You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

What Games Are You Playing? (XBOX/PC/ETC.)

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

piercey 10 Jul 12, 12:25Post
Click Click D'oh wrote:Mass Effect 3: Extended Ending Stupidity.

One day Mass Effect 3 will end up in college classrooms as an exercise on how to kill your brand. The extended ending was such a crock of ****.
From a couch in Texas
piercey in ...?
adopim86 17 Jul 12, 03:57Post
We are big console gamers (currently owning a Super Nintendo, N64, Wii, PS2, PS3, and an Xbox 360).
Right now at my house I have the Xbox 360 and the Wii. My game of choice at the moment is Borderlands, though I've played it a hundred times. I got back into it after seeing previews for Borderlands 2 (which I am so excited about!) Other games I've logged an enormous number of hours into include Fallout 3 and BioShock.
12-16-08
10-20-12
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Jul 12, 06:56Post
Thinking about playing Evochron Mercenary. Been fishing with the hours of offtime, though.
Fly2HMO 22 Jul 12, 20:28Post
Just when I had completely forgotten about Mass Effect 3, I bump into this very interesting video on youtube:

Some compelling arguments right there on why the ending was such a mess. It just may have all been on purpose. I hope.
meh
adopim86 19 Sep 12, 05:09Post
Borderlands 2 came out today. I've been waiting for a long time for it (I had it on pre-order before the release date was even close to being announced). 3.5 hours of gameplay and I already got my money's worth. Amazing!!
12-16-08
10-20-12
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 24 Sep 12, 19:09Post
ERRMAHGERD! It's Panda day! ;)

Today and over the next several days/weeks/months, my game of choice shall be World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria.

YUSS! PANDAREN!
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Sep 12, 06:29Post
IFEMaster wrote:ERRMAHGERD! It's Panda day! ;)

Today and over the next several days/weeks/months, my game of choice shall be World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria.

YUSS! PANDAREN!

Pandas cannot get me off my Faster Than Light addiction.

If you haven't looked at FTL, do so immediately. It's a blast.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 26 Sep 12, 04:36Post
For any of us old time gamers around here that remember the greatness of the Wing Commander series:

http://wcsaga.com/

I've played through the prologue campaign already, and this is pure Wing Commander awesomeness.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 22 Oct 12, 13:06Post
Xcom... I really wanted to like it... but it's crap.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Oct 12, 18:30Post
Click Click D'oh wrote:Xcom... I really wanted to like it... but it's crap.

I was thinking about buying this, if I were ever to get time to play games...but now...

Did I mention how great FTL is? Buy it. Very cheap roguelike in space.

Dishonored is also great. Reminds me of the Thief series a tiny bit. I like it.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 22 Oct 12, 18:52Post
Played some Soldier of Fortune this weekend. Talk about a fun, pointless, gory game. :))
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 22 Oct 12, 18:59Post
Lucas wrote:I was thinking about buying this, if I were ever to get time to play games...but now...

It was fun for a couple of hours, mostly I think for nostalgia purposes since it plays a lot like the original Xcom.

However, the bugs, crappy AI and out right shitty programming eventually pile up to make it a crapfest.

Very common situation:

You move your guys up, taking postitions behind walls, pylons and what ever cover you find, since not being in cover is pretty much a death sentance. Set all of your guys to overwatch if they haven't used their max move, so they'll shoot enemies that appear in their line of sight (necessary for survival or aliens will just walk up and eat your face.) Your last guy to move spots a group of aliens (they always spawn in groups of 3-5). Since the aliens always get a free move when spotted (thus you can never ambush anything) they all scatter. Due to a massive line of sight bug which allows you to target enemies through walls, the ground, trees or just about anything solid, all your guys use their overwatch reaction shot to try shooting at the moving aliens... thus shooting the objects they are hiding behind and destroying them.

Now, it's the enemies turn and all of your guys have shot their overwatch shots and are standing in the open.. you lose 3-4 guys right out. Hope you saved.

If it was a rare occurrence I could put up with it, but it's actually very common. In fact, it's so common the programmers have clearly abused it and will set up THE SUPER ROBOT OF DOOM behind walls you team is likely to wipe out in overwatch self immolation.. thus ensuring their doom is hastened. Several times I've ended a turn, had a group of aliens run onto the screen (note: already have to be moving to run onto the scrren), now they've been spotted... so they, get a free move (yay for two complete move turns for the enemy). Insert squad destroying their own cover... repeat as necessary.

THE SUPER ROBOT OF DOOM is evidence to me that the devs just lazy and programed bullshit to compensate.

Normally, every character gets two actions. It can be two moves, a move and overwatch, a move and shoot or (for only some characters) two shoots.

The super robot of doom gets a free AOE missle attack, then a full two moves, then two AOE laser attacks then overwatch... And it has 40hp. A normal attack with a plasma rifle does 8-10. So, if your get four of your team members to all manage to survive that damage, and all land max damage hits... you might take one down.

...and late in the game, these are normal mobs. Sometimes showing up three or four times in a single mission. Pretty quickly you learn that the only way to beat these things is to have saved right before you encounter one, and fight it/reload as many times as needed to come out with no dead players. Rinse/repeat until level is defeated.

I should have known the game was going to hell when a normal human can walk up and punch my guys wearing full power armor for the same damage a plasma rifle does...

I gave up and went back to playing Saints Row the Third.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Mar 13, 20:13Post
Well I haven't gotten into XCOM...mainly because of Click. Right now I'm playing the new Tomb Raider, which is great! I also bought Tropico 4 (on sale) and Dishonored, which I beat.

The new Thief game is being talked about. I'm cautiously pessimistic. Replaying Thief 2: The Metal Age for the 90th time. Still as amazing as always. :)
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 17 Mar 13, 20:26Post
I bought The Witcher 2 on sale (and finally got it to run {grumpy} ). I really thought it would be a game I'd like. But - no.

It's the controls that kill it for me. Way too complicated.

Hit <CTRL> to open the quick menu, then select 'meditate' to open the meditation menu, then click spells for the spells menu, select the spell you want to cast, then return to the game and press Q to cast it. All that while some monster is trying to eat you.

Or this one: turn towards the enemy you would like to attack, hit <ALT> to select him as a target, then go the inventory, coat your weapon with some potion, drink another potion to increase some of your 999 character stats, return to the game and attack. {crazy}

I'm sure that, if you study it for several hours, it gives you a ton of options. But here's the trick - I play games for entertainment. And while the athmosphere is great - the best I've seen in any RPG so far - the game still fails to entertain me.

I hope they learned a few lessons from Bethesda (Skyrim) for part 3.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Mar 13, 20:51Post
Zak, I agree about the Witcher (both, actually). Cool atmosphere, but there was just so much there, and it wasn't very intuitive. I actually liked Risen more.

I've also been playing Alpha Protocol. It's ok.

Anyone tried Planetside 2? I hear that it's free, and my brother and his friend love it.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Mar 13, 20:54Post
Meh. Still working my way through Angry Birds Seasons.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 18 Mar 13, 22:04Post
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

It's AMAAAAAAAZING

You know what I'm not playing, though? SimCity. Why? Because EA/Maxis really effed up, so I returned my pre-ordered copy to Amazon.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 18 Mar 13, 23:26Post
IFEMaster wrote:You know what I'm not playing, though? SimCity. Why? Because EA/Maxis really effed up, so I returned my pre-ordered copy to Amazon.

I still find it amazing that anyone bought SimCity after the ME3 fiasco.
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Mar 13, 04:14Post
If they ever eff up Sims 3 like they did SimCity, I'm going to be reeeeeeeeally pissed off... {redflag}
Money can't buy happiness; but it can get you flying, which is pretty much the same.
Fumanchewd 19 Mar 13, 10:40Post
I don't play my PS3 alot, maybe a few times a month. I really like Dishonored, its fun but kind of easy.

I have been on the last level for a few months and will hopefully get it done in the next decade.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 19 Mar 13, 10:54Post
Still playing Black Ops 2, but not as much. Campers really piss me off. It is fun to come back and blow them away though.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 19 Mar 13, 11:26Post
FlyingAce wrote:If they ever eff up Sims 3 like they did SimCity, I'm going to be reeeeeeeeally pissed off... {redflag}

They've been trying real hard for a long time now, what with the login's and facebook sharing stuff. Right now you can turn it all off, but someday they'll decided it needs to be constant on.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 01 Apr 13, 22:44Post
Bioshock Infinite.

Strange game. That I like more and more. People complain it's too easy, and easy it is. But it provides excellent entertainment. Maybe that's why I like it so much better than anything else I've played recently.

Elizabeth may well be the most fascinating video game character I have ever encountered so far.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 20 Jun 13, 16:31Post
For you XBox fans out there...

Microsoft backtracked Wednesday on its much-derided policy that would have required Xbox One gamers to connect their consoles to the Internet once a day to prevent game piracy.

Microsoft faced a huge backlash when it announced the policy, just before the E3 video game conference earlier this month. Then, the company said it would allow gamers to play offline for up to 24 hours on a primary console, or 1 hour if they were logged onto a separate console accessing their library of titles. At that point, offline gaming would have been disabled until players re-establish a Web connection.

Microsoft also reversed its policy with regard to game resales. The company planned to let game publishers set the rules for reselling games to retailers, something that a regular Web connection would have allowed. Game makers could have restricted the use of games on more than one console, or required a fee for reuse. Microsoft also planned to limit gamers ability to share titles with friends, allowing them only to give a disc to a buddy who has been on their friends list for at least 30 days. And even then, each game would only have been able to be given once.

Those restrictions have been rescinded as well.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57590 ... es-policy/
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Jun 13, 16:57Post
BEHOLD! The Xbox 180!