You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : General Photography

Is It Worth It—60D Shutter?

Non-aviation photos, camera equipment and photography in general.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Jul 15, 18:27Post
So yesterday while hiking, my 60D's shutter just kind of pooped out. It goes up maybe 1/10 of the full-travel range and that's it. Some casual inspection revealed that it's not jammed, but the mechanism that flips it is barely working.

Is it worth sending it in to Canon to get it fixed? Should I just hold out for a new camera? Thoughts?

I am pretty bummed, as I've had the camera for 1.5 years, but it has under 9000 shutter actuations, and hasn't been through any abuse.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 08 Jul 15, 18:32Post
What's the warranty on it? 9000 clicks in less than 2 years seems extremely unreasonable for a breakage.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Jul 15, 18:47Post
mhodgson wrote:What's the warranty on it? 9000 clicks in less than 2 years seems extremely unreasonable for a breakage.

I believe I had the basic, 1-year warranty (I'm in the middle of a move, so it's packed away, but that's what I recall reading). A family member purchased at the same time and got the 3-year for the extra money.

I can't fathom why a shutter would toast itself at ~8,800 actuations. Just bad luck, I guess.
vikkyvik 08 Jul 15, 20:14Post
mhodgson wrote:9000 clicks in less than 2 years seems extremely unreasonable for a breakage.

Absolutely.

Whether I'd get it fixed or not would depend on the cost of the fix, the value of the camera, and my desire for and the cost of a new camera.

I would give Canon a call and see how much it would cost to get it fixed.

Lucas wrote:I can't fathom why a shutter would toast itself at ~8,800 actuations. Just bad luck, I guess.

Yeah, definitely sucks.

Now the more important question is why you've only put 9000 clicks on it in two years!!!
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 08 Jul 15, 20:35Post
Do you have an equivalent of our Sale of Goods Act?

In a nutshell, if you can demonstrate that the product was unfit for purpose (ie a shutter component breaking well before its expected life cycle) you can still claim even if a product is out of warranty. It can be a bit more complex as it needs to be examined independently, but under the circumstances if you bought that in the UK I'd expect it to be covered.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Jul 15, 20:38Post
vikkyvik wrote:
mhodgson wrote:9000 clicks in less than 2 years seems extremely unreasonable for a breakage.

Absolutely.

Whether I'd get it fixed or not would depend on the cost of the fix, the value of the camera, and my desire for and the cost of a new camera.

I would give Canon a call and see how much it would cost to get it fixed.

Lucas wrote:I can't fathom why a shutter would toast itself at ~8,800 actuations. Just bad luck, I guess.

Yeah, definitely sucks.

Now the more important question is why you've only put 9000 clicks on it in two years!!!

A year and a half was spent basically in solitary confinement (boot camp and then ATC academy then OJT!), so I didn't get much opportunity. Yesterday was the best lighting I'd ever seen in the Wind River Range...and the shutter went out on the third picture.

I'll give them a call. But upon further inspection, it looks like the mirror is what is broken? Like it only goes partially up? I can't figure it out. There is no damage, so why would the mirror get all wonky?

mhodgson, I'm going to chat with Canon, maybe there is some easy fix. Then I'll inquire further.
Boris (Founding Member) 08 Jul 15, 23:26Post
Did you buy it with a credit card?

A lot of them have automatic extended warranties.

So if it comes with one year, you automatically get two through the credit card company.

Edit: Google gave me this link:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card- ... s-1273.php
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Jul 15, 23:44Post
Boris wrote:Did you buy it with a credit card?

A lot of them have automatic extended warranties.

So if it comes with one year, you automatically get two through the credit card company.

Edit: Google gave me this link:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card- ... s-1273.php

Oooh, why yes I did. Thanks, Boris, I'll give it a look.
Fumanchewd 17 Jul 15, 03:36Post
I don't think Canon will give you an estimate over the phone just guessing what's wrong. Fill out a service request on their website, they give you a location to send it (nearest Canon repair center. In AZ mine is in LAX), they look at it, and then they tell you the cost. You give the green light or not.

Otherwise I think you have to take it to someone in town and hope they know what they are doing. Frankly, I wouldn't trust anyone but Canon for a problem like that but if you have nothing to lose and don't want to ship it, it might be ok.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Jul 15, 01:46Post
Fumanchewd wrote:I don't think Canon will give you an estimate over the phone just guessing what's wrong. Fill out a service request on their website, they give you a location to send it (nearest Canon repair center. In AZ mine is in LAX), they look at it, and then they tell you the cost. You give the green light or not.

