You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

What Are You Watching (Movies)?

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 May 16, 20:53Post
Finally got round to seeing Captain America: Civil War today. Gets a :) despite several of the worst movie plot-holes in cinematic history .
A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 May 16, 12:04Post
The response to the Ghostbusters reboot is so bad that Sony (who made the film) are removing all mention of themselves from the trailers and credits, even going as far as paying a third-party youtube site to carry the official trailer.

The response is what you would expect:

whoyounotwatching.png
whoyounotwatching.png (11.96 KiB) Viewed 5480 times
A million great ideas...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Nov 16, 05:18Post
Movie review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

FB&WTFT is a 2016-American-fantasy-adventure-life-sucking movie about how to give people who can't act jobs while also supporting writers of plot-holes and shoddy dialog, all at the expense of the unfortunate movie-goer. It features a man who is scared to look at the camera (and other people), a schlub, and two women who seem to have no redeemable traits. One woman has mastered how to correctly do an incorrect accent, and to add to that perfection, she randomly forgets that she's decided to have an accent in the first place.

Spoilers: There are 5 twists in this movie, and each twist is the same, and much like a knife in the gut: you think that the movie is over, but no, it isn't through with you yet. Protip: keep your cellphone on during the showing so that you can phone Hell and ask about their exchange program.

If I were to rate this movie on a scale of 12 to 11, the numbers arranged as on the face of a clock, and with each number representing increasingly bad disease processes, with 12 being the common cold and 11 being AIDS compounded by ebolavirus, this movie would score a solid 10.

The 3D was so bad as to be unwatchable, and if I'd had a fork I would have stabbed my eyes out.
vikkyvik 23 Nov 16, 16:41Post
I saw this kind of weird special edition of Episode IV.

For some reason, it was called Episode VII.

George Lucas is really going overboard with the changes on these special editions.

(I think my honest rating is :| , which is really, really disappointing)
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 23 Nov 16, 16:55Post
Lucas wrote:Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Oh, Beasts... I want my money back.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 17 Dec 16, 05:30Post
Saw Rogue One tonight. Very pleased. The R2/C3PO cameo kinda seemed thrown in a the last minute. The end of the movie (and the final cameo - you'll love it) ties in very, very well with Episode 4.
Make Orwell fiction again.
vikkyvik 17 Dec 16, 15:50Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Saw Rogue One tonight. Very pleased. The R2/C3PO cameo kinda seemed thrown in a the last minute. The end of the movie (and the final cameo - you'll love it) ties in very, very well with Episode 4.

How does it compare to The Force Awakens?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 17 Dec 16, 18:16Post
vikkyvik wrote:How does it compare to The Force Awakens?

Visually speaking, probably not as spectacular but still quite amazing. Certainly has the feel of the original trilogy and none of the cartoonish-cgi of the pre-quels. Story wise, I'd say it's a little better, since The Force Awakens had a slight class reunion/where are they now vibe. Rogue One also gives a side of the Rebel Alliance that isn't so virtuous as we've been accustomed.

It's hard to say which one I preferred. I enjoyed them both very much.
vikkyvik 17 Dec 16, 18:46Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Visually speaking, probably not as spectacular but still quite amazing. Certainly has the feel of the original trilogy and none of the cartoonish-cgi of the pre-quels. Story wise, I'd say it's a little better, since The Force Awakens had a slight class reunion/where are they now vibe. Rogue One also gives a side of the Rebel Alliance that isn't so virtuous as we've been accustomed.It's hard to say which one I preferred. I enjoyed them both very much.

Hmmm. I didn't particularly like TFA, but maybe this one will be better...
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Dec 16, 01:31Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Saw Rogue One tonight. Very pleased. The R2/C3PO cameo kinda seemed thrown in a the last minute. The end of the movie (and the final cameo - you'll love it) ties in very, very well with Episode 4.

