You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

How Long Do You Keep Phones?

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jul 20, 18:14Post
I've had my Note 8 since shortly after release. It was a display model that has been a godsend. Now that it's going on 3 years old, the battery life isn't the greatest.

For $78, I can get a brand new battery installed. I hate spending money, and I have to wonder how long I should hold out on getting a newer version of the Note.

How long do you keep phones?
Mark 25 Jul 20, 00:08Post
Consumer Cellular.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jul 20, 11:56Post
I don't even know what that is!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 25 Jul 20, 12:50Post
It takes me several months to "move in" to one of these new-fangled smartphones, and it's something I avoid as long as I can.

I'd still be rocking my HTC Desire Z from 10 years ago if I could have flashed a more recent Android onto it, even though I'd still have needed to repair the soldering where the charge port connected to the mainboard. Loved that thing. I still hate touch-screen keyboards, especially when forced to use them in portrait mode. For the last 18 months or so, I was relying on a 3D-printed clip to keep the charge cable at exactly the right angle, and by the time that stopped working, most of the apps I used daily had stopped supporting that Android version.

Next up was a Samsung S6, a refurb that lasted precisely 8 months before dying completely. Replaced that with a new S8, bought it SIM-free a couple of years ago and intend to keep it till it dies.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jul 20, 12:59Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:It takes me several months to "move in" to one of these new-fangled smartphones, and it's something I avoid as long as I can.

I'd still be rocking my HTC Desire Z from 10 years ago if I could have flashed a more recent Android onto it, even though I'd still have needed to repair the soldering where the charge port connected to the mainboard. Loved that thing. I still hate touch-screen keyboards, especially when forced to use them in portrait mode. For the last 18 months or so, I was relying on a 3D-printed clip to keep the charge cable at exactly the right angle, and by the time that stopped working, most of the apps I used daily had stopped supporting that Android version.

Next up was a Samsung S6, a refurb that lasted precisely 8 months before dying completely. Replaced that with a new S8, bought it SIM-free a couple of years ago and intend to keep it till it dies.

I love that dedication. Most of my smartphone use is based around backpacking, where I use it with my maps so that I can upload the GPS track later, as I sometimes orienteer better paths than the assigned "trails" in the mountains. While cell phones haven't replaced a good camera for evening, night, or shots requiring detail, my Note 8's camera is fine for taking throwaway shots during the day, which makes it convenient, as I often want to show a particular route I was considering with enough detail, but without needing to get out my Canon.

The Note 8 has been my first phone where I've been completely satisfied. I don't need it to be any faster, my apps are all exactly what I want, etc. I do wish that someone still made a really good slider, though. I hate texting via an onscreen keyboard.

I wonder if cellphones will start running into the same issues that Logitech had with their first nice speakers back in the mid 2000s, where people just didn't have a reason to upgrade...those speakers of mine are still working to this day, after I replaced a fuse.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 25 Jul 20, 14:35Post
I'm on my third eye-fone since 2013, so I'm averaging a new phone about 2.3 years.

I started with the 5s. It was replaced by the SE shortly before it was announced that the 5s wouldn't support iOS 13. Even though my SE still met my needs (could use a new battery though) and is said to support the upcoming iOS 14, I decided to jump to the Second Gen SE earlier than planned as it had a bigger screen and I felt it was time for more storage.

Current plans are to hold on to this phone until Apple decides it can't have the latest OS or it introduces a Third Generation SE.
Make Orwell fiction again.
airtrainer 25 Jul 20, 23:05Post
Longest : 4 years (iPhone 4).
Shortest : 12 hours (Bluboo S1).
Current : a bit over 2 years (Huawei P20 pro). Still very happy with it and a decent battery life, don't intend to change soon, don't want to spend an outrageous amount of money too soon either. I'll try to keep it until it dies.
Grounded...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 26 Jul 20, 00:53Post
Longest: Samsung Note 4 (3.5 years)
Shortest: Tie between iPhone 5 and Samsung Note 8 (barely 2 years each, both started 'falling apart' between battery issues and hardware/software issues at about 18 months)

Current: Samsung Note 10+ (11 months and going strong)
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Jul 20, 12:27Post
airtrainer and GQ...goodness. That's some good phone you had fistfuls of.

Fluffy, how is the Note 10 Plus treating you? I know that the Note 20 is coming out soon and I might try to score a 10 5g if prices go down.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 26 Jul 20, 13:33Post
So far...knocking heavily on wood...she's been rock solid. Nary a complaint save for sone software bugs that show up with one update that seem to be fixed with the next.

Battery life is very good...one of my largest complaints over the last half dozen years.

Only thing to keep in mind; no separate headphone jack, you have to buy the USB C adapter.

Lessin' something drastically changes, this phone is a keeper for as long as I can make her work.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Jul 20, 13:36Post
GQfluffy wrote:So far...knocking heavily on wood...she's been rock solid. Nary a complaint save for sone software bugs that show up with one update that seem to be fixed with the next.

Battery life is very good...one of my largest complaints over the last half dozen years.

Only thing to keep in mind; no separate headphone jack, you have to buy the USB C adapter.

Lessin' something drastically changes, this phone is a keeper for as long as I can make her work.

I only use wireless earbuds now (waterproof) with charging cases as they are infinitely better when hiking. Since I don't listen to music, I never notice any issues with the quality of the sound. I was looking at the prices projected for the new line, and there's just no way that I'm paying 1200+USD for a phone, not until I get a stimulus check.

