You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

Waffle Recipes

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Mar 16, 10:03Post
The latest addition to my vast array of kitchen devices is a circular rotating waffle iron. Having looked around the interwebs there are thousands of recipes out there for waffle batter, so do any of our culinary types have a decent recipe they use?

Also, are any of the pre-made mixes any good?
A million great ideas...
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 23 Mar 16, 10:18Post
Paging Pep!
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Mar 16, 10:49Post
http://www.krusteaz.com/products/pancak ... waffle-mix

My personal favorite.

Taste is homemade.

Making them from scratch is a PITA and messy.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 23 Mar 16, 11:14Post
Stayed at a hotel in SLC that had one of those things in the breakfast room. I was intrigued, but took 15 minutes to work out that the cartons of milk were actually waffle mix {facepalm}
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
bhmbaglock 23 Mar 16, 12:42Post
Most important thing IMO is to use real eggs. Separate them and add the yolks to the batter. At the last minute, fold the whites in for really fluffy waffles.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Mar 16, 13:10Post
I really don't want to use a mix if I can get away with it, though I might get some just for trial purposes. I don't mind getting messy - there's always something cooking in this house so that's not an issue.

bhmbaglock wrote:Most important thing IMO is to use real eggs. Separate them and add the yolks to the batter. At the last minute, fold the whites in for really fluffy waffles.

Great tip, I've seen this mentioned on a couple of recipes {thumbsup}
A million great ideas...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 23 Mar 16, 15:28Post
I tried the krusteaz pancake mix last weekend and my waffles sucked.

Of course it wasn't the "Belgian waffle/pancake" mix... {bored}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
bhmbaglock 23 Mar 16, 18:50Post
One other thing. Toppings. Fruit toppings are great but if you're going to do syrup, only real maple. No maple "flavor", Aunt Jemima, etc. Just the real stuff. Real butter too, no margarine. While I'm on it, real whipped cream is great but Redi-Whip, etc. just suck.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Mar 16, 20:01Post
bhmbaglock wrote:One other thing. Toppings. Fruit toppings are great but if you're going to do syrup, only real maple. No maple "flavor", Aunt Jemima, etc. Just the real stuff. Real butter too, no margarine. While I'm on it, real whipped cream is great but Redi-Whip, etc. just suck.

Emphasis Mine: {thumbsup} {thumbsup} {thumbsup} {thumbsup}

I still use a Belgian Mix. My wife would do it the hard way . . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 29 Mar 16, 17:00Post
In the end I went for the following recipe which made six full waffles:

250g plain flour
8g baking powder
30g sugar
2 eggs
475ml milk
30g sunflower oil
pinch of salt
dash of vanilla essence.

I separated the eggs and mixed the whites in last minute with the sunflower oil, it worked a treat in keeping the batter from becoming heavy. I'll probably add a little more sugar (or maybe use pure cane rather than caster) next time but otherwise they were very good, especially with some Danish maple syrup I picked up at a Scandinavian shop at the weekend {thumbsup}
A million great ideas...