You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : Sports

Washington Redskins temporarily renamed

MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, Bundesliga, Premier League, UEFA CL, Formula One, NASCAR...

DXing 23 Jul 20, 19:10Post
The Washington football team announced that no new name will be available for 2020 so they'll just go by the name "Washington Football Team". Merchandise with the same team colors and that name on it will be available for purchase at the team store soon. The players assigned number will be painted in gold on the side of his helmet.

The Washington Redskins will go by “Washington Football Team” in 2020 as the franchise searches for a new name for the long term, a league source confirmed. The temporary name will effectively retire the term “Redskins,” which Washington announced it would do earlier this month following the conclusion of an ongoing review.

The Washington Football Team will go by its temporary name for all of 2020, a league source said. This gives the franchise further time to determine a new name as it looks to rebrand.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/23/washington-go-washington-football-team-amid-search/

Perhaps the "Washington PC" or the "Washington Wokes" are in the running.
I'm thinking the Cleveland Browns now sounds like an exciting and innovative name!
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jul 20, 19:43Post
Good, I am tired of the vile racism. Words are literal violence, much the same as silence!

I would like to see the Washington Maoists so that we can at least keep the red theming.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 24 Jul 20, 01:25Post
I'm guessing that they realized that any name they chose some group would likely find offense.
Make Orwell fiction again.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jul 20, 09:07Post
Pure bullshit.

Butthurt, panty-waisted crybabies.

FFS
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 24 Jul 20, 12:25Post
How in the hell can they dump the name and the picture, and at the same time keep the same color? Guess where that color came from? That's right! The tint of the skin of Native Americans! They went through an elaborate process to capture that and put it on a uniform!
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jul 20, 12:46Post
Queso wrote:How in the hell can they dump the name and the picture, and at the same time keep the same color? Guess where that color came from? That's right! The tint of the skin of Native Americans! They went through an elaborate process to capture that and put it on a uniform!

The red will be re-utilized to showcase their neo-Marxian sympathies.
vikkyvik 24 Jul 20, 14:27Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Pure bullshit.

FFS

No, not pure bullshit.

Do you go up to people and call them Redskins?

Why not?

Frankly, all the dumbasses whining about the name change sound much more stupid than those who support it. Get the f*ck over it. It's a team name - likely one you don't even support. Why do you care?
DXing 24 Jul 20, 21:20Post
vikkyvik wrote:Do you go up to people and call them Redskins?

LOL about as often as I go up to a person and call them caucasian or white not of Hispanic descent, black not of Hispanic descent, or Asian! Lol.

So when we've eliminated all the native American references, when and where will they be remembered by anyone not of native American descent?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jul 20, 21:30Post
vikkyvik wrote:

FFS

No, not pure bullshit.

Why not?

Frankly, all the dumbasses whining about the name change sound much more stupid than those who support it. Get the f*ck over it. It's a team name - likely one you don't even support. Why do you care?

My current gf is partially indigenous (yes, people have even asked her to show them tribal dances) and thinks it's a load of nonsense. She was talking to me last week about how people are making up oppression, and considers this to be a part of that.

I'll let her know what you said. I'm sure she'll love to know that she's a dumbass who can get the f*ck over it. Thanks!

Edit: but seriously, the poststructural, intersectional victimology poker is so tedious. The tyranny of the intolerant minority is destructive.
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 25 Jul 20, 00:03Post
The Monacans were a tribe indigenous to the area, if they want a Native American identifier without the hint of a slur.

Colonials might be a good name, if colonialism wasn't against PC values.

Maybe the Rivermen would work, the Potomac has a lot of history.

Settlers for a name? MinuteMen? Generals? Maybe at least something to keep their rivalry alive in name with the Cowboys. The Outlaws? DC has had its share of those...
DXing 25 Jul 20, 02:56Post
How about the Washington Sentinels? They can sign a QB named Shane Falco! The team song can be "I will survive".
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 25 Jul 20, 03:19Post
Pain heels.

Chicks dig scars.

Glory lasts forever.

{laugh} {laugh} {laugh} {laugh}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jul 20, 10:31Post
vikkyvik wrote:

FFS

No, not pure bullshit.

Why not?

