You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : General Photography

5D3 or 6D? Neither. 100-400 Mk2!

Non-aviation photos, camera equipment and photography in general.

vikkyvik 28 Apr 17, 18:57Post
So prompted by two major things:

1.) My 100-400 Mk1, which I bought used, is not doing so well;
2.) An acquaintance is retiring from Canon, and letting me use her discount;

I've decided to purchase the 100-400 Mark II.

I still want a new camera. But I really don't need one. I think the lens is a better and more practical purchase at this point.

Aside from presumably better image quality, several things have me excited about the upgrade:

1.) Back to ring zoom, instead of push-pull. Push-pull was absolutely great for manual focusing, but since I do very little of that, I think a ring zoom is better.
2.) Better and quicker focusing.
3.) Better IS. I don't think the IS on the 100-400 Mk1 was all that great. And it's been really not working well for a few months now. Also interested to try out IS Mode 3, which the new lens has.
4.) Much reduced close-focusing distance. Max magnification is listed at 0.31x for the Mark 2. That's fantastic - even better than my old 300 F4L IS. Time for more pseudo-macro shots!
5.) Moisture sealing - the Mark 2 has moisture sealing at the mount. The Mark 1 didn't....and given how much I took that lens out into the rain, I anticipate doing so even more with the Mark 2.

But Vik, you ask, what are you doing with your old 100-400??? Oh, you didn't ask? Fine then.

Thus concludes Chapter 4 of Why Vik Has No Money.
mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 29 Apr 17, 17:41Post
You'll not be disappointed. Sharp throughout the range. I only just recently tried IS mode 3 myself and it works very well. Easier to follow aircraft with as you are not working against the stabilisation and it saves on battery life quite a bit as the IS only kicks in as soon as you hit the shutter button.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 29 Apr 17, 18:19Post
Can't wait to see what you can pull off with this, Vik!
Paul Chandler1 09 May 17, 17:04Post
It is an awsome lens. Had mine for a while now and have been very impressed with the results
airtrainer 21 May 17, 19:45Post
vikkyvik wrote:4.) Max magnification is listed at 0.31x for the Mark 2. That's fantastic - even better than my old 300 F4L IS. Time for more pseudo-macro shots!

This is what I love with the MkII too, I'd want more range that I currently have with my 70-200, the 70-300 would be great but both are 0.21x. I was also looking at the 400mm f/5.6L but it has only 0.12x magnification and no IS :( Of course the 70-300 would be the cheapest option as I could sell my problem child 70-200 to fund it. Option 2 is to buy that damn 100-400 and fly less for a while, but that's not really an option...

vikkyvik wrote:Thus concludes Chapter 4 of Why Vik and Jeff Have No Money.
Grounded...