You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : General Photography

Portrait Thread

Non-aviation photos, camera equipment and photography in general.

Fumanchewd 23 Aug 15, 09:06Post
I am self taught, and I still need help. But I love it. To me it is the best art, I love to take pictures of people not as they look, but how I feel them to look.

"Give us a kiss, big tits."
vikkyvik 23 Aug 15, 19:07Post
Nice shots!

Amusingly, I don't like taking photos of people (unless they are somehow involved in a scene which I am capturing).

However, the dog is a great portrait subject...

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 23 Aug 15, 19:30Post
Great shots, Fu! I really can't find any flaws with them. If I absolutely have to criticize something, then it's the third shot, where you slightly cut off the girl's shoes. But I know how hard it is to observe all these small details, and I wish my portraits were as good as yours.

I'd love to do more portraits, but don't find many opportunities for it. Most of my personal friends aren't into photography, and I'm too chicken to do proper streets.

So I usually do portraits only on the occasional wedding - next opportunity's coming up on Saturday.

I have a meager 4 shots in the People gallery on my website, and 1 of the isn't even mine (The Founder).
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Fumanchewd 11 Sep 15, 01:25Post
Great dog shots V.

I am doing a dog show this weekend for a breeder I know. I have a feeling that if I do it right it could lead to a lot of business. I did one previous dog shoot and it was my worst shoot ever as it was in public at the park and the dog could not sit still for a second. It was an Akida who just kept chasing ducks and Chihuahuas. It was like photographing Fu at a strip bar. B-)

Any pointers? I am most interested in how the dogs react to flash.
Last edited by Fumanchewd on 11 Sep 15, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
Fumanchewd 11 Sep 15, 01:45Post
Zak wrote:Great shots, Fu! I really can't find any flaws with them. If I absolutely have to criticize something, then it's the third shot, where you slightly cut off the girl's shoes. But I know how hard it is to observe all these small details, and I wish my portraits were as good as yours.

I'd love to do more portraits, but don't find many opportunities for it. Most of my personal friends aren't into photography, and I'm too chicken to do proper streets.

So I usually do portraits only on the occasional wedding - next opportunity's coming up on Saturday.

I have a meager 4 shots in the People gallery on my website, and 1 of the isn't even mine (The Founder).

Did you get any at the wedding?
vikkyvik 11 Sep 15, 05:55Post
Fumanchewd wrote:Great dog shots V.

Thanks!

Fumanchewd wrote:Any pointers? I am most interested in how the dogs react to flash.

Ummm, can't say I have many pointers. Probably the most important thing I've learned is that you have to be able to react very quickly. Dogs can be quite a variety of action and emotion, but they have no concept of waiting till you're ready.

For example, the 2nd shot I posted (with the two dogs) is a successful failure for me. The dogs had been in the sunshine, but they were in the shade when I took that shot, and I didn't react and change settings quickly enough. The original unedited shot looks like this:

Thankfully, DSLR sensors being what they are, I was able to revive the shot.

With regard to flash, keep in mind that dogs can get redeye, just like humans. And sometimes you can get some weird reflection effects, like Ben's right eye in this one (this one isn't bad - I've seen worse, but can't find it right now):

Other than that, our dogs don't seem to mind flash too much. But not being much of a portrait guy, I don't use flash very often.

Also, depending on the dog's fur length and color, backlighting can actually be very cool:

EDIT: One other thing - With dogs and their snouts, DOF can sometimes be an issue for closeup or telephoto stuff. I've always been told to make sure their eyes are in focus, and I'd say that's been good advice.
Fumanchewd 14 Jan 16, 13:53Post
The family and portrait threads are both locked so I'll just stick my son's pictures here, he just turned 4 months last week.

I think he learned the second pics facial expression by watching me drive.

We were wearing matching outfits when I took those.

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jan 16, 15:23Post
Fumanchewd wrote:The family and portrait threads are both locked so I'll just stick my son's pictures here, he just turned 4 months last week.