PURE FRACKIN BULLSHIT. Butthurt, pantywaisted, shit bags with thin skin . Fuck them.

Quite frankly when I go up to people I generally use their name . . . FFS.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jul 20, 11:51Post
We can't stop here. Scientists are now moving to strip offensive names from journals, prizes, and more, including Linnaeus, Pearson, and Fisher. Linnaeus has a flower named after him which I've always appreciated, but I'm now ignoring its existence until we grapple with his sins and cancel him.

Of course, we need to de-colonize medical knowledge. 'I think we have a personal choice to decolonize our language and these historical terms will fade out,' Dr Small said, as she and others lead a petition to make medicine less racist and sexist. 

Tell me that names like this don't just haunt your dreams and keep you awake at night. I know all sorts of minoritized people who haven't been able to go into medicine because of these eponyms.

And don't get me started on gendered terms! Begone! They are literal violence. Silence is also literal violence, yes, and burning down buildings and punching Nazis isn't, but the terms like "Latino" and "Latina" are deeply evil terms.

latinx.jpg
latinx.jpg (490 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

And of course I've stopped shopping at Trader Joe's until they stop culturally appropriating things, those racist bigots.

trader jose.jpg
trader jose.jpg (305.54 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

Lest you think I am kidding, I have completed 3 hours of anti-racist training and have also completed my reading of "Beyond the Face of Race: Emo-Cognitive Explorations of White Neurosis and Racial Cray-Cray."

I can tell you very seriously that raising white children is child abuse. All whites are racists, period. White liberals are actually the worst racists. Every interaction a white person has is racist.

If you disagree, that's a sign of your racism and fragility as a white. And if you are BROWN and disagree, it's a sign of your brown complicity in white supremacy, but we have trainings for that, too.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jul 20, 11:55Post
BTW, One Mile at a Time has posted an allyship reading list, so I thanked them for posting it and just posted some of the quotes from the actual reading, but for some reason they won't approve that post.

Weird how a super-liberal man who makes his money flying around the world wants to post anti-racism reading lists to signal his virtue, but when you cite the actual work which refers to people like him as the most vile of all racists, he doesn't want that seeing the light of day.

Performative moralizing. (Won't be reading that site anymore, or any that shovels poststructural critical theory at people as valuable "knowledge.")
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 25 Jul 20, 13:01Post
Allstarflyer wrote:Maybe the Rivermen would work, the Potomac has a lot of history.

SEXIST! Cancel! BURN THE S/HERETIC!!!
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 25 Jul 20, 14:09Post
I guess I'll weigh in. I'm up early...coffee's working...and I haven't decided on the day's activities yet that would pry me away from the computer screen.

I grew up in an area surrounded by Reservations. Additionally, I spent roughly the first 37 or so years of my life in this area. The following are my own personal observations....

As far as football fandom went, the Dallas Cowboys seemed to be the popular team. LA Raiders gear was popular too, but it seemed most of the people wearing that stuff were just attempting to appear "badass."

What would probably surprise (and by surprise I mean make their heads explode) the SJWs, Woke Brigade, and other virtue signalers is that Redskins apparel was popular too, mostly by Native Americans. There was no "we can wear this, but you can't" nonsense, nor were there any calls for the Team to change the name, no protests, no demonstrations, etc. People just lived life. If Tribal leaders were concerned about anything, it was in relation to sovereignty issues and land use.

However, in current "woke" logic, since this was (and still is) a largely rural area, we are incapable of grasping the complex issues of modern life and philosophy.

What's done is done, really. I suspect that at some point in the next few years that even possession of Redskins gear will be a hate crime. So that will make me a criminal (some would consider me such now just based upon my ethnicity) since I've kept the stuff my Dad had. He was a fan of the team and I'm glad he didn't live long enough to see what has happened.

I suspect that the Kansas City Chiefs will be next. I read somewhere that "Chief" is now to be considered offensive. I was considering a lawsuit against the Minnesota Vikings as I suddenly found the term and logo offensive. I decided against it since I'm not eligible for social justice.

In Baseball, I'm sure the Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves, both of whom have received grief over names/mascots will be forced to change names as well.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jul 20, 15:34Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I guess I'll weigh in. I'm up early...coffee's working...and I haven't decided on the day's activities yet that would pry me away from the computer screen.

