You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

The Never Ending Gun Thread

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

Fumanchewd 28 May 18, 08:45Post
One of the greatest downfalls of the feds closing backpage is the loss of the guns market. Sure there was alot of silliness that went on, but it was avoidable if you knew what to ask and look for. I've bought and sold several guns on backpage and it was the quickest direct sales avenue to local markets I have ever seen. I would guess that in PHX, there would be over 300 posts for guns for sale on any given day. I posted my XDS on there one afternoon and had it sold out of my hands 3 hours later, cash in pocket for what I had been asking. There are some other online forums but most are national and more cumbersome than backpage was. Gunsamerica is nice, but it is national and takes time. I would rather not bother with background checks because the FBI's system is flawed and always incorrectly flags me (I have considered litigation). Even though they have sent me a letter stating I am legal and they have incorrectly prevented purchases, it still continues to happen.

Closed all because of underage prostitution? I don't buy that it was a large seller of underage or enslaved sex workers, most likely it was just prostitutes selling what they had. Does anyone here believe that this has put any type of dent in underage prostitution? A part of me wonders if the feds shut them down for their gun page, it was a large unregulated market.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 29 May 18, 11:18Post
Fumanchewd wrote: A part of me wonders if the feds shut them down for their gun page, it was a large unregulated market.

If that was the case, they would shut down all the shooting pages with a "Buy-Sell-Trade" section.

A lot of cops are pissed, they lost an easy way to keep tabs on things in the hooker department.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Fumanchewd 30 May 18, 02:05Post
miamiair wrote:
Fumanchewd wrote: A part of me wonders if the feds shut them down for their gun page, it was a large unregulated market.

If that was the case, they would shut down all the shooting pages with a "Buy-Sell-Trade" section.

A lot of cops are pissed, they lost an easy way to keep tabs on things in the hooker department.

But I am sure that this put a major dent in prostitution, it will stop now. {laugh}

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw that BP was the greatest local (therefore unregulated) exchange out there. Sure you had gunsamerica and some national stuff, but you always had to pick up state to state sales from a dealer and get the background check. I looked around and besides a few smaller (but usually more professional) websites, nothing compared to BP's volume (At least in PHX). If they wanted to make the most waves shutting down 1 site, BP would have been it. I do believe they wanted it shut down for the prostitutes, but I think the Feds had been silently loathing the BP gun market for years. I know for a fact that some criminal organizations would buy up a bunch of guns on there and move them from state to state. The Feds knew about that. Lets not forget they put pressure on CL to close both their prostitution "personals" and their firearms exchange.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 03 Jun 18, 15:29Post
Gman getting his dance moves on...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BareGreenHuemul-mobile.mp4
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
Mark 29 Aug 18, 22:08Post
I got 0.34 seconds using a S&W Model 66.

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 30 Aug 18, 07:12Post
I can think of a way to make it stay still longer. {mischief}
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 19 Sep 18, 00:13Post
So, MidwayUSA had a sale on 80% Glock lowers the other day, and things quickly went from "Can I do that" to "I dare you"

In the end, we started an office competition to make the most Tactitard Glock we could. My entry:

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
Fumanchewd 26 Sep 18, 06:51Post
I just bought a Tikka T3X TAC A1 6.5 Creedmoor (Finnish) as my first long distance gun. Yes 6.5 Creedmoor is a fad, but I understand its for a good reason. Not my pic, but for reference.

I have zero experience in long range shooting but am eager to start as a beginner.

A few questions if anyone has the time and patience for me....

1. This gun comes with a 0 MOA rail. I want to be able to shoot at around 1000 yards and understand I will need a 20 MOA rail. Is that correct? And I have researched and seen other people recommend 20 MOA rings, rather than the rail. I understand that the purpose of 20 MOA is to use the maximum amount of your scope, but what is the difference between 20 MOA rail and 20 MOA rings?

