You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : Sports

Canelo Alvarez Vs Golovkin 16 Sept

MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, Bundesliga, Premier League, UEFA CL, Formula One, NASCAR...

Fumanchewd 12 Sep 17, 02:42Post
I haven't seen a fight that I've been this excited about for quite awhile. Mayweather Vs. Paq was a joke, both of those guys were out of their prime already.

THIS should be good. Canelo only has one loss to Mayweather and a draw. Golovkin is undefeated with 33 KO's.

Golovkin-Alvarez, though, is as close to a 50-50 fight as one can get. They have a combined 86-1-1 record, with 67 knockouts in those 88 fights. Alvarez had a draw in his fifth pro fight, a month after he turned 16 in 2006, and then was defeated by Floyd Mayweather in 2013 in a bout that sold more than two million pay-per-views.

This is the rare bout that has received support from the boxing community at large. Boxing is notorious for promoters knocking other promoters’ shows. It’s not at all uncommon for one promoter to try to sabotage another promoter’s major event.

Top Rank’s Bob Arum, who has done it all and had it all done to him in more than a half-century of promoting, took Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya’s side when De La Hoya was railing against the Aug. 26 bout between Mayweather and UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor.

“I can understand why Oscar is upset, of course,” said Arum, who has had many bitter battles with De La Hoya over the last quarter-century. “Oscar’s got a great fight – this match with GGG and Canelo is going to be some fight – and all of you guys [in the media] were talking about the other nonsense [the fight between Mayweather and McGregor].”

Media, though, has been so excited about the fight that it’s become cliché at this point to call GGG-Alvarez “the best fight in boxing.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/ggg-canelo-mak ... 14552.html

A lot of experts have the fight at 50-50, it should be excellent. But I'll take Golovkin. :))
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 12 Sep 17, 07:11Post
I'd rather see Mayweather-Lomachenko, but oh well. There's some good Canelo stuff on YouTube.
Fumanchewd 12 Sep 17, 08:20Post
Allstarflyer wrote:I'd rather see Mayweather-Lomachenko, but oh well. There's some good Canelo stuff on YouTube.

I don't know about Mayweather... he hasn't had an exciting fight in a loooong time.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Sep 17, 19:19Post
Fumanchewd wrote:
Allstarflyer wrote:I'd rather see Mayweather-Lomachenko, but oh well. There's some good Canelo stuff on YouTube.

I don't know about Mayweather... he hasn't had an exciting fight in a loooong time.

{check} Unless marathon running is your thing.

Should be a good fight, though you get the feeling GGG chooses when to get rid of opponents meaning Canelo will have to be on his toes. Hopefully that doesn't result in 12 rounds of catch-me-if-you-can.

On a related note, the World Boxing Super Series kicks off this weekend with the first round of middleweight bouts (cruiserweights follow later in the year). 8 boxers (all ranked top 20 in the world) in each weight class, 4 titles up for grabs with the potential for a 3-belt unification in the cruiserweight division. Should be a lot more entertaining than watching Mayweather run away:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/41195151
A million great ideas...
Tom in NO 12 Sep 17, 21:52Post
Be bold, Canelo!
"Tramps like us"-Bruce Springsteen
Fumanchewd 13 Sep 17, 02:06Post
I was thinking of putting a few hundred on Golovkin (I only sports bet once every few years) but it looks like $200 on Golovkin is only paying out $129. Not worth it.

Interesting considering most of the pundits I'm reading are picking Canelo (even Mayweather).
Fumanchewd 13 Sep 17, 02:24Post
Canelo does have the age advantage but has the weight disadvantage. Here are some highlights of his KO match with Khan last year.

Fumanchewd 17 Sep 17, 03:53Post
Great fight, and a draw!

Adelaide Byrd scored the 118-110 for Canelo and shouldn't be there though.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Sep 17, 12:55Post
Fumanchewd wrote:Great fight, and a draw!

Adelaide Byrd scored the 118-110 for Canelo and shouldn't be there though.

Every independent on the boxrec panel had it 117-115 or 118-113 for GGG. Clearly a fix to facilitate a lucrative rematch.
A million great ideas...