You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : General Photography

New Camera - 2021 Edition

Non-aviation photos, camera equipment and photography in general.

airtrainer 31 Dec 20, 00:04Post
Hi all,

I'm currently thinking about upgrading to a new camera as my good old Canon 7D is almost 9 years old. It's still working good, but considering my previous camera lasted 8 years, I just want to look at the different options "just in case"...
Biiig question now, should I go for a classic DSLR or a Mirrorless ? For a classic DSLR I would likely go for a Canon 90D or a 6DmkII. But for a mirrorless I'm thinking about Canon or Sony... Any feedback ?
Grounded...
Yokes 31 Dec 20, 15:37Post
I think the 90D is a good option for spotting. And you can use your lenses, dont have to buy new ones.

Speaking of mirrorless, the Canon R5 would be a dream, but the price... {crazy}
airtrainer 31 Dec 20, 16:54Post
Indeed, the 90D would be the cheapest option.
For the price Canon ask for their mirrorless bodies and lenses, save from the EOS Rp which is already said to be replaced in 2021, I think Sony have a better selection, but I would indeed need at least one new lens...
Grounded...
Yokes 01 Jan 21, 14:16Post
The EOS RP could be an option too, but I think i would choose the EOS R then. After the firmware update the image quality got much better. With an adapter you can also use your lenses. If you think about that, it could be worth waiting for the new releases in 2021. I´m sure there will be some interesting models.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 01 Jan 21, 20:47Post
I'm just hoping to use my camera this year. Shutter count on the D3300 shows a grand total of 27 actuations in the last twelve months {sigh}

Yokes wrote:Speaking of mirrorless, the Canon R5 would be a dream, but the price... {crazy}

Makes the Nikon Z7 look like a bargain! When did Canon get so expensive?
A million great ideas...
Yokes 02 Jan 21, 13:51Post
JLAmber wrote: When did Canon get so expensive?

They have always been expensive with their professional cameras.

I just read an article that they will anounce some new APS-C cameras with RF mount in 2021. That could get interesting.
md88dawg 03 Jan 21, 08:45Post
A few photographer friends I know are either switching to mirrorless or have talked about it. I recently had the same debate with myself, but I decided to wait and let the technology develop some more. I was not too keen on the battery life for this price just yet, as well as a few other improvements that could be made with the cards. I then debated between the 6DM2 and the 5DM4, and I was told the 6DM2 was quite a performer for the price. I almost went with that, but a Black Friday special popped up that I could not pass. Good luck! I had my one and only body go down on me in YVR a few years ago, and fortunately, I was able to borrow a camera for the rest of my trip.
airtrainer 03 Jan 21, 18:31Post
md88dawg wrote:A few photographer friends I know are either switching to mirrorless or have talked about it. I recently had the same debate with myself, but I decided to wait and let the technology develop some more. I was not too keen on the battery life for this price just yet, as well as a few other improvements that could be made with the cards. I then debated between the 6DM2 and the 5DM4, and I was told the 6DM2 was quite a performer for the price. I almost went with that, but a Black Friday special popped up that I could not pass. Good luck! I had my one and only body go down on me in YVR a few years ago, and fortunately, I was able to borrow a camera for the rest of my trip.

I almost bought a 6DmkII last year, at the current price it's a very good deal ! Battery life is not the best on mirrorless indeed, something that is said to be much better on the Sony A7RIII or IV...
Grounded...
Yokes 05 Jan 21, 20:44Post
Just heard some rumors about Canon. It says they plan an R5S with 90 MP and an R7 with APS-C which replaces the 7D Mk2. We´ll see. An R7 could be a good option.
airtrainer 05 Jan 21, 21:15Post
Yokes wrote:Just heard some rumors about Canon. It says they plan an R5S with 90 MP and an R7 with APS-C which replaces the 7D Mk2. We´ll see. An R7 could be a good option.

I've heard about the 90 MP too, as a replacement for the ageing 5Ds/5DsR, better anticipate a lot of storage for the files {bugeye}
A successor for the 7DmkII would be great indeed !
Grounded...
Yokes 05 Jan 21, 21:58Post
airtrainer wrote:
better anticipate a lot of storage for the files {bugeye}

And a very strong computer for the editing... {boggled}

Not nessesary to have so many MPs, around 30 MP should be fine.
NCoats737 30 Jan 21, 22:31Post
Late to the party but I'll add my 2 cents.

All depends on what your budget is. $$$ is still king here.

If you have a lot of Canon glass already and don't plan on making investments into more new glass, then stick with something that will allow you to keep that glass and continue to use it. Canon R series has done well and if you already own a 7D or a 5D camera, the great thing is you can use your same batteries thus saving on cost as well. With the R5 and R6 coming out you can pick up a lightly used Canon R for a very decent price these days.

There are pro's and con's to both DSLR and mirrorless cameras. Do your research, and think about what you need and what will work for you.

Personally, I'm switching over to mirrorless, and more specifically switching to Sony. having rented the Sony A7RIV and A9II I'm thoroughly impressed what can be put into a small package these days. Battery life on both cameras have been great and I don't feel like I've needed the battery grip but, i do always have a spare battery on me, even on long days shooting at LAX sun up to Sun down 2 batteries have been enough to get me through the day, something the Canon R series can't say as they're still using the older battery technology but I would anticipate updates from Canon in the near future.

