You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Social

Traveling In The Time Of The Corona Virus

Arrange meetings, spotting trips and mutual flying activities here.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 09 Mar 20, 11:14Post
It would be interesting to read how this Corona virus affects our travels.

Flying this afternoon to BOS, Connecting to S4 BOS-PDL-LIS. Returning on Friday direct LIS-MIA.

Details to follow.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Mar 20, 12:34Post
Been waiting for prices to crash so I can rack up some flights. It hasn't happened; instead, Finnair have cancelled loads of flights, including many domestic.

An upcoming work trip hangs in the balance. This was originally meant to happen in January, much dithering from the supplier of critical hardware, now said supplier is unable to install said hardware despite it being at the customer site. Customer country won't let Japanese engineer in. So we're looking for ways to decouple our visit from the supposedly critical hardware, while hoping we'll still be allowed into the country next month...
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
CentrelinePhoto 09 Mar 20, 15:05Post
My other half and I are booked to fly MAN-CPH next Friday. I'm due to come back on the Monday, her return flight from AAR to LGW later that week is one of many EZY services that have been cancelled due to a drop in demand for travel. I would not be surprised if either our outbound or my return leg suffer the same fate.

Her employer is now talking about putting her (plus two other teachers and four eight year olds) on a RYR flight to STN late on Friday. I'm taking bets on that flight being cancelled too.

Oh, and how about a thread entitled "Being A Travel Agent In The Time Of The Corona Virus"? {boggled} {sick}
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 09 Mar 20, 15:36Post
At DEN yesterday, I expected to see mass hysteria. This is a town, after all, that when there's more than 3" of snow forecast people make a run on the local grocery and convenience stores for bread and milk. Seriously. Every time.

Only saw one person wearing a mask. Only one person in the rows within my eyesight on the plane availed himself of the sani-wipes the crew offered up.

The flight wasn't full, however, like all of my previous DEN-ABQ runs had been but that could be due to it being an 0800 departure on a Sunday morning too.
Make Orwell fiction again.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 09 Mar 20, 15:52Post
MRSANCFlyer just booked UA ORD-MCO/MCO-ORD return for $95. We just finished ORD-HNL/HNL-ORD for $2200 (Each) in F. Can't complain.

CANCELLED.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Yokes 10 Mar 20, 08:51Post
Just back from my Hongkong trip. Originally booked with Air China via PEK and back from Taipei via PVG. Booked another flight on Hongkong Airlines to TPE. But as no foreigner is allowed to enter Taiwan when you have been to China or Hongkong before, I had to change plans. Also the flights PEK-HKG and PVG - FRA were cancelled. Air China offered full refund so I booked another flights with BA via LHR for a very good price only 3 weeks before. BA cancelled one of two daily flights to HKG so the A380 was not that empty. On arrival they take your temperature and you have to fill out a form where the ask if you have been to Mainland China, South Korea or Italy before. Also if you have any symptoms of Corona. Hongkong airport is terrifying quite these days. Maybe 10 flights an hour. Almost the half fleet of Cathay Pacific and Hongkong Airlines is stored there. It looks more like Victorville than one of the biggest airports. (pictures will follow) In the city everyone is wearing a mask (which is useless in my opinion) and they also take your temperature when entering your hotel. But otherwise life is quite normal there.
airtrainer 10 Mar 20, 09:42Post
Currently enjoying the playas of Lanzarote. Flight was full, hotel is likely full as well (people had to queue at the restaurant yesterday evening).

Still have a confirmed reservation for Italy at the end of the month, guess I will have an email from FR soon. They did however cancelled a trip to Croatia in may (but some flights are still bookable).

I particularly love how the news keep on saying DO NOT PANIC 300 times a day. Thing is, I have kind of OCD that lead me to wash my hands often since I am a kid, and working in food industry it's mandatory that I sanitize everything at work. So no big deal with the situation.

Funny thing, I've been using hand gel for more than 15 years already, in the early 2000s even some pharmacists were giving round eyes when asked for some, now it seem to be the absolute must-have item for 2020 {laugh}
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 10 Mar 20, 10:26Post
So yeah, not going to Israel.

Well, I can, and I need to, but being put in quarantine for 14 days on arrival at my own (or my employer's) expense doesn't seem like much fun.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 10 Mar 20, 11:02Post
Still booked to travel to Kiev and Chernobyl next week - no rumblings yet about travel being cancelled to those destinations
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
tangoscar 10 Mar 20, 22:42Post
Wife, our 2 kids and myself are booked on DLH HAJ-FRA-JFK on March 27. So far so good, but wouldn't be surprised if we get the "you've been chopped" notification at any point during the next two weeks ...

