You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

Strong Drinks

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 15 Nov 12, 14:45Post
We've got the Fireball!!! thread going.

What knock your socks off drinks do/did you consume?

Back in the days, I would drink Zombies and Boston Tea Party

Zombie recipe
1 1/4 oz lemon juice
2 dashes grenadine syrup
3/4 oz orange juice
3/4 oz Heering® cherry liqueur
3/4 oz white rum
2 oz dark rum
3/4 oz 151 proof rum

Shake over ice in a shaker, and strain into a large highball glass over crushed ice.

Boston tea Party

1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz rum
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz triple sec
1/2 oz amaretto almond liqueur
1/2 oz Tia Maria® coffee liqueur
1/2 oz Grand Marnier® orange liqueur
2 oz sweet and sour mix
5 oz Coca-Cola®

Combine all ingredients (except coca-cola) in a shaker, shake and strain over ice, or combine ingredients in a collins glass with ice and shake. Top with coke, garnish with a lemon wedge, and serve.

Now it is either red wine, an occasional beer(s) or straight Whiskeys.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Mark 15 Nov 12, 16:29Post
I used to drink double Black Russians. When in London, I'd always have the bartender mix double-strength Hurricanes. Two of those in half an hour and then play in the Tube.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
vikkyvik 15 Nov 12, 17:44Post
I used to love Long Island Iced Tea. When you get a bartender who really knows how to make it, it's amazing how much it actually tastes like iced tea.

Equal parts vodka, gin, rum, tequila, triple sec.
Sour mix
Coke

Or something like that.

Also used to be a big fan of Surfer On Acid, a shooter containing:

Jagermeister
Malibu Rum
Pineapple Juice

And of course, nothing beats an Irish Car Bomb or three:

Shot glass containing Bailey's Irish Creme topped with Irish whiskey (typically Jameson if I remember correctly). Drop into half a pint of Guinness and chug. If you drink it too slowly, you will regret it as it starts to curdle....which is disgusting.

Nowadays, I stick to (regular) iced tea, Coke, ginger ale, and water.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 16 Nov 12, 00:58Post
I agree with Vik on Long Islands.
captoveur 16 Nov 12, 02:54Post
Makers Mark, Ice.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
Nosedive 16 Nov 12, 06:21Post
vikkyvik wrote:And of course, nothing beats an Irish Car Bomb or three:

Stop. Just stop.

captoveur wrote:Makers Mark, Ice.

This.

Old Fashioneds & Irish Coffees.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Nov 12, 10:22Post
captoveur wrote:Makers Mark, Ice.

FTFY.

miamiair wrote:Back in the days, I would drink Zombies and Boston Tea Party

There's a place in Antigua that makes a seven-rum zombie with every strength from 70 to 151. I once carried a South African rugby player back to his hotel from there after he made the fatal error of challenging me to a last man standing drinking duel. His wife still isn't speaking to me :))

A local cocktail bar make a thing called '5 O'clock in the morning', which (as far as I can tell) is any five shots of various spirits topped up with a fruit syrup and some kind of bitters. Strange things tend to happen after a few of those...
A million great ideas...
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 16 Nov 12, 14:11Post
Back in the day it was purple-passion. Grain alcohol, vodka, gin and rum - all thrown into a trash-can with grape juice, and all sorts of fruits.....
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 16 Nov 12, 14:13Post
ORFflyer wrote:Back in the day it was purple-passion. Grain alcohol, vodka, gin and rum - all thrown into a trash-can with grape juice, and all sorts of fruits.....

I used to make a mean torpedo juice back at the frat house... Either Everclear or Bacardi 151 was the main ingredient.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Nosedive 16 Nov 12, 21:55Post
miamiair wrote:
ORFflyer wrote:Back in the day it was purple-passion. Grain alcohol, vodka, gin and rum - all thrown into a trash-can with grape juice, and all sorts of fruits.....

I used to make a mean torpedo juice back at the frat house... Either Everclear or Bacardi 151 was the main ingredient.

Mine's been vodka. Soju also works, but the hangover's awful.
vikkyvik 16 Nov 12, 23:53Post
Nosedive wrote:Stop. Just stop.

Aw, what's wrong? Can't handle them?
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Nov 12, 02:52Post
Does tequila count? :P
Money can't buy happiness; but it can get you flying, which is pretty much the same.
Nosedive 17 Nov 12, 06:13Post
vikkyvik wrote:
Nosedive wrote:Stop. Just stop.

Aw, what's wrong? Can't handle them?

Yes, but anyone who drinks a car bomb after college is a total jackass.
vikkyvik 17 Nov 12, 10:02Post
Nosedive wrote:Yes, but anyone who drinks a car bomb after college is a total jackass.

Fair enough. I certainly haven't drank one (or any other alcohol) since college.
Nosedive 17 Nov 12, 21:21Post
vikkyvik wrote:
Nosedive wrote:Yes, but anyone who drinks a car bomb after college is a total jackass.

Fair enough. I certainly haven't drank one (or any other alcohol) since college.

Damn teetotaler.

Mark 17 Nov 12, 21:30Post
Nosedive wrote:

Damn teetotaler.

I have to admit that I sometimes miss alcohol. So many new specialty beers and I can't have any of them. {sigh}

I did lick a bottle cap from Shiner bock a couple years ago. {angel}
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
vikkyvik 18 Nov 12, 00:57Post
Mark wrote:I have to admit that I sometimes miss alcohol. So many new specialty beers and I can't have any of them.

Seriously. I don't really miss the getting-drunk-and-having-a-hangover part of it. But the other day, I met a bunch of former coworkers at a local microbrewery, and that's the stuff I miss - being able to try the microbrews and such.
Fumanchewd 19 Nov 12, 06:24Post
Again, mostly the good Scotch lately but here's an interesting idea....

Just call it a Hooters shooter.

A German liquor company called G-Spirits is promising customers that “every drop” of its line of alcoholic beverages has been poured on the naked breasts of a certified model — with her approval, of course.

The brand sells rum, whisky and vodka, necessary for making a truly dirty martini.

Want to get close to a Playmate of the Year?

The booze brand brags that its barrel-aged whisky has been thoroughly splashed on the ample bosom of Alexa Varga, Hungary’s 2012 Playboy Playmate of the Year.

For 139 euros (around $180 plus shipping), says the firm, you will find “its unbelievably versatile flavors range from roasted almonds, dried fruit, and toffee, to honey, vanilla, baked apples and cinnamon. Its finish is harmonic, well-balanced, spicy and long-lasting.”

The company claims that the stock is limited to a mere 5000 bottles and comes with a certificate, including the original signature of the model and the bottle number, which proves that “every single drop” touched the model’s flesh.

For a somewhat thriftier option, ($165) customers can purchase the rum, which lacks the flavor characteristics of having touched a Playmate.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/e ... -1.1172175
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Cadet57 19 Nov 12, 20:22Post
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 04 Dec 12, 01:45Post
Springbrank 12. {thumbsup} {thumbsup}
Fumanchewd 04 Dec 12, 04:30Post
My first Japanese Single Malt Whiskey.

Yum, new taste. Finished that 12 year bottle in one night and one afternoon.

I'd give it a high 8/10. Might try the 18 year next.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."