I am effectively a Samsung convert, having been absolutely crushed by poor performance of Motorola and other brands. Motorola was the worst offender...I was averaging a replacement phone every 6 months.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 26 Jul 20, 14:36Post
and there's just no way that I'm paying 1200+USD for a phone

Ah...but see...how much are you dishing out for a new other brand phone every six months? {mischief}
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 26 Jul 20, 18:06Post
Samsung do make a good phone. Having said that, it's a little unnerving that it knows about my Samsung TV, when the latter has never been given my wifi password.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Jul 20, 18:27Post
GQfluffy wrote:
and there's just no way that I'm paying 1200+USD for a phone

Ah...but see...how much are you dishing out for a new other brand phone every six months? {mischief}

Well they were free replacements due to always happening during warranty, though it became more difficult each time to see that honored.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Jul 20, 18:28Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Samsung do make a good phone. Having said that, it's a little unnerving that it knows about my Samsung TV, when the latter has never been given my wifi password.

{bugeye}

Is it asking you to please install the new Skynet app?

I'm not yet into the entire smart-home thing. So far it's just the TV, but I'd like to get a smart thermostat.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Jul 20, 21:47Post
I have a 3.5 year old Samsung Galaxy S7 (later edition) that has, so far, proven to be bulletproof. My monthly bill is £14 for unlimited data & texts with far more call time than I ever use, so I don't see the point in 'upgrading' until my phone gives up. Battery life is down to around 28-30 hours of average use but we run on solar so it's free to charge.

One tip - I always buy a Spigen case & screen protector for every phone. Cost about £20 and have saved my phone more times than I could count.
A million great ideas...
DXing 27 Jul 20, 03:00Post
An S8 active. Had it since the previous samsung (an s6?) dropped and I had an infamous "unicorn" according to the store rep. Insurance replaced it with the S8 and it hasn't given me any real problems. Not inclined to get a new one unless something really advanced shows up. Wish the talk to text was a little better as I hate typing on the keyboard but one can only hope.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 27 Jul 20, 07:51Post
Usually around two years. I always buy decent cases (although I'm not particularly clumsy!) and have never yet managed to break one through dropping it or general wear and tear.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
PA110 (Founding Member) 27 Jul 20, 19:07Post
I usually replace mine when the latest OS is no longer supported by the model I have, which is usually every 3-4 years.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 27 Jul 20, 22:13Post
Typically every 3-4 years, though I usually find a way for the replaced phone to remain useful.

My current model is a OnePlus 6T. I love OnePlus for their ability to install free Android distributions, in my case LineageOS. That is core Android with zero bloatware, plus root access to control every function of both the device and the OS.

I mostly use that for systemwide ad blocking via hosts file, so that no app can load adware or display ads.

I also use a firewall that determines which app is allowed to go online and which one will remain strictly offline. I use AFWall+, that has some neat config options, e.g. (dis)allowing access separately for wifi, mobile data and roaming.

Finally, I can grant and remove all privileges for each app, including system apps.

All that not just helps blocking adware/spyware, but also greatly increases battery life. Which is awesome with OnePlus anyway. The other day, I left for a weekend trip on Friday morning and forgot my charger. Came back home Sunday night with 6% battery left. And it then took me 20 minutes to fully recharge it. Can't beat that.

Before the 6T I had the OnePlus 3, that still serves as a mobile wifi router at home. I have a 200 GB data plan and easily get 40 Mbit down / 20 Mbit up, so no need for a wired internet connection.

Only downside - I kept the OP3 permanently connected to the charger, and meanwhile the battery is so bloated that the display came off. Phone still works, but a bloated battery is a fire hazard, so I will have to replace it shortly.

Lesson learned - when the 6T will become my new wifi router, I will attach the charger to a smart wifi plug connector. That way, the phone can turn the plug switch on when it drops to 30% battery, and disconnect from power once it charged to 90%. #geekpower :))
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Jul 20, 18:29Post
@JLAmber, I will look into that brand of cases. I have the standard Samsung case...not really great.

@Zak I'm interested in the OnePlus 8 Pro, but I really love having a stylus for my hikes. I'm also worried about what the US might due given that it's a Chinese phone...you know how that's been recently for us. Still pretty tempted, though, as one of my friends liked his OP8P better than the Samsung S20 (think that is the phone.).
halls120 (Plank Owner) 06 Aug 20, 09:03Post
PA110 wrote:I usually replace mine when the latest OS is no longer supported by the model I have, which is usually every 3-4 years.

Same here. I don’t need the latest and greatest.
At home in the PNW and loving it
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 06 Aug 20, 10:06Post
halls120 wrote:
PA110 wrote:I usually replace mine when the latest OS is no longer supported by the model I have, which is usually every 3-4 years.

Same here. I don’t need the latest and greatest.

If it can still make a phone call, I keep it.

Last month my phone died - hard - and I got a new phone after 7 years. It was loaded will all sorts of horseshit, which I promptly deleted. I wanna make phone calls, access AOL and FB, and google maps. All those other apps are useless to me.

This new phone better go 5 years or better . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Fumanchewd 07 Aug 20, 00:48Post
I currently have a 3 year old HTC... the last smart phone with a removable battery I've heard.

Usually mine last 2-3 years.

Always android but my work has recently given me an Apple Iphone 8. I'm not a fan and use both.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
captoveur 07 Aug 20, 16:25Post
Until they die.

I had been running an iPhone 5s since late 2013 until just a couple months ago. Now I have an iPhone 10
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.