You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : General Photography

Your Latest Shots, Show Them To Us (Non Aviation)

Non-aviation photos, camera equipment and photography in general.

mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 19 Feb 15, 17:27Post
Went out last night with a group of Manchester street photographers (3 of whom I work with!) on a bit of a get together. MediaCity was the location, a part of the regenerated Salford Quays which has recently seen the BBC and ITV move into the area. The investment has seen a lot of money spent on the area, and it is a brilliant spot for practising night photography.

Highlights here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/55888425@ ... 8590243953

My favourites:
ImageMediaCity by Night by CaptFlameRate, on Flickr

Unfortunately there was a bit of drizzle in the air which kept landing on the lens; and the low cloud made for a few issues with the light pollution. Good trip nonetheless!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Feb 15, 18:13Post
mhodgson wrote:Went out last night with a group of Manchester street photographers (3 of whom I work with!)

Nice shots, some of the newer architecture in Manchester is very aesthetically pleasing, especially when lit at night {thumbsup}
A million great ideas...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Mar 15, 21:14Post
Bunch of shots, some ok, some not so much. Oh well, at least I have memories.

vikkyvik 27 Mar 15, 22:54Post

Must be some interesting memories.

(by the way, I'm guessing that's actually an issue with my IE at work, and not your photos....won't know till I get home)
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Mar 15, 23:00Post
vikkyvik wrote:Image

Must be some interesting memories.

(by the way, I'm guessing that's actually an issue with my IE at work, and not your photos....won't know till I get home)

I'm thinkin' that it's IE at work! Or at least I hope that they're not all borked!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 28 Mar 15, 00:52Post
Our you were visiting planet X again.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Mar 15, 02:30Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Our you were visiting planet X again.

Nah, haven't seen her in a while now.
vikkyvik 28 Mar 15, 03:23Post
Lucas wrote:I'm thinkin' that it's IE at work! Or at least I hope that they're not all borked!

Yeah, everything looks fine here.

Nice photos! And you said you couldn't take night-sky-photos. Or maybe you didn't say that. I don't remember.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Mar 15, 03:41Post
vikkyvik wrote:
Lucas wrote:I'm thinkin' that it's IE at work! Or at least I hope that they're not all borked!

Yeah, everything looks fine here.

Nice photos! And you said you couldn't take night-sky-photos. Or maybe you didn't say that. I don't remember.

Thanks. This was my first time using a very, very cheap, but seemingly admirable 6.5mm aspherical fish-eye. Got it brand new for $129 following a $50 discount. It is so much better than using an 18.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 28 Mar 15, 11:30Post
Been there! Fascinating place.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
vikkyvik 30 Mar 15, 17:29Post
Ben on Saturday:

Somewhat relatedly, I am continually amazed by the 5D2. Those are all ISO1600 shots with midtones lifted a bit.

Other recent randomness:

And honestly, this one was just me practicing combining two totally different photos, just for kicks:

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 Mar 15, 01:52Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Been there! Fascinating place.

And didn't you go flying around there, too?

Vik, that last show is amazing. Phenomenal. Stuff dreams are made of.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 31 Mar 15, 08:32Post

x2 :)
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
vikkyvik 01 Apr 15, 19:58Post
Lucas wrote:Vik, that last show is amazing. Phenomenal. Stuff dreams are made of.

Thanks, but as I noted, it's not a real photo. The interior and exterior are from two completely different shots.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 01 Apr 15, 20:12Post
vikkyvik wrote:
Lucas wrote:Vik, that last show is amazing. Phenomenal. Stuff dreams are made of.

Thanks, but as I noted, it's not a real photo. The interior and exterior are from two completely different shots.

It's an ART, man!!!
airtrainer 02 Apr 15, 13:25Post
Zak wrote:

x2 :)

x3 fantastic shots, Lucas, now I just want to go there again ;)
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 02 Apr 15, 14:15Post
Lucas wrote:

And didn't you go flying around there, too?

Not that far south, more Provo / Park City / Heber City. But "around there" compared to the distance I travelled to get there. :)
Nosedive 05 Apr 15, 16:30Post
Sorry (not sorry) bros, but Colorado trumps your tiny, pink states.

graphic 21 Apr 15, 17:45Post
Here's some that I took during my end of march/beginning of april vacay. The first couple of pics are from Old Davidsonville state park. The park is built around one of the oldest settlements in Arkansas, the town was settled in 1815 and had the first Courthouse and Land Office in the state. It is in a spot along the Black River and at the time was an important port in northeast Arkansas. A few years after the town was formed, the main trail between St. Louis and Texas changed routes to higher ground and the town was abandoned by 1830.

The first picture is of the Phillips/Reeves cemetery. A couple of headstones here mark the graves of some Revolutionary war veterans.
ImagePhillips Reeves Cemetery by theskyhawker, on Flickr

ImageRiver Trail 2 by theskyhawker, on Flickr

The next five shots are from Hall's Creek Canyon, just outside Ravenden Springs, Arkansas. There are five springs that feed into Hall's Creek, and each of them were known for healing properties and named as such. In the early to mid 1800s, Ravenden Springs was one of the largest resort towns in the state with many spas and hotels, but by the turn of the 19th century the town was in decline. My grandpa was a preacher at the local baptist church for many years, and his parsonage was right above the spring so we'd go down alot and fish for crawdad and swim in the cool water. You can actually get drinking water out of Stomach Spring, they have a water spigot drilled into a concrete wall in the hillside with easy access. That part was upstream of where I took these pics. Also, the first picture shows School Cave, so named because that was the location of the first school in Arkansas, where a methodist preacher started teaching Math, History, Language, and whatever else they taught back in those days.

ImageHall's Creek Canyon by theskyhawker, on Flickr

The last two are from my family's property near Ravenden Springs. First pic is McAfee Creek, a more or less seasonal stream that as of this picture was carrying the water they got during the rainy season. Second picture is of the main barn on the property.

ImageMcAfee Creek 3 by theskyhawker, on Flickr
ImageBarn 1 by theskyhawker, on Flickr
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Apr 15, 21:06Post
Nosedive wrote:Sorry (not sorry) bros, but Colorado trumps your tiny, pink states.

Hey, I go there a lot. It's great for pot smog and crowds.

Graphic, I saw these earlier! They have kind of a creepy beauty to them.
Nosedive 22 Apr 15, 05:30Post
Lucas wrote:
Nosedive wrote:Sorry (not sorry) bros, but Colorado trumps your tiny, pink states.

Hey, I go there a lot. It's great for pot smog and crowds.

vikkyvik 27 Apr 15, 04:32Post
I obviously didn't take this shot and don't know who did. But it used to hang on my grandmother's wall. After she died a few years ago, I scanned a bunch of photos, and decided to scan this as well. Since it was too large, I had to scan it in two parts. Only just got around to combining them in Photoshop (which I had to do by hand as the automatic functions couldn't seem to figure out how to do it).

Madras High Court, 1899:

graphic 06 May 15, 00:27Post
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 18 May 15, 22:23Post
The first of many photos (over 1000 taken, though they won't all be going on Flickr!) from my recent trip to Scotland; and my first attempt at stitching photos to create a panorama. Very happy with the result!

ImageOban_Panorama1 by Martin Hodgson, on Flickr

Oban Harbour.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 May 15, 06:30Post
That's not Oban, the sun's out.