Either way, you can't go wrong with what camera companies are producing these days, lots of R&D being put into mirrorless cameras all of which just benefits the consumer.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 Jan 21, 14:51Post
I need to get a new camera for my backpacking. Mirrorless is lightweight, but the battery-burn kind of negates that over 6-7 days, I'd say. Also not a huge fan of having to go in on new lenses.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the SL3 and 90D. I've always used the X0D series, but the little SLs are sure nice for backpacking. Lugging 10 extra lbs of camera gear 60 miles isn't a blast.
airtrainer 03 Feb 21, 20:14Post
Money is king indeed :(
I was thinking about staying with Canon but if moving to full frame I will need new lenses as my longer lens for now is the 70-200 which is a bit short on FF, and I also have a 24-105 that has some focussing issues so it will likely need to be replaced. Money 1 - Me 0.

As Lucas said, weight and size are also important to me and there are a couple of things I really don't like with the Canon R series: the EF mount lenses need an adapter and while it's said to be working perfectly fine I don't fancy the idea to add 200€ and 120g on a camera body that is 200g lighter than a DSLR. And the native RF lenses are way too expensive {redflag} . Money 2 - Me 0.

In a perfect world I would restrict the new camera to spotting only and buy a good compact camera for travels as the more I travel, the more I want to pack light. Money 3 - Me 0.
Grounded...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Feb 21, 02:38Post
airtrainer wrote:Money is king indeed :(
I was thinking about staying with Canon but if moving to full frame I will need new lenses as my longer lens for now is the 70-200 which is a bit short on FF, and I also have a 24-105 that has some focussing issues so it will likely need to be replaced. Money 1 - Me 0.

As Lucas said, weight and size are also important to me and there are a couple of things I really don't like with the Canon R series: the EF mount lenses need an adapter and while it's said to be working perfectly fine I don't fancy the idea to add 200€ and 120g on a camera body that is 200g lighter than a DSLR. And the native RF lenses are way too expensive {redflag} . Money 2 - Me 0.

In a perfect world I would restrict the new camera to spotting only and buy a good compact camera for travels as the more I travel, the more I want to pack light. Money 3 - Me 0.

That is an excellent summary of the bind we're in. In some ways, it's opportunity paralysis. Back when we had a smaller array to choose from, I typically just begrudgingly went with the option always slightly more than I wanted to spend.

Maybe I should look into a secondhand body. I've never gone that route, if it really even exists.
vikkyvik 05 Feb 21, 18:20Post
Lucas wrote:Maybe I should look into a secondhand body. I've never gone that route, if it really even exists.

It does. My last two (or maybe three) bodies were used - 50D (maybe...can't remember), 5D2, and my current 6D. Never had an issue.

Of course, I wouldn't buy a used body that had 80,000 shutter actuations on it already...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Feb 21, 21:00Post
vikkyvik wrote:
Lucas wrote:Maybe I should look into a secondhand body. I've never gone that route, if it really even exists.

It does. My last two (or maybe three) bodies were used - 50D (maybe...can't remember), 5D2, and my current 6D. Never had an issue.

Of course, I wouldn't buy a used body that had 80,000 shutter actuations on it already...

If I might inquire, did you get them off of ebay, or is it better to look at retailers or something? I'm all about saving a little scratch.
airtrainer 05 Feb 21, 21:15Post
I bought my 70-200 on eBay some years ago.
Grounded...
vikkyvik 08 Feb 21, 16:04Post
Lucas wrote:If I might inquire, did you get them off of ebay, or is it better to look at retailers or something? I'm all about saving a little scratch.

You might indeed inquire, and no, I didn't buy them on ebay. To be honest, I don't think I've ever bought anything on ebay.

If I remember correctly (big IF), the 50D was Craigslist, the 5D2 might have been Craigslist, and the 6D was from my wife's cousin (I also almost bought his 6D2 a few months ago, but can't quite justify the purchase to myself).

I've also bought a few lenses used. Generally, never had an issue, but whether that's because I'm a savvy purchaser (doubtful) or just luck (more likely), who's to say?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 09 Feb 21, 14:54Post
Remember, you can always rent a camera/lens to try it out.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Feb 21, 17:08Post
vikkyvik wrote:
Lucas wrote:If I might inquire, did you get them off of ebay, or is it better to look at retailers or something? I'm all about saving a little scratch.

You might indeed inquire, and no, I didn't buy them on ebay. To be honest, I don't think I've ever bought anything on ebay.

If I remember correctly (big IF), the 50D was Craigslist, the 5D2 might have been Craigslist, and the 6D was from my wife's cousin (I also almost bought his 6D2 a few months ago, but can't quite justify the purchase to myself).

I've also bought a few lenses used. Generally, never had an issue, but whether that's because I'm a savvy purchaser (doubtful) or just luck (more likely), who's to say?

I have purchased lenses from the grey market, but I've never done the straight-secondhand route. However, I've been purchasing more used items online and it's gone shockingly well for me.

@airtrainer, thank you for the remark. I will have to start sniffing around.

@BSK, I'd literally never considered that as I have often lived out in the boonies. We're hoping to have our next vacation in MIA/EYW, so I'm sure that somewhere along the way I'll be able to pop in and try out some packages. Good idea.