You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : Sports

NASCAR returns...Crowd Pleaser Or Crash?

MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, Bundesliga, Premier League, UEFA CL, Formula One, NASCAR...

DXing 16 May 20, 04:51Post
NASCAR is set to resume racing this Sunday at Darlington speedway with the Coca-cola 600. No spectators will be allowed at the track. Pit crews will be reduced from 20 to 16. More interesting is the fact that there won't be any practicing, and no qualifying. Just kick the tires start the engines and begin racing. This after a five week layoff. So, my question is, what's the over and under guess for caution flags? With no practice or qualifying the cars won't be fine tuned to any degree. This will be a real test of the drivers ability. Will it make for good racing or will everyone be racing, simply not to crash?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 May 20, 20:15Post
Not sure about NASCAR as it's never really been on my radar but I have watched the two big sporting returns of late and they've had mixed results.

UFC is back and in full swing and their shows have been brilliant, perhaps better for the lack of crowd as you can hear the coaching and the interactions between refs and fighters. Having a lot of bored, frustrated fighters willing to tear each other apart after such a long layoff has definitely helped.

Bundesliga football returned today and that was dreadful. Because of the lack of football elsewhere a whole range of matches, all played behind closed doors, were broadcast all over Europe (we usually see one a week here). I believe more than half the UK TV audience had turned off by the end of the first game, the lack of atmosphere clearly having an impact on the players.

DXing wrote:This will be a real test of the drivers ability. Will it make for good racing or will everyone be racing, simply not to crash?

Could be a bit of both and who doesn't love a good crash?
A million great ideas...
DXing 16 May 20, 23:02Post
I had wondered how the football would go without the 12th man effect. Was it turned off because the play was substandard to what UK fans are used too?

I guess what I meant was will the racing be so conservative that it'll be like watching traffic on the freeway? As far as crashes, I guess the fans love them and unless your the driver(s) involved you don't even realize it's happened till the caution flag comes out.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Mark 17 May 20, 11:39Post
I'm convinced that NASCAR is just as fake as WWE wrestling. The powers that be seem to have everything scripted.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
DXing 18 May 20, 08:07Post
3 crashes total, pretty conservative racing. No records broken but most of all, nobody seriously hurt. Couple of oops... I said it was the Coca-Cola 600, it was actually the The Real Heroes 400, I got my dates mixed up. I said they have been off for 5 weeks but it was more like 9 weeks.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 18 May 20, 16:17Post
JLAmber wrote:Bundesliga football returned today and that was dreadful. Because of the lack of football elsewhere a whole range of matches, all played behind closed doors, were broadcast all over Europe (we usually see one a week here). I believe more than half the UK TV audience had turned off by the end of the first game, the lack of atmosphere clearly having an impact on the players.

Some "premium mannequins" in the stands will fix that right up {facepalm}

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52702075
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 13 Jun 20, 14:00Post
And now NASCAR fans return to the stands...

NASCAR announced Tuesday that it will allow up to 5,000 guests for the June 21 Cup race at Talladega Superspeedway.
The track also announced that there will be limited motorhome camping spots available outside the track along the backstretch. Tickets are open exclusively on a first-come, first-served basis to fans who purchased tickets or reserved camping for the event, which was previously scheduled for April 26.
Grandstand tickets will be $40 each. Tower tickets will be $50 each. There is no special pricing for kids 12 and younger for the Cup race. A maximum of six seats grouped together will be allowed. The track will automatically block sale of seats to ensure proper spacing for social distancing.

[urlhttps://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/06/09/nascar-to-allow-up-to-5000-fans-at-talladega-cup-race/][/url]

Given that the seating is all outdoors I'm glad to see that NASCAR is seeing the reality of the situation. If we can't sit outdoors and enjoy something then what's the point of it all?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 14 Jun 20, 00:02Post
NASCAR shot itself in the foot. Like the NFL, I won't watch thatnPC bull crap
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Jun 20, 21:07Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:
JLAmber wrote:Bundesliga football returned today and that was dreadful. Because of the lack of football elsewhere a whole range of matches, all played behind closed doors, were broadcast all over Europe (we usually see one a week here). I believe more than half the UK TV audience had turned off by the end of the first game, the lack of atmosphere clearly having an impact on the players.

Some "premium mannequins" in the stands will fix that right up {facepalm}

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52702075

The Bundesliga cardboard cutout fans were interesting. You could go on the clubs' websites and upload a photo of yourself to be printed and sat in the stands in your place. Harold Shipman, Fred West and Purple Aki have all so far enjoyed matches :))
A million great ideas...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 15 Jun 20, 22:18Post
What about Hito? :))
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey