You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

St. Lucia Qs

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Oct 17, 21:44Post
Hey, has anyone here stayed in St. Lucia? Looking to book a flight next month and wondering if I should stay on the South side of the island or the North. (Plus any good day-excursions via airplane or whatnot!)

Thanks!
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 12 Oct 17, 12:59Post
Lucas wrote:Hey, has anyone here stayed in St. Lucia? Looking to book a flight next month and wondering if I should stay on the South side of the island or the North. (Plus any good day-excursions via airplane or whatnot!)

Thanks!

Yes I went there for a holiday about 7 or 8 years ago and loved it. It's a beautiful island - very green and hilly with lots of banana plantations and a beautiful coastline.

I'm assuming you are looking on the west side of the island - that's the key rather than north or south. The west is the sheltered side with the best weather, the east side is the Atlantic side and much more exposed.

Most of the nice resorts are more to the northwest of the island, up the coast from the capital Castries. However there are also some very exclusive and nice ones further south close to the Pitons (the most famous landmarks on the island and what is shown on all the pics.

You don't want to be at the resorts down in the most southerly part of the island as that is close to Hewanorra Airport, which is where the European flights all come in to (I'm assuming from the US you could end up flying into Castries Airport). The resorts down there tend to be cheaper and not so nice if I recall rightly.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Oct 17, 17:54Post
Thanks, Cornish. You're right! I am looking about booking at the Marigot Bay, in between Soufriere (Pitons) and Gros Islet (NW and all the tourist crap). But I really think that being near the Pitons might be the nicest bet.

Of course I realized last night that I can just do the NW this winter and the Pitons next spring if I really like it. :P

Let me know if you have any must-do recommendations! I am hoping to climb a piton, scuba dive, maybe do a day trip to Martinique, and of course go ocean fishing. :)
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 13 Oct 17, 10:47Post
Where you are looking to go close to the Pitons is said to be one of the nicest areas I think.

In terms of things to do, I confess we did very little indeed when we went. It was at a time where we had been working really hard and just wanted a lazy relaxing holiday in a great location. So we mainly hung out at the resort: on the beach, in the sea, in the pool and drinking cocktails :)

However we did do the helicopter transfers Between Hewanaorra Airpot (where we flew into and out of from UK) and Castries Airport. That involved a spectacular ride over the Pitons, so a helicopter trip might be a fun thing to do and not expensive - although you might just want to hike up the things (if you can). :))

But anything that appeals Ocean-wise will be worth doing. The coast, the beach and the sea were lovely there. Wherever you stay will doubtless have a good range of things on offer as activities and excursions and should be help to arrange anything not on their list.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Oct 17, 07:53Post
VERY valuable insights!!!

After looking things up, I found out that I can do a helicopter b/w airports for not much more than a car shuttle. From there I can rent a cheap car or use the free shuttle to the Windjammer, which I chose for this trio. I might go back to the Boucan by Hotel Chocolat in April when they will supposedly have installed eco-AC. But the Windjammer had the best reviews and I got a total of 15.5% cash back for it. :D

I'll be using the money I saved from the resort I was going to book (about $1500) to do other excursions. For flights, I picked Jetblue down (never tried), and a BA 777, 738, and A319 back. Never been on a BA738, and it gives me a free 8th day in Trinidad and Tobago, which is worth having to sleep an extra redeye on.