I did the fan club event / midnight screening again this year, on Wednesday night. It was quite fun :)) Getting to work on Thursday morning was not so fun, though {tired}

Vik, my BF didn't care much for TFA (Episode 4.2, as he calls it) but greatly enjoyed this one. It was definitely a better story.
Money can't buy happiness; but it can get you flying, which is pretty much the same.
vikkyvik 18 Dec 16, 04:45Post
FlyingAce wrote:Episode 4.2, as he calls it

{check}

To me, it's just another Episode IV Special Edition with even more changes.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 18 Dec 16, 18:25Post
Rogue One definitely stepped up the Star Wars game. It really delivered on the awesome power of the Empire and the underdog nature of the Rebellion more than any of the previous films.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 19 Dec 16, 09:57Post
Saw Sully last night, very enjoyable and surprisingly euphoric at the end. Thought the bit during the end credits with the real Sully was a nice touch as well.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 22 Dec 16, 17:42Post
Fantastic Beasts, Rogue One, Collateral Beauty, and Arrival were all watched recently.

Thoroughly enjoyed them all.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 01 May 17, 19:51Post
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 with the kids today. Gets a :) The whole movie was slightly ruined by the clearly rushed and sloppily inserted scene explaining how a being who is millions of years old has aged half a lifetime in the last 35 years.
A million great ideas...
Paul Chandler1 04 Jun 17, 12:17Post
Watched Hidden Figures & Hacksaw Ridge on a couple of flights lately - both based on true events and excellent (IMHO) films
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 19 Jun 17, 13:13Post
So.... Wonder Woman.

Okay, the good: It's better than DC previous offerings and at no point does a revelation of some characters mothers name stop down the action.

**SPOILER** In this case, it's the revelation of the fathers name that stops things down **Spoiler**

The action is pretty good... but you'll get beat down pretty quickly by the constant slow motion that clearly shows Snyder had a hand in things... It's very 300ish in how it slows down every time something cool happens in a fight.

The Bad: The plot will straight up make your head hurt if you think about it at all.

Both my wife and I agree that one of the overall themes of the movie is straight up insulting to women every where: **SPOILER** Wonder Woman literally falls in love with the very first man she ever sees, then spends the next 100 years besotted with him. **SPOILER**

+1 for Gal Gadot kicking ass in a skimpy outfit
+1 for decent popcorn action flick
-1 for hurting your brain if you stop to think about anything in the movie.

Overall +1.... which is better than previous DC movies... so, best DC movie so far.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 19 Jun 17, 13:20Post
Click Click D'oh wrote: It's better than DC previous offerings

I haven't been to a movie theater in more than 20 years..... what is DC? :))
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 19 Jun 17, 16:18Post
Paul Chandler1 wrote:Watched Hidden Figures & Hacksaw Ridge on a couple of flights lately - both based on true events and excellent (IMHO) films

We watched Hacksaw Ridge over the weekend and give it {thumbsup} {thumbsup}.
At home in the PNW and loving it
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 19 Jun 17, 16:28Post
Saw Cars 3 the other night. I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was as good as the first two. That said, I paid a bit extra for 3D and came away not feeling like I over-paid.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 09 Sep 17, 04:31Post
WIND RIVER

Seriously. See this. In theaters. ASAP. (Also see Sicario and Hell or High Water.)

5/5

Technically I gave it a 4.75/5 but for reasons that only Queso would get.
ruper15 02 Oct 17, 07:07Post
Just watched the "It" movie. It is funny and scary.
Fumanchewd 02 Oct 17, 10:15Post
ruper15 wrote:Just watched the "It" movie. It is funny and scary.

I read an interesting article about It where the book (never read it, not a King book fan) had a scene where the girl has a gangbang with all of the boys, yet none of the movies wanted to go in that direction. :o

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/w ... e-20170603

Just like Troy, where all of the interesting gods were left out and the fact that Achilles male lover Patroclus (not his cousin) was killed by Hector. Awwww, Prudish Hollywood sucks. {laugh}
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 Oct 17, 16:15Post
Wind River by Taylor Sheridan, who did Sicario and Hell or High Water.

FREAKING FANTASTIC! See this. Now! It's the third in his kind of "frontiers" trilogy. Since it's based on my glorious Wind River, I was especially taken.

Kingsman: The Golden Derp. What a mess. Stay away. Has a good, Scottish rendition of "Take Me Home, Country Roads" though.