You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

How Long Do You Keep Phones?

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Nov 21, 22:49Post
JLAmber wrote:I have a 3.5 year old Samsung Galaxy S7 (later edition) that has, so far, proven to be bulletproof. My monthly bill is £14 for unlimited data & texts with far more call time than I ever use, so I don't see the point in 'upgrading' until my phone gives up. Battery life is down to around 28-30 hours of average use but we run on solar so it's free to charge.

One tip - I always buy a Spigen case & screen protector for every phone. Cost about £20 and have saved my phone more times than I could count.

Finally gave in to rapidly failing battery after close to five years of faultless service from my Samsung Galaxy S7. I now have the Samsung Galaxy S20FE (actually two of them, one in orange and one in blue to keep the whole location thing simplistic). Immediately wrapped both in my favourite cases and screen protectors, hopefully they will give the last unit a run for its money.
A million great ideas...
DXing 18 Nov 21, 01:17Post
DXing wrote:An S8 active. Had it since the previous samsung (an s6?) dropped and I had an infamous "unicorn" according to the store rep. Insurance replaced it with the S8 and it hasn't given me any real problems. Not inclined to get a new one unless something really advanced shows up. Wish the talk to text was a little better as I hate typing on the keyboard but one can only hope.

Yeah, barely a year and I dropped the S8 3 times, the screen cracked every time. 3rd time the insurance cost to replace it was almost as much as a new phone. So I took the plunge and got a Zflip. It's a Zisaster. I haven't dropped it, it's very small in my front pocket. I actually like it save the screen. It's as if it is delaminating. I've had it 3 months now and at the rate it is doing that, it'll be worthless in a few more months. Taking it back to the store to either get my money back or a replacement. Probably have to deal with Samsung for that. No way it should go like this. Reviews said the earlier models had a 'line' issue across the center but that the 2nd generation had solved this. Not sure this is the same problem as it appears it just wasn't put together correctly as I haven't seen any other reports on any boards about the same kind of problem I am encountering.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Nov 21, 10:26Post
I can't see myself owning a flip phone. Still have my Note 10+, in an OtterBox with an armored screen protector. Knock on wood, it is holding up. I will never own an iPhone again, that is for certain.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
DXing 19 Nov 21, 16:58Post
Problem solved. Operator headspace timing error. The shipping screen protector was so thin and so well married up to the sides, I never noticed it. The geek squad guy was really nice about it. Said I was the 4th person this week with the same problem. I'd like to believe that but I have a sneaking suspicion he was rolling on the floor less than a minute after I sheepishly walked out the door.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 19 Nov 21, 19:38Post
miamiair wrote:Note 10+, in an OtterBox with an armored screen protector.

Same all around.

Good device.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey