You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

ChromeOS to fold into Android

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 30 Oct 15, 02:20Post
Looks like Google's Chrome OS is out and Android will be developed to take it's place.

Alphabet Inc. ’s Google plans to fold its Chrome operating system for personal computers into its Android mobile operating system, according to people familiar with the matter, a sign of the growing dominance of mobile computing.

Google engineers have been working for roughly two years to combine the operating systems and have made progress recently, two of the people said. The company plans to unveil its new, single operating system in 2017, but expects to show off an early version next year, one of the people said.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/alphabets-g ... 4?mod=e2fb

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I've never used ChromeOS largely since it's so Internet connectivity dependent. I still prefer my applications to be installed locally and don't have the benefit of access to high-speed internet that isn't capped at 13GB per month. I've used Android both in phone and tablet forms and found it...disappointing.
Make Orwell fiction again.