2. What is the best scope in the $1500-$2200 range. Been looking at Leopold, NF, Steiner, and a few others. Its all so f'n confusing. Just a couple I've been considering with minimal knowledge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HG ... 0P3Z&psc=1

https://www.opticsplanet.com/steiner-t5 ... yREALw_wcB

(Not sure why the MOA scope is $600 more on the Steiner)

3. I understand this gun doesn't come with a rail for a bipod. I am considering an Atlas, but its very pricey. Would the 6-9" be ok? What rail would I need for an Atlas? I also like the less expensive Accutac bipods. What the hell should I do? Lol.

I am excited to start out in long range shooting, any advice would be appreciated.
captoveur 09 Oct 18, 14:37Post
to shoot a thousand yards you're not going to want to cheap out on stuff.

The best scope for you is going to be just that- the best scope for you. Any big name will get it done. Nikon, Leupold, Steiner. at that range you can't go cheap on glass because crap glass won't give you any kind of clarity out that far. I would say start with something cheaper, get good at 500 or 600 yds, then step up to bigger gear.

It also may be cost effective to get a .308 or .30-06 so you can afford to put a lot of rounds downrange for practice and only fire a few of the 6.5 rounds on an outing. Yes, this is a whole additional rifle and scope, but the best way to get good at shooting is do a lot of it. If you are doing a lot of it at $5 a round vs $0.75 a round, it adds up fast and a Rem 700 and a decent scope for moderate ranges isn't *that* expensive.

I may be totally wrong
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
Fumanchewd 26 Oct 18, 08:20Post
captoveur wrote:to shoot a thousand yards you're not going to want to cheap out on stuff.

The best scope for you is going to be just that- the best scope for you. Any big name will get it done. Nikon, Leupold, Steiner. at that range you can't go cheap on glass because crap glass won't give you any kind of clarity out that far. I would say start with something cheaper, get good at 500 or 600 yds, then step up to bigger gear.

It also may be cost effective to get a .308 or .30-06 so you can afford to put a lot of rounds downrange for practice and only fire a few of the 6.5 rounds on an outing. Yes, this is a whole additional rifle and scope, but the best way to get good at shooting is do a lot of it. If you are doing a lot of it at $5 a round vs $0.75 a round, it adds up fast and a Rem 700 and a decent scope for moderate ranges isn't *that* expensive.

I may be totally wrong

Thanks for the info, many say the best ammo in 6.5 C seems to be Hornady (they invented the round) ELD. It goes for around $28 per 20, so its expensive but not too bad. That's why I never got the .338 I was lusting after, the money would make it prohibitive.

I ended up getting the Steiner 5122 t5xi 5-25x56 on sale at Botach for $1,650, normal price $2100. I couldn't pass up the deal. I considered the M5Xi, but I don't think the extra $1,000 would help me to such a degree to make it worth it. So now I have fairly heavy scope and heavy rifle...

I bought a 20 MOA rail and Nightforce Xtreme 34mm Ultralite rings. I'm considering a real light bipod to make up for the weight, I like the looks of the Javelin or Spartan 300 but its pricey. I think I'm just going to shoot off of bags for a bit before I decide on the bipod. I did figure out that it is M LOK fore, so I probably need to buy a M LOK adapter for whatever bipod I buy, but they are cheap from Magpul. Now just to find somewhere where I can stretch its legs.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 05 Nov 18, 19:22Post
Had a chance to try this over the weekend:

CZ75 SP-01 Tactical (Claw hammer)

Pro's:
Tack driver
Great ergonomics
Low barrel axis (Running plates was a wet dream)
Great capacity magazines

Con's:
Heavy
All steel frame(Heats up too fast) Extended shooting made the pistol uncomfortable to hold
Sights - Suck
Low height of slide takes getting used to - Slingshotting it grabs the frame every time.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Fumanchewd 07 Nov 18, 06:24Post
I still have and love my AK74. What made it initially great was the cheap Russian 7N6 spam can ammo and how fast/straiight it shoots. The Obama CBP outlawed importation of it for being steel core Armor penetration, even though it doesn't add any penetration value and was being sold 30+ hears before. I haven't bothered with it for a few years and just looked up 7N6 availability. You Can't buy it commercially anymore, suppliers such as sgammo, JP, UNammo, and on and on are all out for good now. So based upon the roughly $300+ I see for personal buyers prices online now, my 12 spam cans are worth under $4k. {laugh}