You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : General Photography

Used Canon 5D Mk 1 with Replaced Shutter

Non-aviation photos, camera equipment and photography in general.

vikkyvik 13 Jun 13, 19:03Post
Browsing Craigslist, as I'm prone to doing every so often. Found a couple listings for a 5D Mk 1 with a new shutter (not brand new, but with a few thousand clicks on it).

For $500, I'm thinking It might be a decent deal. Pros and cons versus my current 50D (which, by the way, I will likely still keep, at least for awhile):

Pros:
1. Better noise performance.
2. Wide-angle usage, as I'll get true 17mm, instead of 27mm with my 17-40. This may satisfy my desire for an ultra-wide-angle or fisheye.
3. Likely better pixel-to-pixel sharpness, due to reduced pixel density.

Cons:
1. Older processor (DIGIC II).
2. Slower frame rate - not a big deal, I never make use of the high-speed burst on my 50D anyway.
3. Smaller ISO range (50-3200, versus 100-12800, but I hardly ever shoot above 2500).
4. Less megapixels. Might actually be a pro, and is a minor con if anything.
5. Less range at the long end - 300mm instead of 480mm equiv. This is a major reason why I would still keep my 50D.

Anyone had any experience with shutter replacement? Or 5D Mk 1 in general? Anything I should look out for / be wary of?

Anyway, discuss. Or not. I kinda just wanted to write this down somewhere.
JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 13 Jun 13, 21:46Post
vikkyvik wrote:5. Less range at the long end - 300mm instead of 480mm equiv. This is a major reason why I would still keep my 50D.

That's just the crop factor. You're not magically getting a closer view of the subject by having a 1.6 sensor instead of a 1.0, just a more narrow frame.

vikkyvik wrote:Anyone had any experience with shutter replacement? Or 5D Mk 1 in general? Anything I should look out for / be wary of?

No experience with shutter replacement here but I do have a 5D original. If you have the money to burn or could use the camera (it's great for wide angle work) then it may be worth exploring. Also, having two DLSRs at the ready can really help if you're out & about shooting because you can switch immediately from one to the other without changing lenses.

Finally, I always like to say: GO FULL FRAME OR GO HOME! ;)
vikkyvik 13 Jun 13, 23:57Post
JeffSFO wrote:That's just the crop factor. You're not magically getting a closer view of the subject by having a 1.6 sensor instead of a 1.0, just a more narrow frame.

I know (and I've had this argument before :)) ). But 15 MP on a 1.6 sensor will likely give me more effective range than 12 MP on a full frame. If detail resolution per pixel were the same, then the crop sensor would give me 1.6 times the range. Obviously it isn't the same, but I'd wager it still works out in crop sensor's favor in terms of range.

To me, it's simply the inverse of what happens at the short end. I know I'm still technically shooting at 17mm on my 50D, but the full-frame will still create a wider-angle image.

JeffSFO wrote:Finally, I always like to say: GO FULL FRAME OR GO HOME!

That's the idea. :-) How do you find the dynamic range and noise compared to newer cameras?

Thanks for the response.