You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

What Are You Watching (Movies)?

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Jun 12, 21:47Post
I recently saw PROMETHEUS.

Fantastic. The world was alive and one scene with Noomi Rapace and medicine was just mind-blowingly good. Plus Chalize Theron being stupendously intense, Michael Fassbender proving that he really is an android...it just doesn't get better than that.

I predict that CCD will/does hate it.

Recommended.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 11 Jun 12, 23:17Post
Saw it a few days ago. Thought it started really well, then it just faded to the point where I was bored.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Jun 12, 23:46Post
From what I've noticed, everyone older than me dislikes it. However, all of my siblings like it as much as I do.

Not sure why!
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Jun 12, 00:09Post
Lucas wrote:From what I've noticed, everyone older than me dislikes it. However, all of my siblings like it as much as I do.

Not sure why!

Because they're old enough to remember the original Alien and Aliens movies, before the series got very silly and lost in its' own corporate identity?

Took the kids to see Men In Black III the other day, it was highly entertaining, if a little obvious. I did enjoy playing 'name that cameo', always a highlight of any MIB movie.
A million great ideas...
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 12 Jun 12, 00:22Post
Lucas wrote:I predict that CCD will/does hate it.

I hope not, I've been really wanting to see it.

Things I've seen lately:

Snow White & The Huntsman: Meh. Not bad, but not exciting. Chalize Theron is the best thing in the movie

What to expect when you are expecting: OMFG that sucked each of the four times I had to see it. Glad I got paid for that

Avengers: Oh hell yes

Cabin in the Woods: Unexpectedly good.. and I hate horror movies.

MIB3: Predictable Meh. Had it's moments. Pay $6 for the first showing of the day.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Jun 12, 00:30Post
I don't think so, JL. My brother, sister, and I have seen (and own) every movie, and I read the book at age 10. We've also played all the games. I have the siren from Alien as my notification tone, even. {blush} I really think that it comes down to the fact that I was able to laugh out loud at some of the WTF moments because I was busy being entertained by the spectacle of it all.

Of course, in a weird twist of fate, I saw Devil immediately before Prometheus, so Logan Marshall-Green got a carryover.

The lineup for movies in Forsyth is...Brave, then Spiderman (I'll pass, as I've never liked any Spiderman movies, games, or literature), and then the next Batman. I'll see Batman, but right now my hopes for it aren't that high.

CCD, Charlize Theron and M. Fassbender (in my mind) really steal the show in Prometheus. Hopefully you like it, but I'd go in with a mindset that Alien is cool, and this is just different and tangentially winking at Alien.

I've been wanting to see SW&tH and CitW. I missed MiB III, but I'll see it eventually for Josh Brolin.

Oh, and continental dimorphism:

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jun 12, 00:56Post
I just saw Snow White and the Huntsman. I was a bit more critical than CCD.

Snow White and the Huntsman:
This is a horrible movie. Just tragic. While the dialog nearly killed me, Charlize Theron brought me back from the brink.

I went and saw it with my sister and we both had to stifle laughs. At one point, Sarah said, "I'm making jokes in my head to keep me entertained." That was a poor use of mental energy on her part, because almost the whole movie was a joke. The parts that weren't were 50% Chalize Theron being watchable, skilled, and tall, 45% steaming feces, and 5% dwaven.

Kristen Stewart plays Snow White, which is odd, given her underslung horse jaw and lack of any sort of charisma. While wabi-sabi attraction to her physically would lend her my, "Possibly Cute" rating in the girlfriend category, I kept really kept wanting Jennifer Lawrence to show up, slap Stewart, and declare, "She's an impostor, don't worry."

The visuals were like sandpaper on my eyes a few times, especially the overhead shots of the forests, incessantly panning up to look a nondescript, poorly-formed landmass with noisy-image clouds overhead. I think that one castle actually changes locations physically. I also thought I saw an archaeological dig site from Prometheus.

The action shots and the wee little armies were lackluster, and I got tired of them panning back to show me more of what I wasn't interested in. Speaking of which, what the crap was with the focus on Stewart a few times, with her looking uncomfortable and saying nothing? It was very wajah for me. The end prominently featured an awkward moment like that, with a sense of "uh..." instead of closure.

I think the movie could have benefited from use of the William Tell Overture, because the music they used was often hilariously inappropriate given the scope of what was happening.

I liked the dwarves. Theron was good. William seemed entirely superfluous, and I had an uncomfortable moment where my mind wandered off track and suddenly I thought I was seeing a vaguely incestuous scene.

Snow White and the Huntsman is worth your time if you worship one of the actors, love absolutely terrible dialog, or want to see Mr. Hemsworth and most members of a cast looking awkward.

1.5/5 stars.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 14 Jun 12, 02:22Post
Now Lucas, to be fair... You should probably mention the horribly awkward ending, the Arwen chase scene lifted directly from the Fellowship of the Ring, the Spirit of the Forest scene taken directly from Princess Mononoke, the complete lack of resolution who the true love really was and the fact that any time a military unit of any size moves anywhere, it does so at a full gallop.

Don't even get me started on why the kings army was apparently completely lacking lances for their horsemen whose primary method of attack was to apparently ride up to their enemy and jump off their horses.

...Oh, and the Dark forest was just the Bog of Eternal Stench from Labyrinth combined with the Fire Swamp from Princess Bride.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jun 12, 04:25Post
Ahhh, taken to task for my lazy reviewing, and rightly so. I guess Snow White did manage to get a shield of Gondor, too, which is quite the reversal of her luck: she can't step outside in peacetime out of the field of vision of a guard without him immediately turning around in excitement at her, whereas a bunch of short people with weapons can sneak past all the guards in the castle while they're preparing for war.

I do feel bad criticizing SNatH too much, since I liked Prometheus, and many of my criticisms apply there, though I ignore them. In Prometheus, I was too busy enjoying all the disastrous crap that was occurring, and I'm a fan of stupid deaths by the weak and foolish.

I'm also a fan of movies that don't star K. Stewart, unless they're cheesy horror.
Nosedive 16 Jun 12, 21:55Post
Sounds like I have vastly different tastes from the rest of NAS.

Movies I want to see:

Flight w/ Denzel Washington
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World w/ Steve Carrel and Keira Knightley
Les Miserables w/ Hugh Jackman, Russel Crowe, & Anne Hathaway
Grassroots w/ Jason Biggs
Mark 17 Jun 12, 22:37Post
Saw Madagascar 3 yesterday. It's pretty good, but not as good as the first two of the series.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
halls120 (Plank Owner) 17 Jun 12, 23:32Post
Saw several movies on my IAD-SIN r/t.

John Carter - it really wasn't as bad as I had heard it was supposed to be. Disney must have misread the potential audience for this movie, and marketed it poorly.

Man on a Ledge - it was OK. Nothing special. Ed Harris needs to lay off the Botox.

Safe House - I liked this one. Don't know why it didn't last longer in the theaters.

Jeff, who lives at home - best movie of the entire trip. A gem of a film.

Sherlock Holmes A game of shadows - second best of the trip. Robert Downey Jr. is an excellent Sherlock.

Saw the Avengers on the big screen before the trip. Sort of slow to start, but excellent special effects, and some pretty tight scriptwriting.
At home in the PNW and loving it
captoveur 18 Jun 12, 01:30Post
I honestly can't remember the last time I set foot in a movie theater.

I did finish watching all of Battlestar Galactica on Netflix, so I have been in a pissy mood for 3 days.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 18 Jun 12, 03:56Post
halls120 wrote:Safe House - I liked this one. Don't know why it didn't last longer in the theaters.

Concur. Saw it in PHX in Feb. Rather good film. Surprising...sort of predictable...but...they did a good job.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Jun 12, 04:40Post
RD, Jr. has been doing darn well lately.

I also liked Safe House. Acting was fine. The end was kind of a Chekov's gun moment which was kinda crap, but overall I enjoyed it.

Nosedive, I'm looking forward to your first three. Well, I'll see the Carrel one on Netflix later, if/when I get a new subscription.
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 18 Jun 12, 13:21Post
captoveur wrote:I honestly can't remember the last time I set foot in a movie theater.

ID4 for me.....and that was a group trip that if I didn't attend, I would have had to stay at work. Before that was either Pretty Woman, or Days of Thunder.

I'm not a big movie fan. {laugh}
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 18 Jun 12, 13:37Post
I should have put my review of "Rock Of Ages" in this thread. {blush}
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Jun 12, 13:42Post
Totally hating Iberia's IFE, I watched the following movies on my laptop on my trip to Lisbon:

Act of Valor: If you watch it, you'll see a DC-3, but hear a P-51 Mustang... {facepalm}

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I hope the other books are made into movies.

The Veteran... Some good CQB, didn't like the ending.

Black Hawk Down... A good shoot 'em up movie.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 18 Jun 12, 15:27Post

Now that I've seen it... I really want to like it... But, I can't. It was painful.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 18 Jun 12, 15:48Post
miamiair wrote:Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I hope the other books are made into movies.

Which one did you watch?
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Jun 12, 16:08Post
GQfluffy wrote:
miamiair wrote:Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I hope the other books are made into movies.

Which one did you watch?

First one? Going after the man that murdered women with Leviticus verses.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 18 Jun 12, 16:19Post
miamiair wrote:First one? Going after the man that murdered women with Leviticus verses.

I think he was asking if you saw the American production or the original one.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 18 Jun 12, 16:20Post
Heh...yeah...I meant the 'new' one with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara or the other one (original?) with Naomi Replace?

Er...yes, what Clicky said.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Jun 12, 16:22Post
The one with Daniel Craig. Awesome movie.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Jun 12, 16:39Post
Click Click D'oh wrote:

Now that I've seen it... I really want to like it... But, I can't. It was painful.

I managed to like it because of people being murdered, but they didn't make that as much fun as they should have.

The medical pod scene alone made it worth it for me, though.

But yeah, crap, crap, crap writing, and I suspect that they left out parts that shouldn't have been cut.