into them on campus before and unless they are acting like idiots we usually just tell them take it somewhere else.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
MD11Engineer 10 Dec 10, 14:06Post
captoveur wrote:
CO777ER wrote:Apparently potato guns are considered firearms in Texas. {crazy}

Come on... Really?

Texas Penal code definition of firearm:
http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/46.01.00.html

"Firearm" means any device designed, made, or
adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy
generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device
readily convertible to that use. "

It's not specific but yeah, looks like it does. You would have to be really stupid or really piss the cops off for them to press this though. We have run into them on campus before and unless they are acting like idiots we usually just tell them take it somewhere else.

what about spigot mortars? As per definition they don´t have any barrel. Could I own a WW2 British army PIAT in Texas? ;)

It would defintely be cool (if you don´t break your back while trying to cock it)

Jan
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 10 Dec 10, 14:12Post
MD11Engineer wrote:What about spigot mortars? As per definition they don´t have any barrel. Could I own a WW2 British army PIAT in Texas? ;)

It would defintely be cool (if you don´t break your back while trying to cock it)

Jan

A destructive Device and would require ATF approval.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 10 Dec 10, 14:15Post
That would be considered a Title II Destructive Device under the National Fireams Act. Commonly refereed to as a Title II item. They may be purchased after paying a $200 tax per item (each grenade, and the launcher, count as separate items) and waiting for the government to send you the appropriate stamp and paperwork.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Dec 10, 01:29Post
So... for anyone that thinks we need a few more gun laws...

The Federal government finally got around to sending me my updated FFL packet. In it there is a book of all the Federal laws regarding the sale or transfer of firearms. The book is 250 pages long. There is also a CD included that has all the state laws. A full CD mind you.

Think this garbage can be thinned out a bit?
mark5388916 16 Dec 10, 07:09Post
Click Click D'oh wrote:So... for anyone that thinks we need a few more gun laws...

The Federal government finally got around to sending me my updated FFL packet. In it there is a book of all the Federal laws regarding the sale or transfer of firearms. The book is 250 pages long. There is also a CD included that has all the state laws. A full CD mind you.

Think this garbage can be thinned out a bit?

What does the CD say about CA and its gun laws? I'd be surprised if it filled only half the CD...
Fumanchewd 19 Dec 10, 23:25Post
I've been shopping Saiga 12's and some of them on backpage go for about $800- the ads say it has a modified trigger. Is it a sensitivity thing?

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquip ... d/11802367

I am also wondering if anyone has an internet listing of what the legal barrel length is for these weapons for each state.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 19 Dec 10, 23:34Post
The ultimate zombie cleaner:

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 30 Dec 10, 15:41Post
The 21 Ft. Myth:

Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 30 Dec 10, 16:01Post
miamiair wrote:The 21 Ft. Myth:

I posted about this one on Facebook a while back... not my best day at the office.

In recent news, I just got a VZ-24. Very nice. Requires some cleaning up and a trip to the range to see how it shoots. Bore looks good so I suspect it will be fine. If it is, it's going to get a scout mount and get to hunting. I'm thinking of loading up some 150gr SPs and see how she does.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 30 Dec 10, 16:14Post
8mm Mauser?

I love my Mosin. Thing shoots straight...