They can always be unlocked ;)

What a handsome chap, many congratulations {thumbsup}
A million great ideas...
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 14 Jan 16, 15:32Post
JLAmber wrote:What a handsome chap, many congratulations {thumbsup}

He's a little cutie - congratulations from me as well.
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 14 Jan 16, 21:46Post
Great shots! Cute baby too!

Fumanchewd wrote:We were wearing matching outfits when I took those.

:o Um...hopefully your diaper doesn't fill up as fast? {laugh}
Make Orwell fiction again.
Fumanchewd 18 May 16, 17:16Post
I haven't done many shoots lately, but here are a few for a woman i work with whose daughter is graduating from high school.

It was a frustrating shoot because they showed up about 30 minutes after we had planned with only about 30 minutes of light left and the sunset colors I love to shoot with were diffused by clouds. The photos turned out pretty good, but I would have preferred more of that sunset light giving warmth and filling the subject. Additionally, I have been struggling with my strobe flashes and not having the light looking too fluorescent and unnatural. I was dragging my big Einstein light with a 4' octagon softbox and it was all for nothing as the natural light + shoe flash photos came out better. Its an area I need to work on quite a bit.

Lastly, the money I make from the shoots hasn't been worth my time, but as I build a portfolio and experience it may pay off.

I have two more shoots planned in the next two weeks and have some ideas on how to make my strobes look more professional, we will see...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 18 May 16, 18:27Post
403 Forbidden on all those images, mate {boggled}
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 19 May 16, 10:41Post
I can't see them either.
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
Fumanchewd 21 May 16, 10:38Post
Let's try photobucket, it drops the quality down tho..

vikkyvik 18 Jun 16, 02:09Post
Fumanchewd wrote:I haven't done many shoots lately, but here are a few for a woman i work with whose daughter is graduating from high school.

Contrary to my usual shooting habits, I've taken a bunch of photos recently at a law school graduation, then at a high school graduation. Had to dig out the old Speedlite and quickly figure out how to use it decently.

I don't normally share family photos, so I'm sharing these at a small size. But I do like how some of them came out, especially this one:

Then I like how this one came out too. I took it while I was walking, shooting from the hip:

I'm by no means a master of flash photography, but I've done better than I expected....
Fumanchewd 18 Jun 16, 02:56Post
vikkyvik wrote:
Fumanchewd wrote:

I'm by no means a master of flash photography, but I've done better than I expected....

That's a real nice shot. The golden hour (I can see the sunset in the back) is one of the best times to shoot, but the flash on the face worked out well and looks perfectly natural. That is the hard part, not having the flash so glaring and reflective off of faces.

I bought one of these for my speedlight when its on the shoe and it helps sometimes, its cheap and you may want to give it a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Universal ... n+diffuser

There are several other similar speedlight diffusers.
vikkyvik 18 Jun 16, 05:42Post
Fumanchewd wrote:That's a real nice shot. The golden hour (I can see the sunset in the back) is one of the best times to shoot, but the flash on the face worked out well and looks perfectly natural. That is the hard part, not having the flash so glaring and reflective off of faces.

Thanks a lot! I was quite happy with that one, especially since when I said I was shooting from the hip, I meant quite literally - wanted to have it completely candid, and have the camera down at about his eye level.

Fumanchewd wrote:I bought one of these for my speedlight when its on the shoe and it helps sometimes, its cheap and you may want to give it a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion. Since I don't shoot people regularly (or particularly willingly), that's probably more equipment than I want to carry (my camera bag is already stuffed). I've just been using the little pull-down diffuser thing that's mounted on the speetlite itself.
Fumanchewd 23 Jul 16, 11:25Post
I've been wanting to get into some baby photography as there is some good money and opportunity.......but I'm just too twisted I think.

I could only do this when mommy was at work, lol. I decided against using the black and white checkered keffiyeh I bought in Jordan.

Not professional quality, IMO but just a quick fun shoot.

Hahhaahahhaha!

I need to buy a real nice wicker bassinet I think.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jul 16, 18:38Post
{laugh} Those are excellent shots, looks like the little fella is enjoying some fun while Mom is away too {thumbsup}
A million great ideas...
vikkyvik 24 Jul 16, 02:35Post
Those are some seriously blue eyes....