You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

Whisky

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 16 Oct 11, 18:33Post
Has anybody tried Johny Walker Double Black?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Oct 11, 18:40Post
miamiair wrote:Has anybody tried Johny Walker Double Black?

nope, and I like Walker . . .

What is Double Black?
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 16 Oct 11, 18:44Post
ANCFlyer wrote:

What is Double Black?

Beats the hell out of me. I bought a bottle at duty free for my brother in law. Didn't open it when I got home on Friday. Supposedly it is smokier, with more character.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 16 Oct 11, 22:56Post
I watched a program on the History Channel yesterday about distilleries, I might have to try Scotch just to see what it's like. Can you get reasonably priced single-malt Scotch here in the U.S.? And would a blended Scotch be smoother than a single-malt Scotch? Also, how would that compare to the smoothness of a decent Vodka?

Educate me.
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
Nosedive 17 Oct 11, 01:09Post
miamiair wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:

What is Double Black?

Beats the hell out of me. I bought a bottle at duty free for my brother in law. Didn't open it when I got home on Friday. Supposedly it is smokier, with more character.

Sounds like the stuff has just come out. From wiki: "The whisky was created taking Black Label as a blueprint and adding heavily-peated malts and some aged in deeply charred oak casks. . . . a blend that uses peaty west coast whiskies to create a flavour that is more smoky than Johnnie Walker Black Label."
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain
captoveur 17 Oct 11, 23:16Post
Queso wrote:I watched a program on the History Channel yesterday about distilleries, I might have to try Scotch just to see what it's like. Can you get reasonably priced single-malt Scotch here in the U.S.? And would a blended Scotch be smoother than a single-malt Scotch? Also, how would that compare to the smoothness of a decent Vodka?

Educate me.

You can get a reasonable single malt for about what a bottle of good vodka costs. I just about can't drink cheap shit so that is how I would go. Some good whiskeys are even smoother than a good vodka.

Go with about a 10yr old single malt. The last scotch I had was 10yr old Talisker. It was reasonably priced, and not bad. Good for cool weather, smooth. The flavors in scotch are very subtle so don't be expecting the world to change when you first start out.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 18 Oct 11, 01:10Post
captoveur wrote:
Queso wrote:I watched a program on the History Channel yesterday about distilleries, I might have to try Scotch just to see what it's like. Can you get reasonably priced single-malt Scotch here in the U.S.? And would a blended Scotch be smoother than a single-malt Scotch? Also, how would that compare to the smoothness of a decent Vodka?

Educate me.

You can get a reasonable single malt for about what a bottle of good vodka costs. I just about can't drink cheap shit so that is how I would go. Some good whiskeys are even smoother than a good vodka.

Go with about a 10yr old single malt. The last scotch I had was 10yr old Talisker. It was reasonably priced, and not bad. Good for cool weather, smooth. The flavors in scotch are very subtle so don't be expecting the world to change when you first start out.

Thanks! I'll have a look the next time I'm at the liquor store.
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
MD11Engineer 01 Nov 11, 22:10Post
Just having a glass of 10 year Laphroaig.

Jan
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 01 Nov 11, 22:14Post
MD11Engineer wrote:Just having a glass of 10 year Laphroaig.

Jan

Good stuff. Enjoy.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 05 Nov 14, 02:56Post
Opened up the bottle of Macallan Sienna I bought at SXM (Zak & Kelly may recall the taste test at the store). Damn good stuff {thumbsup}
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Jul 16, 22:11Post
*Bump*

I'm a Bourbon purist. The cherry, apple etc. flavoured bourbons attract my ire for various reasons. But, and it's a big but (I like them, I cannot lie) Jim Bean have brought out Jim Bean Maple and it is gooood.

For the UK folk, Tesco have it on special for £13 for the next two weeks. Bag a bottle of this:

A million great ideas...
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 28 Jul 16, 23:50Post
Seven years and no mention of Glenfiddich?

Whiskey heathens the lot of you.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 29 Jul 16, 10:47Post
My Brother-n-Law gave me a bottle of this a while back - really good bourbon.
angels_envy_bourbon3.jpg
angels_envy_bourbon3.jpg (28.66 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 29 Jul 16, 13:41Post
I've been stuck on this lately.

Yeah yeah yeah...it's a rye. It's delicious. Shut up.

Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 29 Jul 16, 14:23Post
GQfluffy wrote:I've been stuck on this lately.

Yeah yeah yeah...it's a rye. It's delicious. Shut up.

Bootlegger!
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 29 Jul 16, 20:16Post
There's no wall along the border. :))
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
DXing 31 Jul 16, 22:43Post
miamiair wrote:Scotch (Neat):
Dalwhinie
Laphroaig
Macellen

Don't care for the blends;

Maker's Mark
Knob Creek
Jack Single Barrel
Woodford Reserve

And Busmill's or Jameson's when I am in the mood for some Irish Whiskey
ANCFlyer wrote:Simple really . . . .

You have both let me down....it's Macallan...10 is for the dive bar, 12 is if nothing else is available, 15 is just right for ordinary consumption, 25 for that special occasion, and 30 if you just had a big night at the tables and have nothing else to spend your money on.

Jameson's is for shots.

Oban 14 is a good substitute if the Macallan 12 isn't available although I can't say the Glenmorangie 18 is a bad product, just doesn't do me like the others.

Jack Daniels is useless without a mix so I avoid it. Just a dressed up mans rum and coke.

Never cared for any of the bourbon blends. Perhaps a bad night in the military at the hands of some much older troops had something to do with that! {drillsergeant} {crazy} {sick}
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
halls120 (Plank Owner) 01 Aug 16, 00:21Post
Laphroaig. All others are pretenders.
At home in the PNW and loving it
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 18 Aug 16, 03:53Post
Macallan is what I have in inventory.
12 year
Sienna (from SXM)

18 is always a go to with a great cigar.
captoveur 01 Sep 16, 03:41Post
With all my OT lately I bit the bullet and tried 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle.

My bartender told me going in I wasn't going to like it in spite of my love of good whiskey.. And he was right.

Never meet your heros kids.

I tried it in a snifter.. I put a little water in it.. I even tried an ice cube. Even opened up a bit the flavor didn't even come close to justifying the price tag.

Weller 12 year old apparently comes from the same distillery, tastes suspiciously similar and costs maybe 1/20th as much
atct 02 Sep 16, 21:40Post
I tried Crown Royal Maple this week for the first time.

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney
captoveur 07 Sep 16, 16:06Post
mmmmm its like pancake syrup met whiskey