You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : General Photography

Photographer Sues Getty Images For $ 1 Bln

Non-aviation photos, camera equipment and photography in general.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 28 Jul 16, 16:14Post
I'm not a fan of frivolous lawsuits, but this one looks interesting.

Renowned photographer Carol M. Highsmith is reportedly suing Getty Images for $1 billion, claiming that the stock photo company committed copyright infringement through the “gross misuse” of 18,755 of her photographs documenting America.

http://petapixel.com/2016/07/27/photogr ... 1-billion/

In brief, the story goes like this:

• Highsmith donated her lifetime archive of photos to the Library of Congress.
  • The photos are being listed in the LoC's archive as "public domain", which is just what Highsmith had intended.
  • Next thing, Getty sends Highsmith a bill, claiming that Getty owns the photos and Highsmith is illegally using her own photos on her own website, by thus infringing Getty's copyright.

This is not the first time Getty pulls a stunt like this. In 2013, photographer Daniel Morel was awarded $ 1.2 M in a lawsuit against AFP and Getty Images, who illegally had used one of his photos.

In the Highsmith case, they are now accused of having stolen and wrongfully marketed 18,755 photos, hence the slightly bigger bill.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
graphic 28 Jul 16, 20:06Post
If the allegations turn out to be true, whatever the monetary outcome I hope Getty gets their peepee slapped hard.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 25 Nov 16, 20:59Post
Bump. It's over:

Earlier this year, photographer Carol Highsmith received a $120 settlement demand from Getty Images after she used one of her own public domain images on her website. Highsmith responded with a $1bn lawsuit but after a few short months the case is all over, with neither side a clear winner.

https://torrentfreak.com/1bn-getty-imag ... er-161125/

“It is hereby stipulated and agreed, by and among the parties, that this action shall be dismissed with prejudice pursuant to Rule 41(a)(l)(A)(ii) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, each party to bear its own costs and fees,” the Judge wrote in his dismissal.

Does this mean that they both agreed it could get really ugly and walked away?
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.