You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : General Photography

Upgrading My Photo Game

Non-aviation photos, camera equipment and photography in general.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 27 Nov 16, 23:47Post
So, due to "CyberMonday," I might be able to upgrade my photography game. At least as far as equipment is concerned. I'm considering one of the following cameras:

Canon EOS Rebel T6 ($450)
EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm Zoom Lenses
http://a.co/9Y8hl3K

or

Nikon D3400 w/ AF-P DX ($500)
NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR & AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED
http://a.co/b0pkOVs

I'd also like to upgrade the PC that I do my photo editing on. I currently use a Dell XPS M1730 running Win7. It's slower than it should be (it could use a fresh OS install) and the video drivers are cantankerous to deal with any sort of calibration. I'm considering a refurbished 21.5" iMac. Are Macs still the "gold standard" in photo editing that they were once purported to be?

It would be nice to manage my iDevices on a "native" system since doing so on my current Asus or the Dell has proven "touchy."
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Nov 16, 04:14Post
Try to get a T6s and not a T6i. Both are way better than the T6.

A T6i bundle right now is going for $499.

Keep checking out these links:

http://dealnews.com/c168/Electronics/Cameras/Digital-Cameras/

https://slickdeals.net/deals/photo/

Not a huge fan of the 75-300. Would look around for something better, because the optics are kinda shoddy IMHO. But if you don't care too much, I guess it is a good starter.

I am not sure where my 75-300 even is.

What is your price range for computer? Laptop only? I'm going to build computer number two of the year and for super cheap, but my buddies at Qt3 (tech retards all, and mostly employed as software engineers and junk) are keeping me up to speed on some good prebuilts.

Again, keep an eye on those two websites.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 28 Nov 16, 05:42Post
Lucas wrote:Not a huge fan of the 75-300. Would look around for something better, because the optics are kinda shoddy IMHO. But if you don't care too much, I guess it is a good starter.

Well, I want great optics, but all I know about is power. My current camera has the "equivalent" of a 300mm lens, so I want something at least as powerful.

Lucas wrote:What is your price range for computer? Laptop only?

I don't have a price range as I'm really only interested in the iMac as a photo editor. My Asus is enough for all of my other computing needs.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Nov 16, 05:47Post
I need to mosey down that way and take you out to dinner! Obviously the ol' galface was a bit better at gettin' my rear in gear (to her credit, she probably came up here more often).

Also interesting on photos. No clue about Macs, but I know about optimizing for editing vs. gaming vs whatever. God bless http://www.tomshardware.com/
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 29 Nov 16, 02:29Post
Lucas wrote:Obviously the ol' galface was a bit better at gettin' my rear in gear

Amazing the powers they have. I miss those powers.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 29 Nov 16, 23:07Post
Looks like I'll be going with the Nikon. It has more megapixels than the Canon. I've waited too long for the special pricing, so I have to find some additional method to justify the purchase.

I'm still not sold on the computer, as my Dell still works (buggy and bad attitude) and I'm well versed in the workflow. The iMac does have a beautiful display though.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 30 Nov 16, 10:43Post
I got an 80D...might get an 18-155, but I really don't care about the longer end. Ever since I started working ATC in the tower env, spotting hasn't been high on my priority.

Did get an 8mm rectangular for some upcoming roadtrips...I guess maybe I need to get a replacement gal to spice things up. Not sure that doing it by myself will be as fun. : - /
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 30 Nov 16, 15:32Post
Lucas wrote:I got an 80D

That's way out of my price range. Even without the Cyber Monday deal, I still got a pretty good price on the kit. Just the body for the 80D is significantly more pricey.

With some tutoring, I was finally able to figure out how to correctly compare max focal length and zoom power. I was also able to understand why my previous camera (Fuji HS25EXR) with it's "equivalent" 720mm lens was so inferior (dramatically so) to any DSLR with a run of the mill 300mm lens. It's kinda like having a Ferrari and putting an engine from a Ford Focus in it.