I grew up in an area surrounded by Reservations. Additionally, I spent roughly the first 37 or so years of my life in this area. The following are my own personal observations....

As far as football fandom went, the Dallas Cowboys seemed to be the popular team. LA Raiders gear was popular too, but it seemed most of the people wearing that stuff were just attempting to appear "badass."

What would probably surprise (and by surprise I mean make their heads explode) the SJWs, Woke Brigade, and other virtue signalers is that Redskins apparel was popular too, mostly by Native Americans. There was no "we can wear this, but you can't" nonsense, nor were there any calls for the Team to change the name, no protests, no demonstrations, etc. People just lived life. If Tribal leaders were concerned about anything, it was in relation to sovereignty issues and land use.

However, in current "woke" logic, since this was (and still is) a largely rural area, we are incapable of grasping the complex issues of modern life and philosophy.

What's done is done, really. I suspect that at some point in the next few years that even possession of Redskins gear will be a hate crime. So that will make me a criminal (some would consider me such now just based upon my ethnicity) since I've kept the stuff my Dad had. He was a fan of the team and I'm glad he didn't live long enough to see what has happened.

I suspect that the Kansas City Chiefs will be next. I read somewhere that "Chief" is now to be considered offensive. I was considering a lawsuit against the Minnesota Vikings as I suddenly found the term and logo offensive. I decided against it since I'm not eligible for social justice.

In Baseball, I'm sure the Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves, both of whom have received grief over names/mascots will be forced to change names as well.

We should just name things based on numbers, since everyone ends up being on the wrong side of history eventually.

More seriously, we bordered the rez and were the Horsemen, while the Indians were the Savages (name they chose), but some of our teams were combined as the Savage Horsemen.

In case you are wondering, other racist things include veganism, knitting, jogging, mathematics, rational thought...

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jul 20, 15:43Post
And if you need to learn, remember that the Smithsonian is here to help with this helpful graphic. Let's abolish whiteness!

To be clear, anti-racism believes that people of color uphold, have, or believe in:

• No individuality.
    • No self-reliance.
    • No independence.
    • No reward for success.
    • No families.
    • No science.
    • No objectivity.
    • No rationality.
    • No work ethic.
    • No respect for authority.
    • No ownership of goods.
    • No plans for the future.
    • Instant gratification.
    • Progress isn't best.
    • Tomorrow won't be better.

DXing 25 Jul 20, 16:02Post
shyflyer wrote:In Baseball, I'm sure the Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves, both of whom have received grief over names/mascots will be forced to change names as well.

The Indians are already in discussions at the player, manager, and front office levels to come up with a new name. 2 years ago when the MLB said the all star game would not happen unless the team removed Chief Wahoo as the logo, I suggested replacing the face of Chief Wahoo with Mahatma Ghandi, a true Indian, problem solved. Now I have to wonder if that would have survived the latest round of cancel culture.

The Chicago Blackhawks are still holding firm.

The Chicago Blackhawks won't change nickname because it honors the life of an actual Native American

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/us/chicago-blackhawks-name-spt-trnd/index.html
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 30 Jul 20, 12:43Post
People with viewpoints like vikkyvik's are exactly why I am glad I won't live forever. The next civil war won't be pretty, but Conservatism will prevail. How can it not, with liberals concentrating on what next to be offended by?
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 30 Jul 20, 14:47Post
Piper had better rename all its aircraft, retroactively.

Frankly, I'm sick of hearing about this, from both sides.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 30 Jul 20, 22:11Post
Well my local football team are in trouble {foot}

And the award for massive overreaction of the year goes to...

Queso wrote:People with viewpoints like vikkyvik's are exactly why I am glad I won't live forever. The next civil war won't be pretty, but Conservatism will prevail. How can it not, with liberals concentrating on what next to be offended by?

Such drama.
A million great ideas...
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 Jul 20, 10:47Post
Pure bullshit. Bunch of panty-waisted, crybaby asstards. Don't like what I said, I don't give a shit.

Get over your delicate sensibilities and STFU.

Ridiculous
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 31 Jul 20, 12:10Post
All US army aircraft are named after native tribes...

People need to grow a thicker skin.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen