You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

Trains & Train Travel

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 21 Mar 17, 21:53Post
I swear once upon a time that there was a lengthy thread about trains and train travel. Can't find it, so here's a new one instead.

The girlfriend and I are taking our first real vacation together in June, and doing some traveling via train. Back when I lived in the UK, I used to travel via rail a lot, so I'm unreasonably excited to have some varied train travel around. The plans thus far (all journeys are roundtrip):

Hanborough to London Paddington on GWR, First Class

London St. Pancras to Paris Gare Du Norde on Eurostar, Standard Class

London King's Cross to Edinburgh Waverly on Virgin Trains East Coast, First Class

It'll be fun to experience some variance in carriers. I haven't done the Edinburgh <-> King's Cross run since GNER were running that route back in the early 2000's.

Any other rail fans here?
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Mar 17, 23:41Post
Love Trains

The Coast Starlight, LAX to SEA . . . better scenery (if your Alaskan, you've seen the mountains like in Oregon) . . . take the trip south to north.

It's Amtrak, I know, but get the sleeper, with the Pacific Parlor Car as a lounge. Don't that trip several times. South to North is the best. Do It.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Mark 21 Mar 17, 23:56Post
I did a 5500 mile Amtrak trip in 1984. MSP to PDX to LAX to LAS to SLC to CHI to MSP with stops along the way. It took a month. The train cost $199. The hotels were a little more.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 22 Mar 17, 00:54Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Love Trains

The Coast Starlight, LAX to SEA . . . better scenery (if your Alaskan, you've seen the mountains like in Oregon) . . . take the trip south to north.

It's Amtrak, I know, but get the sleeper, with the Pacific Parlor Car as a lounge. Don't that trip several times. South to North is the best. Do It.

This kind of thing is on my radar, as well as one or two of the East - West routes.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 22 Mar 17, 01:26Post
I'd like to do more train travel. So far, my only experience with it was getting around London. Day trip only though, as I was never able to sleep in a moving vehicle. At least not very well.

Went to a model train show a couple of weekends ago. That was really enjoyable.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Mar 17, 03:48Post
I've always wanted to ride a train! Especially an SD70ACe.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 22 Mar 17, 13:43Post
FB_IMG_1489621793053.jpg
FB_IMG_1489621793053.jpg (76.12 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
helvknight (Founding Member) 22 Mar 17, 14:16Post
Lucas wrote:I've always wanted to ride a train! Especially an SD70ACe.

Better Not Start a Family then.
Hire Engineers to drive the vision and execute a plan. Hire MBAs to shuffle the papers and work in sales. Hire Accountants to manage your staff working a viable livable wage, and never have either an Accountant or an MBA run your company. - Steve Jobs
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Mar 17, 04:35Post
I knew that my past would come back to bite me in my single tukus!
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 24 Mar 17, 17:46Post
Train fan and driver here - nothing quite so glamourous as Eurostar though :|
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
helvknight (Founding Member) 24 Mar 17, 23:26Post
mhodgson wrote:Train fan and driver here - nothing quite so glamourous as Eurostar though :|

To put it mildly

Hire Engineers to drive the vision and execute a plan. Hire MBAs to shuffle the papers and work in sales. Hire Accountants to manage your staff working a viable livable wage, and never have either an Accountant or an MBA run your company. - Steve Jobs
halls120 (Plank Owner) 27 Mar 17, 01:39Post
I'm a big Acela fan - use it frequently between DC and NY.

Someday I would like to ride these:

Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad
Ethan Allen Express
Rocky Mountaineer
Coastal Classic
At home in the PNW and loving it
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 27 Mar 17, 02:09Post
halls120 wrote:Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad

When I was a kid, my dad took me on the 15-inch gauge RHDR, still active today. I think that's where my earliest fascination with trains started. I hope to revisit it on some future trip back to England.

http://www.rhdr.org.uk
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Mar 17, 05:39Post
For you nerds.

Mark 27 Mar 17, 15:28Post
Back in the day, the Twin Cities 400 used to go through my little town at 80 mph. It was able to make the trip from Minneapolis to Chicago in 400 minutes. There's an attempt to expand the Twin Cities' commuter rail link to the east, which would bring passenger traffic back to the rail line through my town. The track is already good for 60 mph for freight and 80 mph for passenger trains. The commuter link would run from St. Paul Union Station to Eau Claire.

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 13 Jun 17, 16:06Post
On the VTEC train back to King's Cross last week, I noticed another train company. The name, font, and colour scheme look incredible similar to an airline of a similar name. As far as I can tell, they're completely unrelated.

vikkyvik 13 Jun 17, 16:23Post
IFEMaster wrote:On the VTEC train back to King's Cross last week, I noticed another train company. The name, font, and colour scheme look incredible similar to an airline of a similar name. As far as I can tell, they're completely unrelated.

A certain someone actually mentioned exactly that when WN unveiled their new livery:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20095&hilit=southwest
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jun 17, 17:16Post
IFEMaster wrote:On the VTEC train back to King's Cross last week, I noticed another train company.

Ah, good old Stagecoach South West, the only company giving Southeastern a run for their money in the 'just how shit can we be before the government take our franchise back' competition.

IFEMaster wrote:As far as I can tell, they're completely unrelated.

No relation at all. Stagecoach (the bus company) own and operate South Western, occasionally, but not often, with some semblance of competency. I believe their colours come from the flag of the County/region of Avon.
A million great ideas...