You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

It's official - Moving to Hawaii

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.
 

PA110 (Founding Member) 24 Mar 21, 16:22Post
It's been a goal since I first set foot in the islands in 1981, but when I celebrated by 50th on the Big Island, I fell in love with the place.

I'm about to close on a house in Kailua-Kona and plan to move there permanently in early May. I'll be less than 5 minutes to Kailua Village, and 15 minutes from some great beaches. Best of all, I get to keep my California job and California salary (such that it is). The time difference means early starts, but also early finishes. There will be plenty of time to hit the beaches and enjoy the sunsets after work with a Mai Tai or three in hand!
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 24 Mar 21, 16:30Post
Nice! I guess this makes you our most westerly member? And mod... meaning you get to deal with all the overnight bun-fights :))
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 24 Mar 21, 17:13Post
Congratulations.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Mar 21, 17:45Post
Congratulations!!!!

I envy the move . . . .

Did you get the place you were looking for? Kona side I presume?
Armor. M60A1, M60A3, M1, M1A1, Master Gunner, CSM - Best Job I Ever Had
PA110 (Founding Member) 24 Mar 21, 17:55Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Did you get the place you were looking for? Kona side I presume?


Yep. Did a crazy same-day trip to see it in person. It's got 20 fully-paid solar panels on a net-metering agreement. Average summer electric bill with AC on full blast is $27/month. I'm a happy boy, or as they say in Hawaiian: He keiki kāne hau'oli au
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Mar 21, 23:39Post
You and Tony can expect a house guest . . . {laugh} :)) Good for you. Some friends of mine on the Hilo side - works for the Gov't - MrsANC like the Big Island . . .
Armor. M60A1, M60A3, M1, M1A1, Master Gunner, CSM - Best Job I Ever Had
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Mar 21, 23:40Post
PA110 wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:Did you get the place you were looking for? Kona side I presume?


Yep. Did a crazy same-day trip to see it in person. It's got 20 fully-paid solar panels on a net-metering agreement. Average summer electric bill with AC on full blast is $27/month. I'm a happy boy, or as they say in Hawaiian: He keiki kāne hau'oli au


As they say stateside, you're going to be living the life! That is awesome. I lived by the ocean for a while and really loved it...tried to move to Fiji once. :))
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 24 Mar 21, 23:57Post
Congrats!
OTS UFN
DXing 25 Mar 21, 00:04Post
Very nice. That area is beautiful and most of all mostly quiet with the exception of the few weeks we already talked about. I'll get out there one of these days and see you at Laverne's.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
bhmbaglock 25 Mar 21, 15:50Post
Congrats! Sounds like the perfect plan.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Mar 21, 19:04Post
Well you already have the shirts and the drinkware :))

Enjoy your new lie on the islands!
A million great ideas...
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 26 Mar 21, 20:12Post
I seem to have misplaced my "cargo bay of everyone who cares" meme. ;)

Good luck with your move, hope it works out well for you!
WARNING: This message is blank.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 02 May 21, 10:53Post
PA110 wrote:It's been a goal since I first set foot in the islands in 1981, but when I celebrated by 50th on the Big Island, I fell in love with the place.

I'm about to close on a house in Kailua-Kona and plan to move there permanently in early May. I'll be less than 5 minutes to Kailua Village, and 15 minutes from some great beaches. Best of all, I get to keep my California job and California salary (such that it is). The time difference means early starts, but also early finishes. There will be plenty of time to hit the beaches and enjoy the sunsets after work with a Mai Tai or three in hand!


Well done! Our retirement countdown has started, and we are <270 days away from no more alarm clocks ever, unless it to wake up early for a flight to somewhere new and exotic.

We've thought about Hawaii as a "forever house" locale, but it would be too far away from the grandkids.
 

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

LEFT

RIGHT
CONTENT