You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : General Photography

Photo Pirates

Non-aviation photos, camera equipment and photography in general.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 11 Apr 12, 14:09Post
They are out there. They publicly put themselves out there with statements like these:

ALL THE AVIATION PHOTOGRAPHERS ARE ILEGAL ...
ANY PHOTO BELONGS TO THE AIRLINES and NOT TO PHOTOGRAPHERS.....

NOBODY CAN TAKE A PICTURE FROM A PRIVATE PROPERTY ..
and SELL IT ..

IF YOU PHOTO AN EASYJET AIRBUS .... THE OWNER IS THE EASYJET .... AND NOT YOU

U N D E R S T A N D ????????????

Want to stop by and say hello?

https://www.facebook.com/StoptheDictato ... oCopyright

It is apparent that whomever put that page up, English isn't their primary language. They have no concept of the law. I am surprised FB lets them keep some of their stuff on there.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 11 Apr 12, 14:31Post
miamiair wrote:Want to stop by and say hello?

I did. Thank you.
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 11 Apr 12, 14:47Post
Queso wrote:I did. Thank you.

+1
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 11 Apr 12, 15:03Post
We'll see if that opening salvo gets a rise out of them. If it does, game on. {thumbsup} {mischief}
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Apr 12, 15:46Post
I'll play along . . . :)) {mischief}
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Coz 11 Apr 12, 16:42Post
Oh, this is fun! If you take a photo of something, that photo, its content, copyright, etc, is considered exclusively yours. The owner, if they agree to transfer any rights in writing is their option, can do so. The right of ownership to digital media is inherently assigned to the creator of the media.

A rule like the "Photo Pirates'" rule will end up in crap. How do I know? I've taken several courses in multimedia law. It pays off, too -- writing up a cease and desist letter threatening legal action usually does the trick.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 11 Apr 12, 17:06Post
The crap he is saying is like making a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge property of the City of San Francisco (or whatever entity owns the bridge). Or pictures of the Statue of Liberty property of the U.S. Government.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 11 Apr 12, 17:17Post
OK, so in his logic, how does a photo like this work:

Who owns the copyright - the owner of the foreground aircraft? Ryanair? Manchester Airport, since most of the photo is their land and buildings?
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 11 Apr 12, 17:27Post
mhodgson wrote:Who owns the copyright

Me.

I looked at it, therefore I should own the copyright.
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 11 Apr 12, 17:28Post
SRB had a couple of comments there - I had to rag him just a bit.....
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 11 Apr 12, 17:30Post
ORFflyer wrote:SRB had a couple of comments there - I had to rag him just a bit.....

Where?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 11 Apr 12, 17:45Post
miamiair wrote:Where?

There are 3 or 4 conversations on that page - I couldn't find the one most of NAS folks' were involved until after i made a slam or two against SRB and A-net. Look at all the conversations.....
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 11 Apr 12, 17:51Post
Here's a screenshot.....

screenshot.JPG
screenshot.JPG (248.29 KiB) Viewed 1747 times

Not great - but you can decipher it okay....
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 12 Apr 12, 20:25Post
My badge of honor!

srb1.jpg
srb1.jpg (78.02 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 12 Apr 12, 20:44Post
mhodgson wrote:OK, so in his logic, how does a photo like this work:

Who owns the copyright - the owner of the foreground aircraft? Ryanair? Manchester Airport, since most of the photo is their land and buildings?

The photo copyright is owned by you, and you alone.

Neither Ryanair nor Manchester Airport nor the owner of M-FRZN may use that photo without your approval.

There is a chance, however, that Ryanair or the Hawker owner might keep you from publishing and / or selling the photo. This depends on various factors, not least the legal regulation in the UK (which I don't know in this respect).

It's a bit easier when it comes to photos of people: if you take a photo of me in the street, then you own the copyright of the photo (i.e. I must not put it on my homepage without your approval), but you have to ask for my approval before publishing the photo.

I'm not sure if the same logic applies to objects, like aircraft.

I am fairly sure, however, that it does apply to trademark logos, like the Ryanair logo.

I do remember that there was an airline ordering a.net to not publish photos that show only part of the airline's logo, leading to a respective rule at a.net that, if a photo shows only parts of an aircraft, the logo must not be cut in half by the crop.

Tl;dr - the photo is yours, but others may prevent you from publishing it.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 12 Apr 12, 21:09Post
Stefan - it was more of an ironic question based on the idiot linked earlier in the post claiming the subject holds the copyright.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
bhmbaglock 12 Apr 12, 22:02Post
Queso wrote:My badge of honor!

srb1.jpg

How will kissing your ass sooth his sore pussy?
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 12 Apr 12, 22:31Post
mhodgson wrote:Stefan - it was more of an ironic question based on the idiot linked earlier in the post claiming the subject holds the copyright.

Sorry, I forgot my irony detector at home... :))

Still, despite his thoughts about copyright being nothing less than moronic (I strongly presume it's a troll account), it is indeed true that people (or items) being depicted in the photo may prevent you from publishing it.

Few people know that e.g. you need a license to publish photos of the illuminated Eiffel Tower. The light layout is protected, and the owners will pursue anybody trying to sell pictures of it.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 13 Apr 12, 13:20Post
Queso wrote:My badge of honor!

I got one too! :))

fb.JPG
fb.JPG (93.81 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Fumanchewd 13 Apr 12, 13:39Post
Ok, so stupid question.

If you put the watermark copywrite on it, is that all that is required or do you have to register it somewhere?
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
graphic 13 Apr 12, 15:50Post
Fumanchewd wrote:Ok, so stupid question.

If you put the watermark copywrite on it, is that all that is required or do you have to register it somewhere?

Technically you don't even have to do that. You can register, but your rights are protected once you publish it*

*within the terms of service of whatever website you upload to