You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

Read Anything Good Lately?

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Dec 12, 14:40Post
Cadet57 wrote:I used to read his books constantly right up until college and then it was textbooks from there on out. Last one I read was Red Rabbit. {vsad}

I have no idea where I need to start back up. {facepalm}

Did not care for Red Rabbit.

Here's a list of his fictional stuff:

The Hunt for Red October (1984)

Red Storm Rising (1986)(Not part of the Ryan series)

Patriot Games (1987)

The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1988)

Clear and Present Danger (1989)

The Sum of All Fears (1991)

Without Remorse (1993)

Debt of Honor (1994)

Executive Orders (1996)

Rainbow Six (1998)

The Bear and the Dragon (2000)

Red Rabbit (2002)

The Teeth of the Tiger (2003)

Dead or Alive (2010, with Grant Blackwood)

Against All Enemies (2011, with Peter Telep)

Locked On (Dec 2011, with Mark Greaney)

Threat Vector (Dec 2012, with Mark Greaney)
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Dec 12, 15:50Post
Boris wrote:

Maybe when I finish with Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller I'll dig out Jack Ryan and read all of them again...

Another great series . . . W.E.B. Griffin "The Brotherhood of War". I've read the entire series several times.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Dec 12, 15:56Post
ANCFlyer wrote:
Boris wrote:

Maybe when I finish with Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller I'll dig out Jack Ryan and read all of them again...

Another great series . . . W.E.B. Griffin "The Brotherhood of War". I've read the entire series several times.

Al of his books are great. He's got another one coming out at the end of this month.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Tom in NO 18 Dec 12, 16:07Post
Just finished up:

Have always enjoyed his Dirk Pitt series, have the entire collection on the bookshelf.

Now I'm waiting my turn to read Bill O'Reilly's "Killing Kennedy"
"Tramps like us"-Bruce Springsteen
Boris (Founding Member) 18 Dec 12, 16:47Post
miamiair wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:
Boris wrote:

Al of his books are great. He's got another one coming out at the end of this month.

I reread Brotherhood of War and The Corps last spring after about 20 years. I ran across them when I was going through old stuff out in my garage. I was missing a few that had come out since 1992 or so, so I filled in my collection.

The new one this month is the next in the Honor Bound series. Griffin's co-writing that with his son, and the co-written ones are good, but not quite the same.
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers...
Cadet57 18 Dec 12, 19:08Post
miamiair wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:I used to read his books constantly right up until college and then it was textbooks from there on out. Last one I read was Red Rabbit. {vsad}

I have no idea where I need to start back up. {facepalm}

Did not care for Red Rabbit.

Here's a list of his fictional stuff:

The Hunt for Red October (1984)

Red Storm Rising (1986)(Not part of the Ryan series)

Patriot Games (1987)

The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1988)

Clear and Present Danger (1989)

The Sum of All Fears (1991)

Without Remorse (1993)

Debt of Honor (1994)

Executive Orders (1996)

Rainbow Six (1998)

The Bear and the Dragon (2000)

Red Rabbit (2002)

The Teeth of the Tiger (2003)

Dead or Alive (2010, with Grant Blackwood)

Against All Enemies (2011, with Peter Telep)

Locked On (Dec 2011, with Mark Greaney)

Threat Vector (Dec 2012, with Mark Greaney)

Thanks for that. Seems i'm only down a few books since I've read everything upto and including Red Rabbit. Maybe once the new year starts...
Fumanchewd 20 Dec 12, 19:55Post
I just bought Spitfire: Icon of A Nation at Barns and Noble for $12 from their discounted books area.

By no means the best Spitfire book, but for this price its a great deal.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
halls120 (Plank Owner) 24 Dec 12, 02:26Post
Boris wrote:

MsHalls120 and I are huge Michael Connelly fans. Unlike some other "famous" authors who no longer really write their books (and it shows), Connelly novels are always a great read.
At home in the PNW and loving it
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 27 Feb 13, 11:10Post
The Forgotten by David Baldacci. A very good read that you don't want to put down, just like the The Innocent.

Next on the plate for a trip to LIS: Men In Black by Mark Levin.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 01 Mar 13, 09:19Post
I loved the following especially:
Red Storm Rising
The Sum of All Fears
Without Remorse
Rainbow Six

If you like those, read "Red Phoenix" by Larry Bond.

I've read a few recently, mostly science (non-fiction), religion, and some fantasy.

The Eternity Artifact by LE Modesitt, Jr. was pretty interesting. Made me think of astrophysics in a much different way.
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 05 Mar 13, 22:47Post
Last month I read Steve Jobs' biography and the Fifty Shades trilogy (no, I'm not joking).

This month I've read The Positive Dog by Jon Gordon, and I'm half way through Man On The Moon by Andrew Chaikin.

Next month I have Suede: Love & Poison (an authorized biography) by David Barnett, and Men From Earth by Buzz Aldrin lined up.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 29 Aug 13, 00:34Post

Deal with the Devil: The FBI's Secret Thirty-Year Relationship with a Mafia Killer

Link

A mafia hood played the Feds like a fiddle. The FBI handler is/was dirty IMO, after reading the book.
JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 29 Aug 13, 01:52Post
IFEMaster wrote:...and I'm half way through Man On The Moon by Andrew Chaikin.

That's my favorite book about manned spaceflight--a wonderful read. The chapter about Apollo 8 is the one I found most exciting.

miamiair wrote:A mafia hood played the Feds like a fiddle. The FBI handler is/was dirty IMO, after reading the book.

