You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : General Photography

5D2 to 5D3? Or what?

Non-aviation photos, camera equipment and photography in general.

vikkyvik 13 Sep 16, 18:01Post
Been using my 5D2 for a couple years now. Since I like to stay about one camera generation behind current technology, I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade to the 5D3 now that the 5D4 is coming out.

The 5D3 has attractive points:
- much better focusing system
- 100% viewfinder coverage
- expanded ISO range
- faster burst rate, though this isn't all that important.
- autofocus at F8
- better high-ISO performance, though maybe not too much better

There's also the 6D, which seems to have better high-ISO performance than the 5D3. But I'd lose the upgraded focusing system, 100% VF coverage, AF at F8, and I'd have to go back to SD cards.

Or do I save up (a lot) of money and get a 5D4 (this option does not appeal to me)?

Do I give up digital and spend my money shooting film exclusively?

Do I give up photography completely and take up bear-hunting?

Seems like 1000D --> 50D and 50D --> 5D2 were easy decisions, comparatively.
airtrainer 13 Sep 16, 20:43Post
The 5D3 will certainly not be disappointing. There will also be a 6D2 soon (probably early 2017) that could be tempting depending on the price...
Grounded...
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 13 Sep 16, 21:30Post
Geez, I have a 5D2 backup I need to get rid of. Now the 5D SR, that is a beast. :)) The drawback is it isn't is good at high ISO.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
vikkyvik 15 Sep 16, 15:06Post
airtrainer wrote:There will also be a 6D2 soon (probably early 2017) that could be tempting depending on the price...

I tend to buy used, because I usually can't afford new cameras. But we'll see...

miamiair wrote:Geez, I have a 5D2 backup I need to get rid of. Now the 5D SR, that is a beast. The drawback is it isn't is good at high ISO.

I took a look at the 5DS/SR, but ISO only goes up to 6400 (expandable to 12800). That's not gonna cut it for me.

And, frankly, 50 MP sounds like more hassle than it's worth.
mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 15 Sep 16, 21:22Post
I have the 5D mk iii and I don't believe I'll be upgrading any time soon. It's performance at higher ISO is outstanding, and whilst it's not as good as it's Nikon counterparts in the lower ISO's, it is still a good step up from the 5D mk ii. And the 24MP file sizes are perfect to deal with. Having the CF and SD card slots will always be helpful, also having the centre F8 focusing point is handy if you happen to be using a 1.4 teleconverter, etc
vikkyvik 16 Sep 16, 01:28Post
mr chips wrote:I have the 5D mk iii and I don't believe I'll be upgrading any time soon. It's performance at higher ISO is outstanding, and whilst it's not as good as it's Nikon counterparts in the lower ISO's, it is still a good step up from the 5D mk ii. And the 24MP file sizes are perfect to deal with. Having the CF and SD card slots will always be helpful, also having the centre F8 focusing point is handy if you happen to be using a 1.4 teleconverter, etc

I was hoping you'd respond Dave, as I thought you had the 5D3. :))

I'm not bothered by low ISO performance at all. 5D2 is fine for that, and I imagine the 5D3 will be as good.

But high ISO, and certainly F8 focusing, are big deals. I'll be willing to use the 1.4x quite a bit more if I don't have to manually focus.

5D3 seems like the only reasonable option for me. 1DX and 5D4 are out of the price range, 6D and 5DS/R don't offer some key things...

I'm hoping, like you, that I won't want to upgrade for quite awhile.