You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

Weddings - Semi-Formal

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 26 May 16, 20:31Post
So I'm going to a wedding this weekend. Invite says dress "semi-formal." It's scheduled for late afternoon outdoors.

To me, this means button up shirt, dress pants & shoes. The Google tells me many things from full suit & tie to collared shirt, no tie or jacket.

What's the consensus here? You'd think we as a society we'd have such things figured out but...
Make Orwell fiction again.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 May 16, 22:15Post
Well, in 'laska, semi-formal means you button up your Carhart Shirt except for the top button.

In my current locale, I'd go with no tie, bring a sports coat just in case, slacks and shoes. No jeans. Blah Blah Blah. In New Mehico? I got no idea.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 26 May 16, 22:44Post
Sports coat at least.

SEMI-FORMAL
Somewhere between formal and casual, depending on the time of the event

• Women: Wear a knee-length cocktail dress, a little black dress, a dressy skirt and top, or even slacks with a dressy blouse.

• Men: Wear a suit and tie in a dark or light color, depending on the season and the time of day, or dress pants with a collared shirt and jacket. Add dressy leather shoes.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 27 May 16, 01:28Post
ANCFlyer wrote:In New Mehico? I got no idea.

I've lived here all my life and I got no idea. {laugh}

I typically go shirt and tie to these things and haven't felt "out of place."

miamiair wrote: Sports coat at least.

Seems reasonable, especially since northern NM is still fairly chilly this time of year.

Thanks!
CentrelinePhoto 27 May 16, 11:20Post
The English take on this (or should I say MY English take on this?) is...

Smart suit (not patterned), in a dark(ish) colour
Crisp, plain white, long sleeved button up shirt with the top button undone
No tie
Smart shoes and belt in a different colour to the suit, eg dark blue suit, tan coloured shoes and belt

{twocents}
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 27 May 16, 11:24Post
Slacks and a button-up, no tie, and a sports coat in the car.
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 May 16, 11:34Post
ORFflyer wrote:Slacks and a button-up, no tie, and a sports coat in the car.

{check}
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Mark 27 May 16, 12:29Post
ORFflyer wrote:Slacks and a button-up, no tie, and a sports coat in the car.

Yep. I'd even sub a good-quality polo for the button-up.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 27 May 16, 13:07Post
Mark wrote: I'd even sub a good-quality polo for the button-up.

A polo with dress slacks is my standard business casual so it doesn't seem to fit a wedding environment.

CentrelinePhoto wrote:The English take on this

I like this idea.
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 27 May 16, 13:19Post
ShyFlyer wrote:A polo with dress slacks is my standard business casual so it doesn't seem to fit a wedding environment.

I wear Dockers and a golf shirt M-Th, and jeans and a golf-shirt on Friday's - like you, I go another step for something like a wedding.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 27 May 16, 15:53Post
CentrelinePhoto wrote:The English take on this (or should I say MY English take on this?) is...

Smart suit (not patterned), in a dark(ish) colour
Crisp, plain white, long sleeved button up shirt with the top button undone
No tie
Smart shoes and belt in a different colour to the suit, eg dark blue suit, tan coloured shoes and belt

{twocents}

Is what I'd go for (though perhaps the shirt might be another light colour) - plus it's easier to dress down if it goes that way; you can remove a jacket if that's what everyone else is doing; but if you go in under dressed you can't magic one up!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Fumanchewd 28 May 16, 22:52Post
I think it depends on the region too, as ANC noted.

Here and in California its common to go to see just slacks and a polo. I went to a funeral last summer where a couple of guys showed up in jeans and a tshirt. I disagree with doing that but people weren't shocked or upset by it.

East Coast and Midwest is a whole different set of rules.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
vikkyvik 29 May 16, 05:47Post
ShyFlyer wrote:A polo with dress slacks is my standard business casual so it doesn't seem to fit a wedding environment.

{check}

Slacks (dark or khakhi) with polo or button-down is pretty standard business casual.

Semi-formal indicates tie, and usually jacket.

At least, those are views.

Fumanchewd wrote:Here and in California its common to go to see just slacks and a polo. I went to a funeral last summer where a couple of guys showed up in jeans and a tshirt. I disagree with doing that but people weren't shocked or upset by it.

Californai is ridiculousy casual, which I generally like for things like going out to eat. But my views of business casual and semi-formal haven't changed (though like you said, I don't get shocked or offended).
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 29 May 16, 20:53Post
Well, thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions everyone. Suit+tie was the way to go.

The wedding was great, my cousin was stunning and her new husband (whom I met for the first time this weekend) seems like a really great guy.
vikkyvik 29 May 16, 23:08Post
vikkyvik wrote:At least, those are views.

"those are MY views"

vikkyvik wrote:Californai

"California"

vikkyvik wrote:ridiculousy

"ridiculously"

Goddamn....sorry. Was late last night, must not have been seeing/thinking clearly.
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 31 May 16, 11:56Post
Fumanchewd wrote: I went to a funeral last summer where a couple of guys showed up in jeans and a tshirt. I disagree with doing that but people weren't shocked or upset by it.

I see that here in SE VA frequently, and it doesn't seem to bother anyone. Depending on the funeral, and how well I knew the person, I will go in "business casual", as that is how most folks go to a funeral these days. If it is someone that was "old-school" type, I'll be in coat and tie.