Otherwise I think you have to take it to someone in town and hope they know what they are doing. Frankly, I wouldn't trust anyone but Canon for a problem like that but if you have nothing to lose and don't want to ship it, it might be ok.

You were correct, Fu. I just sent it to them. We'll see. Might just get a 70D instead. But really, less than 9000 clicks...sad day. :(
graphic 19 Jul 15, 22:23Post
Lucas wrote:
Fumanchewd wrote:I don't think Canon will give you an estimate over the phone just guessing what's wrong. Fill out a service request on their website, they give you a location to send it (nearest Canon repair center. In AZ mine is in LAX), they look at it, and then they tell you the cost. You give the green light or not.

You were correct, Fu. I just sent it to them. We'll see. Might just get a 70D instead. But really, less than 9000 clicks...sad day. :(

That is strange. with all the timelapse and planespotting and HDR I've done on my 20D I wouldn't be at all surprised if I'd fired the shutter over 100k times and it keeps on clicking.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 19 Jul 15, 22:31Post
Agreed; I've done over 1000 in a single weekend before now so 9000 does not seem in any way excessive - in fact I'd imagine there are professionals shooting many more in shorter spaces of time who wouldn't stand for a shutter only lasting 9000 uses!
vikkyvik 20 Jul 15, 03:39Post
mhodgson wrote:Agreed; I've done over 1000 in a single weekend before now so 9000 does not seem in any way excessive - in fact I'd imagine there are professionals shooting many more in shorter spaces of time who wouldn't stand for a shutter only lasting 9000 uses!

I took 771 shots in about 3 hours at the airport this evening. {boxed}
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Jul 15, 18:10Post
vikkyvik wrote:
I took 771 shots in about 3 hours at the airport this evening. {boxed}

I can't even imagine...wow! {boggled} {bugeye} So much time spent just reviewing! You're making me feel sick about this 60D COL!

graphic wrote:
That is strange. with all the timelapse and planespotting and HDR I've done on my 20D I wouldn't be at all surprised if I'd fired the shutter over 100k times and it keeps on clicking.

My 20D lasted for over 5 years and about a billion trillion shots. I think that my luck was just rotten here. There's always that one-in-a-million thing, and for me it just happened to be a bad one.

But it's with Canon now. I'll know shortly.
vikkyvik 20 Jul 15, 20:29Post
Lucas wrote:I can't even imagine...wow! So much time spent just reviewing! You're making me feel sick about this 60D COL!

Actually doesn't take me as long as you might think. I tend to take a lot of shots when it's cloudy/rainy/low-light, and I'm using low shutter speeds.

Also, with 24R currently closed, the 25s are seeing a LOT of traffic. I couldn't believe how many heavies I saw in a relatively short span.

Lucas wrote:My 20D lasted for over 5 years and about a billion trillion shots.

I'm impressed. You were shooting 6,341,958,396,753 shots per second for that five year span.

Lucas wrote:I think that my luck was just rotten here. There's always that one-in-a-million thing, and for me it just happened to be a bad one.

Yep, that's all it is. There are always going to be bad apples in the bunch. Unfortunate that you got one.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Jul 15, 00:53Post
Costs $580.59 to repair. No notice of what's actually wrong yet.

Which means I'm scrapping it. They can keep it.

This really blows. Right before my through-hike, too. {mad}
bhmbaglock 22 Jul 15, 13:30Post
Lucas wrote:Costs $580.59 to repair. No notice of what's actually wrong yet.

Which means I'm scrapping it. They can keep it.

This really blows. Right before my through-hike, too. {mad}

Raise hell, demand to speak to a supervisor. Whats's the worst that can happen? They might actually do the right thing if you make a little noise.
vikkyvik 22 Jul 15, 18:28Post
Lucas wrote:Costs $580.59 to repair. No notice of what's actually wrong yet.

How do they manage to come up with a price without knowing what's wrong? Or are they just assuming it'll be a shutter replacement?

bhmbaglock wrote:Raise hell, demand to speak to a supervisor. Whats's the worst that can happen? They might actually do the right thing if you make a little noise.

{check}
graphic 24 Jul 15, 19:35Post
You should definitely raise hell. You could let a high end camera sit in a closet for 5 years and the shutter ought to still make it to 10k clicks.