You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : General Photography

Your Latest Shots, Show Them To Us (Non Aviation)

Non-aviation photos, camera equipment and photography in general.

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jul 17, 16:31Post
vikkyvik wrote:Anyone know what kind of spider this is? Leg span was about 1.5-2 inches.

Eratigena atrica, the giant European house spider. Looks like a female of a decent age. They're an introduced species in the Americas, very common over here in Europe. We've had older spiders of this species grow to easily three inches in our garages and they live for many years. We leave them alone because they're very passive with people but will out-compete and eat pretty much any other spider, as well as wasps and hornets.
A million great ideas...
Yokes 13 Jul 17, 21:02Post
From my last photoshoot:

Yokes 22 Jul 17, 18:52Post
Another photoshoot with the girls:

venkat 28 Jul 17, 07:30Post
Some pictures from my last wildlife safari in South India.

https://flic.kr/p/WpuxMM

https://flic.kr/p/W9sbgz

https://flic.kr/p/W23pFB

Regards,
Venkat
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Jul 17, 08:11Post
Yokes, those, uh, cars are very nice.

Venkat, what was that safari like? I mostly am familiar with the African ones.
venkat 28 Jul 17, 09:56Post
Lucas,

These are equally exciting. Except that these are not the plains like Masai Mara, but dense jungles. You drive through jungle trails and are really one with the nature. If I could, I would go there every week. Just too expensive compared to what I earn. :-)

You should try it, check out Kabini safari. Also, I have some more pictures on my Flickr account. Like this. Yay, embedding picture worked.

ImageElephant mudbath by Venkat Mangudi, on Flickr

Cheers,
Venkat
venkat 28 Jul 17, 10:05Post
And now that I have figured out how to post images, here are some more. :-)

Some NYC love.

Lower Manhattan - Night shot - BW by Venkat Mangudi, on Flickr

Lower Manhattan - OWC - Night shot by Venkat Mangudi, on Flickr

And some Jellyfish!

Jellyfish - Camden by Venkat Mangudi, on Flickr
venkat 28 Jul 17, 10:08Post
And here's me trying out some astrophotography without any stacking software. Best viewed if you zoom in, though.

Night Sky Bangalore - Orions belt by Venkat Mangudi, on Flickr
venkat 28 Jul 17, 10:31Post
The last time I was in NYC, I wanted to check out the One World Observatory. As luck would have it, it was rainy and foggy. Nothing visible, apparently. The staff told us to come back another day. And I was leaving the city the next day. So I did the next best thing. Just loved how grey the day was and the building just added to the natural charm. This is not a BW shot, just grey and colourless.

One World Center on a rainy day by Venkat Mangudi, on Flickr
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 28 Jul 17, 11:42Post
Some stunning photos there!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
TNCB 29 Jul 17, 20:10Post
A selfie from my trip to Norway back in March of this year.

ImageAurora Selfie by Kas van Zonneveld, on Flickr
venkat 30 Jul 17, 14:56Post
Great selfie!
md88dawg 30 Jul 17, 17:43Post
At the Denver Botanic Gardens last month, I saw a very nice waterlily garden. The dark color in the water made the colors of the flowers and leaves really pop out.

ImageWater lily garden, Denver Botanic Gardens, June 2017 by Ashley Askew, on Flickr
md88dawg 30 Jul 17, 17:45Post
Also a nice sight for me in May was the Exit Glacier in the Kenai Fjords National Park:

md88dawg 30 Jul 17, 17:48Post
On the coastal and warmer side, here was a nice moonset in San Diego. The Santa Ana winds brought temps of 95F (35C) to a usually cool place, so the hotel air conditioning was straining with the heat. I awoke at 3 am to open the door for some air, and to my surprise, the moon was setting over the water.

ImageSan Diego Harbor Moonset, November 2016 by Ashley Askew, on Flickr
venkat 31 Jul 17, 06:26Post
The moonset picture is AWESOME....
md88dawg 03 Aug 17, 01:55Post
Thanks, Venkat! :) The moon was setting rather quickly, so I was happy to get this just in time. I wouldn't mind visiting there again this winter. :))

venkat wrote:The moonset picture is AWESOME....
vikkyvik 22 Aug 17, 01:32Post
Solar eclipse photos. We only got somewhere around 60% here, but nevertheless....Thankfully, the marine layer burned off fairly early this morning:

vikkyvik 22 Aug 17, 01:37Post
Also, wasp's nest photos from yesterday:

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Aug 17, 06:01Post
Wasps are evil. Kill them with fire ASAP.

I have not had time to really look and edit my photos from RAW. Two pics I just threw up on FB really quickly.

Best thing I've seen in my life.

vikkyvik 10 Oct 17, 04:12Post
More insect photos. This guy/girl was perched just above our front door the other day:

symphonicpoet 26 Oct 17, 03:42Post
Forgive me if I photodump a little in this my first non-aviation post. I'll try to keep it a little under control. But seeing your shots of elephants and bugs and your much better shots of the eclipse than I . . .

With the exception of the eclipse I just haven't shot anything that exotic lately, and the eclipse shots were not optimal because I was so utterly gobsmacked I screwed several things up. Not too surprising, really. But as a result, my pictures of that are a bit fuzzy.

So I'm going to take the liberty of posting at least a couple from a trip a bit more than a year ago. But other than that I'll try to get more recent.

June 2016 . . .
Image[/url]
Later . . .
md88dawg 08 Nov 17, 23:50Post
This egret was in the process of fishing while I was spotting near DCA:

ImageGreat egret, Potomac River, Washington, DC, September 2017 by Ashley Askew, on Flickr
md88dawg 08 Nov 17, 23:52Post
One of the few wooden covered bridges remaining in Georgia:

ImageWatson Mill Bridge, Comer, GA, April 2017 by Ashley Askew, on Flickr
md88dawg 08 Nov 17, 23:53Post
[quote="vikkyvik"]Also, wasp's nest photos from yesterday:

That detail is stunning--not the most pleasant of insects, but you can appreciate that craftsmanship and teamwork (from a safe distance or with a camera!).