You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

What Are You Watching (Movies)?

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Nov 14, 00:11Post
I'd go and see it again tomorrow, even knowing how it turns out and knowing in advance what's going to bug me (including you lot leaving American flags all over the universe while supposedly saving all mankind {duck} ).

JLAmber wrote:I meant Wurlitzer, an instrument that you need to be stoned (or elderly) to listen to....

Sure you did :) I must admit to not liking that defining "theatre organ sound" very much either, that warbly old-people-shuffling noise that, as it happens, I last heard in the ballroom at Blackpool Tower {mischief} They're fascinating instruments, though. Sadly, I've never heard one really let off the chain, and it's always that feeble trilling. {crazy}

Maybe that's why I prefer church organ... although I hate churches. There's a much greater chance of hearing what it can do. I love that it can make the most delicate and ethereal sounds one moment, and the next it can be grabbed by the balls and rattle the pigeon shit out of the rafters... Aunt Mabel's ticker be damned :))
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
vikkyvik 17 Nov 14, 02:40Post
Speaking of organs and theaters and skulls....

The Disney Hall (where the LA Phil performs) did a screening of the old movie "Nosferatu" on Halloween night. Since the original music for that movie was lost, it was accompanied by a live organist, who basically put together his own soundtrack, using bits of various pieces and bits he composed himself (I think).

The movie itself was interesting to see, though the middle section drags a bit. The music was great - after 10 minutes, you totally forgot the guy was playing it all live.
Fumanchewd 18 Nov 14, 04:06Post
I saw Birdman with Michael Keaton. It was interesting in that it tried to bring reality into the movie by having Keaton play an older actor who was famous for his earlier role as a superhero but quit at the apex of his career to try to be a serious on stage actor/director.

Usually I don't like movies that have art portraying art for arts sake, it seems a little insulated and self-promoting and I haven't seen it done right. Synecdoche, New York (the name of the movie) with Philip Seymour Hoffman in 2008 tried to do something very similar and although I liked parts, in general it highlighted the NY theatre crowd a little too much for me to care about the characters.

I think Birdman was better than Synecdoche, although I wouldn't mind a better ending.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Nov 14, 15:47Post
I know what I will be watching next year. :))

Money can't buy happiness; but it can get you flying, which is pretty much the same.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Dec 14, 16:22Post
Went and saw The Hunger Games: Catching Bacon: Part 5.

Why? Because of Jennifer, of course. Not excellent movies, but whatever, still fun.

Then I re-watched Due Date to see that little brat kid get punched.
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Dec 14, 16:35Post
Mmm, bacon...

Haven't seen it yet, but I already purchased tix for Monday night :)
Money can't buy happiness; but it can get you flying, which is pretty much the same.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 05 Dec 14, 16:53Post
Guardians Of The Galaxy

Looking forward to the sequel.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Dec 14, 19:27Post
22 Jump Street - :( My name is not Jeff, the end credits were far better than the movie.
A million great ideas...
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Jan 15, 00:39Post
Mini-poll: what 2015 movies are you looking forward to? :))
Fumanchewd 07 Jan 15, 08:59Post
I am looking forward to the new Mad Max this year.

Just saw the Equalizer on Blueray. Eh. Bad plot and not engaging action/violence. They seemed to have gone out of their way to make every bad guy white and IMO Denzel is a one dimensional actor. {thumbsdown}
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 07 Jan 15, 11:56Post
The November Man was pretty good. Loved the end. Need a lot more of those endings in the real world.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 07 Jan 15, 19:04Post
Saw the 3rd Hobbit movie last weekend.

Meh.

Should've been part of the 2nd Hobbit honestly. Was ok...but not nearly as polished IMO as the first two or all three Lord of the Rings films.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 07 Jan 15, 19:12Post
At least it finished. The second one just dragged and dragged, and that wasn't helped by knowing that the story (such as it was) would just be cut off at some random point an hour after my ass started to hurt and my brain started some gnarly programming task from work.

Overall, I don't think I'll be sitting down to watch any of these three again. Ever, if I can help it. LOTR definitely, but not Hobbit.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 07 Jan 15, 19:44Post
Watched HBO's documentary, "Terror at the Mall" last night about the Westgate Mall terrorist attack in Nairobi. There were astonishing acts of bravery by private citizens and individual police officers who went in to rescue people despite the incompetent response by both the police leadership and military. Sad on so many levels but not without some inspiring displays of humanity by ordinary people:

It's too bad that more stories weren't included.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 13 Jan 15, 16:52Post
I'm currently watching a reboot of Left Behind. It's based on the first book of the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins.