Just downloaded it--thanks for the tip. {thumbsup}

I'm currently reading First Light by Richard Preston, written in the 1980s about the hunt for quasars. The techniques used back then that were cutting edge pale in comparison to what's available now, though still very impressive.

halls120 (Plank Owner) 29 Aug 13, 11:38Post
Reading Dan Brown's "The Inferno" at the moment. Especially nice because the book is set in Florence, and we were there earlier this year.
At home in the PNW and loving it
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 29 Aug 13, 11:47Post
halls120 wrote:Reading Dan Brown's "The Inferno" at the moment. Especially nice because the book is set in Florence, and we were there earlier this year.

Good read, which is typical for most of his books. Deception Point sucked ass.
Nosedive 08 Sep 13, 18:24Post
World War Z. Damn good. Brad Pitt slaughtered this book to make his movie.
Fumanchewd 09 Sep 13, 19:38Post
I've been reading Dr. Zhivago by Pasternak, and I have to say that I almost put it down at the beginning as being clumsy and untalented, but I have come to realize that he started simply and worked into magnificent complexity.

I should be done in a few weeks and plan to see the movie for the first time when I finish. Remarkably but no suprisingly enough, everyone who sees me reading it goes straight to the Omar comments but know nothing about the book
Fumanchewd 11 Sep 13, 06:11Post
Looking on Amazon for the next read and I can't decide.

http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships- ... s_indust_5

http://www.amazon.com/Stray-Shopping-Ca ... im_sbs_b_1

Imagehttp://www.amazon.com/Cookin-Coolio-Star-Meals-Price/dp/1439117616/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Lesbian- ... im_sbs_b_6
Boris (Founding Member) 11 Sep 13, 17:51Post
Fumanchewd wrote:Looking on Amazon for the next read and I can't decide.

I checked it out and I think I'll skip it.

They've got a Used Paperback for $436.50, {bugeye}

or you can get a Used Hardback in good condition for $3,420.04 plus four bucks shipping... {crazy}
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers...
Fumanchewd 12 Sep 13, 03:17Post
Boris wrote:
Fumanchewd wrote:Looking on Amazon for the next read and I can't decide.

I checked it out and I think I'll skip it.

They've got a Used Paperback for $436.50, {bugeye}

or you can get a Used Hardback in good condition for $3,420.04 plus four bucks shipping... {crazy}

Yeah, but the reviews are priceless!

As the father of two teenagers, I found this book invaluable. I'm sure other parents here can empathize when I say I shudder at the thought of the increasing presence of huge ships in the lives my children. I certainly remember the strain I caused so long ago for my own parents when I began experimenting with huge ships. The long inter-continental voyages that kept my mom and dad up all night with worry. Don't even get me started on the international protocols when transporting perishable cargo. To think, I was even younger than my kids are now! huge ships are everywhere and it doesn't help that the tv and movies make huge ships seem glamorous and cool. This book helped me really approach the subject of huge ships with my kids in an honest and non judgmental way. Because of the insights this book provided, I can sleep a little better and cope with the reality that I can't always be there to protect my kids from huge ships, especially as they become adults. I'm confident that my teens, when confronted by a huge ship, are much better prepared to make wiser decisions than I did. At the very least my children certainly know that they can always come to me if they have any concerns, questions or just need my support when it comes to the topic of huge ships.

I bought How to Avoid Huge Ships as a companion to Captain Trimmer's other excellent titles: How to Avoid a Train, and How to Avoid the Empire State Building. These books are fast paced, well written and the hard won knowledge found in them is as inspirational as it is informational. After reading them I haven't been hit by anything bigger than a diesel bus. Thanks captain!

Read this book before going on vacation and I couldn't find my cruise liner in the port. Vacation ruined.
vikkyvik 23 Sep 13, 07:12Post
Well, I just finished "Rising Sun" by Michael Crichton. Never read that one when I was younger, for some reason.

I had thought that his switch from "good-story-with-political-undertones" to "political-diatribe-with-occasional-story" had occurred later in his career. Therefore, I was pretty disappointed with "Rising Sun". Really feels like he ended the book when he had finally said all he wanted to say about Japan and Japanese people, and screw whatever loose ends weren't tied up. Halfway through, I just started skimming the inevitable soliloquys on Japanese business culture that popped up every 10 pages or so.

Strangely enough, the film adaptation was on TV today too. Random coincidence, considering I don't recall seeing it on TV before.

Ah well, "Congo" is up next....should be better.
Mark 23 Sep 13, 22:21Post
A lot of us know this author. He's a member of this site as well as whiners, but hasn't posted in a while.

https://www.createspace.com/4422566
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Oct 13, 05:04Post
I read "Genetic Entropy and the Mystery of the Genome." Read it if you get a chance. Then I went and read a bunch of research papers. Fascinating. Especially the very nebulous solution of truncation selection and synergistic epistasis. And note that antagonistic epistasis is proven...
Fumanchewd 11 Dec 13, 03:19Post
We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

A short read but the history of it is fascinating. Orwell got the idea for Animal Farm from it and it influenced Huxley as well.

The Russians censored Zamyatin and told him he couldn't write. Zamyatin, with balls of steel, told Stalin that he had to allow him to move from Russia to write because it was the only thing that mattered to him. Stalin, with approval from Gorky, allowed Zamyatin to move to Paris to write where he died in poverty six years later.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 28 Dec 13, 18:34Post
Damn good read.

Gets into the 777 development and out of the box ETOPS. How Airbus tried to screw Boeing at every turn... The "residual value" of some Airbii... How Airbus got IB to buy the A340...

Half way through it.

And if anybody is interested in a primer for ETOPS, click here.