I'm going to go out and test it today. Hopefully the winds out at APA are favorable.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 30 Nov 16, 15:55Post
Gone to the Dark Side, you have.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 30 Nov 16, 20:20Post
By going with Nikon, or just going full DSLR in general? {laugh}
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 30 Nov 16, 21:03Post
ShyFlyer wrote:By going with Nikon, or just going full DSLR in general? {laugh}

The DSLR other than Canon. :))
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 30 Nov 16, 22:05Post
You got a great camera, Shy. I got a good deal on the 80D but it was more than I'd like.

Mainly got the 80D for astrophotography.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 01 Dec 16, 01:56Post
miamiair wrote:
ShyFlyer wrote:By going with Nikon, or just going full DSLR in general? {laugh}

The DSLR other than Canon. :))

Next thing ya know, I'll be flying an Airbus. {bugeye} {embarrassed} :))
airtrainer 01 Dec 16, 11:08Post
Lucas wrote:Did get an 8mm rectangular for some upcoming roadtrips...

Which one did you get ? I have a Tamron 10-24 but sometimes would love to go wider than 10 (ok, 16 since it's on an APS-C body)... I'm also looking at the Samyang 8mm but it's fisheye so not really appropriate for nature/landscape...
Grounded...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Dec 16, 03:46Post
airtrainer wrote:
Lucas wrote:Did get an 8mm rectangular for some upcoming roadtrips...

Which one did you get ? I have a Tamron 10-24 but sometimes would love to go wider than 10 (ok, 16 since it's on an APS-C body)... I'm also looking at the Samyang 8mm but it's fisheye so not really appropriate for nature/landscape...

I got the Samyang. It has actually served me well for landscapes. Unfortunately, the last one I tossed out of a moving car...don't ask.

Some samples:

airtrainer 15 Dec 16, 06:15Post
Woww, I absolutely LOVE your shots :o
Didn't know Samyang had a rectangular version of their 8mm, I guess I will make some investigations soon...
Grounded...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Dec 16, 06:30Post
Thanks. All manual and I'm learning how; most credit goes to the landscapes! {blush}

Depending on the angle of horizon, it can create horrific distortion, but level with the horizon it will be minimal or non-existent.

It seems that the Bower/Samyang/Rokinon (etc) lenses in this variety are all the same, and claim anything between 6.5-8mm. They also range in price but are all the same optics. I have heard it rumored that some of the exterior housing varies (loose screws on the Opteka "branding"), but can't verify.

Anyway, for so cheap it's a great deal, IMHO!
airtrainer 17 Jan 17, 20:13Post
Finally got one ! Bought it from a photographer at half the price and it's in perfect conditions :)
Attachments
IMG_5911b.jpg
IMG_5911b.jpg (235.5 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
Grounded...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Jan 17, 05:39Post
airtrainer wrote:Finally got one ! Bought it from a photographer at half the price and it's in perfect conditions :)

Ooooh, I like it! Very creative with the windmill, too!!! {bugeye}
airtrainer 19 Jan 17, 16:16Post
Thanks {blush} (and I now realise that an articulated control screen, that my camera is missing, is actually not a bad thing !).

Btw where did you take the shots #4 and 6 ?
Grounded...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Jan 17, 07:45Post
Red Mountain Open in northern CO, and False Kiva in Cayonlands, UT! False Kiva has no official trail or map, to protect it, but it's still easy to find.

I live among wind turbines (in fact, I have TERPS restrictions that I have to issue on certain departures due to them), but never thought to use them for art! I swear that I'm an idiot!
airtrainer 24 Jan 17, 15:46Post
Lucas wrote:Red Mountain Open in northern CO, and False Kiva in Cayonlands, UT! False Kiva has no official trail or map, to protect it, but it's still easy to find.

This reminds me that I should visit the National Parks again {cheerful}

Lucas wrote:I live among wind turbines (in fact, I have TERPS restrictions that I have to issue on certain departures due to them), but never thought to use them for art! I swear that I'm an idiot!

No my friend, I'm glad I gave you some inspiration {blush} Here's another (poor) shot of the same turbines from a longer distance...

IMG_5780b.jpg
IMG_5780b.jpg (117.58 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
Grounded...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jan 17, 17:38Post
Those are fantastic colors! I work exclusively swings now, so I never manage to get up for sunrises, and work during sunsets. {guilty}