The basic plot deals with the Rapture and the aftermath faced by those...um...left behind. This particular film is actually the forth movie made from the film. Kirk Cameron was behind the first three which loosely (and somewhat wrecklessly) followed the first few books in the series.

I wasn't aware of this movie until I was browsing the movies at Wal-Mart. Seems it was released last October and out on DVD last week. It was released in theaters, features "Hollywood" names like Nicholas Cage and Lea Thompson. There are some other "oh, I've seen that guy (or girl) in other movies/shows" as well.

The acting in this reboot is fairly decent. It is, however, like a lot of Christian themed movies in that it's done by smaller production companies and it shows in the direction, sets, etc. Kirk Cameron's versions featured better acting. It also spends too much time, the entire film in fact, on the immediate aftermath of the rapture.

This movie feels more like the aviation disaster movies we're all familiar with. This would be ok if it weren't based on a book where aviation is only a small portion of the background (Ray Steele, one of the main characters, is an airline pilot). I do have to give credit where credit is due, though. While the aircraft Ray flies starts out as a A330, it remains a 767 (a -200, with really neat stubby winglets) through out the rest of the movie. The cockpit, though, isn't accurate but isn't as bad as some of the "Hollywood" versions.

Don't get this version if you're looking for a screen version of the book. Get the Kirk Cameron versions but watch those only after reading the books.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jan 15, 21:38Post
GQfluffy wrote:Saw the 3rd Hobbit movie last weekend.

Meh.

Should've been part of the 2nd Hobbit honestly. Was ok...but not nearly as polished IMO as the first two or all three Lord of the Rings films.

It was dog poo.

I have been watching Downton Abbey. Dan Stevens is fantastic, so I purchased "The Guest" and watched it. Mind blown. You should all see it now.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 16 Jan 15, 12:04Post
Just finished Star Trek III: The Search For Spock here at work. Brief synopsis for those of you who haven't seen it:

Dr. Emmett Brown trades in his DeLorean for a Klingon Bird of Prey and goes to a planet named after a very popular gaming system from the 80s/early 90s. There he finds three people camping. Officer TJ Hooker shows up and kicks the Dr in the face. Then they all go to what looks like an Indian Reservation to wait for their friend to wake up and walk around in his bath robe.

Or something like that. I'm very tired, so I might be confused on some of the finer plot points.

vlcsnap-2015-01-16-03h31m37s182.jpg
vlcsnap-2015-01-16-03h31m37s182.jpg (42.22 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
Make Orwell fiction again.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 21 Jan 15, 02:48Post
Has anyone gone to see American Sniper yet?
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Jan 15, 03:07Post
Pep and a man who hunts a lot in Texas both have.
Fumanchewd 23 Jan 15, 08:42Post
Calvary- Irish movie about a Priest who is antagonized by townfolk in a small village. A great idea but a little overdramatic with little traction. An interesting but not great movie.

Boyhood- I honestly don't get it. A horrible movie. Its just a mundane Lifetime channel type of movie. The only reason IMO why it is in the limelight is that it used the same actors over the course of a number of years as they grow. An interesting gimmick, but a movie that is just a typical coming of age story with nothing spectacular.

I Origin- I was very surprised by this movie. If you are a hardcore- science atheist you probably won't like it. Its about a scientist who discovers that there is something more than he initially believed. Its not a christian movie or anything but definitely has a spiritual bent.
Fumanchewd 12 Mar 15, 08:45Post
Whiplash- Holy @#$@#! The best movie I've seen in a long time. A little silly at times in the way that the plot goes, but I haven't seen acting that good in a long long time.
Mark 13 Mar 15, 00:47Post
I went to see Still Alice (with nurse hat on). They nailed it. Early onset Alzheimer's occurs exactly like they portrayed.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
vikkyvik 17 Mar 15, 05:21Post
Compliance - {cheerful} great movie, but pretty screwed up and depressing. Definitely worth a watch.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 17 Mar 15, 11:41Post
I saw the "judge," "Fury," and the "Million Dollar Arm."

Fury is a must see.
vikkyvik 17 Mar 15, 14:57Post
miamiair wrote:"Million Dollar Arm."

Forgot about that one - watched it on TV a few weeks ago.

Not spectacular, but an entertaining movie.