You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

No More Stick Shift

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

vikkyvik 10 Oct 18, 16:21Post
Bit of a self-gloss, and also whatever the opposite of a self-gloss is.

Self-gloss: got a new (slightly used) car. 2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring, with 13K + change miles. Traded in my Mazda 6. Decided I wanted something larger and more comfortable. Also wanted an automatic, so I don't have to do all the driving* on road trips and such, since my wife doesn't drive stick.

Loving the car so far. Handling is great (quite comparable to the Mazda 6), it's got some good pickup (2.5L turbo), and it feels incredibly solid.

Non-self-gloss: after ~12 years, I no longer have a stick shift. :( Maybe some time in the future, I'll get one (if I can find one). But for now, an auto is just more practical.

And honestly, even though driving stick is totally second-nature, I didn't quite realize how much I didn't look forward to driving 24 miles home in traffic every afternoon.

* I will probably still be doing all the driving.

symphonicpoet 11 Oct 18, 06:59Post
^See, when you have one nice practical car that your partner in crime will drive, and you have enough space in your garage (and budget) for a second car . . . Mazda has an answer for you. With a stick shift.

Miata.

You know you want one. And maybe your wife will even want to learn to drive it. (It only half worked for me, but it's always worth a shot.)
captoveur 18 Oct 18, 13:33Post
Growing up near a large Air Force Base, seeing a Miata said one thing:

"I just made Major and this is the coolest car my wife would let me buy"
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
vikkyvik 18 Oct 18, 15:12Post
symphonicpoet wrote:Miata.You know you want one.

Actually, I don't. I don't think I'll ever get a car that small.

Nothing against Miatas. Just doubt I'll ever want to downsize to that extent.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 18 Oct 18, 21:22Post
There are a lot of CX9s up here in the metro. CX-5s too for that matter. I've really enjoyed putting 60K or so miles on mine the past two years.
Make Orwell fiction again.
symphonicpoet 19 Oct 18, 08:57Post
vikkyvik wrote:Actually, I don't. I don't think I'll ever get a car that small.

Nothing against Miatas. Just doubt I'll ever want to downsize to that extent.

They are pretty small. I have to give you that. I'm not sure the average golf cart is any smaller. On the other hand, they still seem to sell the Mazda 6 Sport with a manual transmission, and that's a nice roomy car. Very pretty. If you have a two car garage there's surely room for something with a stick, right? Doesn't even need to be a Mazda. Even my dad's Buick Verano has a stick and drives fun. (With heated leather seats and a heated steering wheel. THAT is kind of sweet on a cold winter day.) Anyway . . . good luck finding a fun ride that's spacious enough.

Alternately, if you can't get a manual transmission maybe you can get something with rudder pedals. Even better!
vikkyvik 19 Oct 18, 13:53Post
symphonicpoet wrote:On the other hand, they still seem to sell the Mazda 6 Sport with a manual transmission, and that's a nice roomy car.

I know, my previous car was a Mazda 6.

But they don't offer the stick shift with the turbo engine, which disappoints me, so I wouldn't buy another one. If I were to get a Mazda 6, I'd get an automatic.

Anyway, it's all academic, since I don't currently want a stick, and I don't know if I will in the future or not!

symphonicpoet wrote:Alternately, if you can't get a manual transmission maybe you can get something with rudder pedals. Even better!

Maybe one day...

ShyFlyer wrote:There are a lot of CX9s up here in the metro. CX-5s too for that matter. I've really enjoyed putting 60K or so miles on mine the past two years.

Lots of CX-5s down here, but I don't see CX-9s very often. I had a CX-5 rental a couple months ago, and it was pretty good. Just wanted something larger.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 19 Oct 18, 14:35Post
symphonicpoet wrote:Alternately, if you can't get a manual transmission maybe you can get something with rudder pedals. Even better!

Deep six those flappy paddles BS. {thumbsdown}

May as well have an ATX...
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 19 Oct 18, 15:50Post
Six speed manual, Baby.

Millennial anti-theft device.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
captoveur 31 Oct 18, 14:56Post
miamiair wrote:Six speed manual, Baby.

When I was trying to get rid of my old Accord (with a 5 speed manual). I left it parked on the street, unlocked, with the keys and title on the passenger seat. Nobody took it in over a month.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 Oct 18, 15:59Post
miamiair wrote:Six speed manual, Baby.

Not in the UK, we almost all learn in manuals over here. It's definitely a skill worth picking up.
A million great ideas...
symphonicpoet 31 Oct 18, 17:38Post
^Last time I was in Vietnam I was surprised all the cabbies are still driving sticks. But . . . they are more durable. Still. Last I checked, anyway. Cheaper and more durable, so long as you don't mind learning to deal with them. My sister in law had to learn stick just to sell them at Saigon Ford. Even though she's never owned anything bigger than a scooter herself.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 31 Oct 18, 18:30Post
I almost bought a mint 1989 Taurus SHO this week.

Guy already had a deposit down on it. {grumpy}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
captoveur 02 Nov 18, 14:58Post
I drive a 6 speed Civic. Wasn't cheaper but is more durable.

As far as having to deal with it. It isn't even that much of a headache in traffic. I just can't eat or otherwise dork around while driving. Yeah, I have to pay attention to the road... the horror.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 02 Nov 18, 22:17Post
I am philosophically opposed to manual transmissions. A car is a machine created to do work on my behalf, not the other way around.
symphonicpoet 03 Nov 18, 08:21Post
^Airbus guy? (Says the guy who can barely fly a simulator.)
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 03 Nov 18, 13:19Post
As someone raised on manual, there is not much more infuriating than driving a Mustang convertible along the Big Sur road and spending most of the time waiting for the transmission to catch up.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 03 Nov 18, 22:16Post
symphonicpoet wrote:^Airbus guy?

No.
vikkyvik 04 Nov 18, 04:07Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I am philosophically opposed to manual transmissions. A car is a machine created to do work on my behalf, not the other way around.

Though I don't subscribe to it, I completely understand that philosophy and can't blame anyone for feeling that way.

symphonicpoet wrote:^Airbus guy?

{laugh}

ShanwickOceanic wrote:As someone raised on manual, there is not much more infuriating than driving a Mustang convertible along the Big Sur road and spending most of the time waiting for the transmission to catch up.

I would think driving along the Big Sur road and having a landslide sweep you over the cliff and into the ocean would be more infuriating, but perhaps not.

GQfluffy wrote:I almost bought a mint 1989 Taurus SHO this week.

Oh man, a friend had one of those in high school (probably an early or mid-90s model). Lotta fun.

My senior year in high school, I had a '95 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.5L V6. That thing was awesome, and I've sort of always wanted to get another one.

captoveur wrote:I drive a 6 speed Civic.

My last two cars (Mazda 3 and 6) have been 6-speeds. I've always wanted a 7-speed manual.

GQfluffy wrote:Deep six those flappy paddles BS.

He did say rudder pedals...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 05 Nov 18, 15:20Post
vikkyvik wrote:
GQfluffy wrote:I almost bought a mint 1989 Taurus SHO this week.

Oh man, a friend had one of those in high school (probably an early or mid-90s model). Lotta fun.

My senior year in high school, I had a '95 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.5L V6. That thing was awesome, and I've sort of always wanted to get another one.

You're most likely in the same boat as I am; I don't need a second vehicle...it was just a perfek situation...until I was too late and someone had already put a deposit on it.

But yeah I had a '91 SHO as my first vehicle. Loved/loathed that car. Also was young...dumb and had no clue how to maintain it as she's rather...finicky. {sigh}

This thing was a beauty...oh well...maybe another one will come along...if not... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still saving/looking for that '69/'70 Dodge Charger to rebuild, too... :))