My employer has already restricted corporate travel to the absolute minimum.
HT-ETNW 11 Mar 20, 20:46Post
tangoscar wrote:My employer has already restricted corporate travel to the absolute minimum.

Same here.
Not that I have been doing any business travel in recent years, last company-internal email I saw mandated personal approval from Divisional Vice President for business travel abroad. For some destination countries this also applies to private travel.

Bottom line is that I have shelved any plans for travel for the foreseeable future. Fortunately I had not booked anything so far.
Under these circumstances I am looking forward to finalise planning for the MAN-meeting.
-HT
Use your time wisely; remember that today is the first day of the rest of your life.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 12 Mar 20, 01:02Post
Flight from ABQ to DEN was full, as per the usual. Only two people with masks and I only saw one person wiping down a seat & tray table. Cabin crew seemed more concerned over informing

My next trip is on United next week and there is a travel waiver in effect. Bookings made between March 3rd and 31st can be changed for free over the next 12 months. Change fees are also waived for tickets with travel dates of March 9 through April 30. Applies to domestic and international flights.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Mar 20, 01:55Post
Travel from Europe is banned. Americans and green card holders will be allowed repatriation. Cargo also apparently banned.

NBA suspended its season.

Tom Hanks has coronavirus.

How will $BA do tomorrow?

Stock market bloodbath? Down 771 afterhours last I looked.
DXing 12 Mar 20, 09:51Post
mhodgson wrote:Still booked to travel to Kiev and Chernobyl next week - no rumblings yet about travel being cancelled to those destinations

Hmmm... radiation or virus, interesting choice. Of course there is the possibility that the radiation will kill the virus and thus it's a win win. ;) :))

Lucas wrote:Travel from Europe is banned. Americans and green card holders will be allowed repatriation. Cargo also apparently banned.

Cargo by itself is not banned. A human carrying cargo is, although the cargo will be admitted.

Lucas wrote:NBA suspended its season.

{bored} If a tree falls..

Lucas wrote:Tom Hanks has coronavirus.

He and his wife are in Australia filming. His son says neither of them even feel sick.

My daughter and I went to Cape Town last week. We were screened for temperature and asked travel related questions upon our arrival in CPT. On the way back into the U.S., nothing. No temperature screen and only asked if we had anything to declare.

The following is a general statement, not aimed at you Lucas. So far, IMO, the absolute hysteria about this disease is far worse than the disease itself. Just goes to show social media, and the media in general, can help to inflame what might be an actually normal virus, not much worse than the ordinary flu. Instead, you would think people are dropping dead in the streets by the hundreds. Just ridiculous.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Mar 20, 11:11Post
Yeah, the speech the POTUS gave wasn't accurate in the deetz. I'm absolutely wrecked that my vacation for this month was canceled. The prices...I want the prices.
DXing 12 Mar 20, 11:41Post
miamiair wrote:It would be interesting to read how this Corona virus affects our travels.

Flying this afternoon to BOS, Connecting to S4 BOS-PDL-LIS. Returning on Friday direct LIS-MIA.

Details to follow.

So are you now stuck in LIS?

I am flying back to work this morning. Flight is about half full. Still #12 on the F upgrade list though. Can't complain, 4 of the segments were positive space on this trip, the other 3 space available and I got 2 out 3, which according to Meatloaf...ain't bad!
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 12 Mar 20, 14:53Post
What a mess. Currently on BA507 from LIS to LHR. AA39 tomorrow. Last seats available in J. You don't want to know how much. LIS is fairly empty, although a lot of lines and no one has clear, accurate information. What normally takes 25-35 minutes for the emigration queue, was no more than a minute. I was told in the queue for TAP that tomorrow's flight would be cancelled. A travel agent friend made a reservation on UA, when the check in didn't work, improvise. Calling had un-godly wait times; mrsmiamiair sprung into action and got a reservation on AA. I'll be happy when I get home tomorrow.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 14 Mar 20, 12:25Post
mhodgson wrote:Still booked to travel to Kiev and Chernobyl next week - no rumblings yet about travel being cancelled to those destinations

And then yesterday afternoon, Ukraine announced they were closing the border to all foreign visitors.

Frustratingly, Ryanair haven't yet cancelled the flight so we can't get a refund on it even though there is absolutely no way we can travel.
airtrainer 14 Mar 20, 18:49Post
mhodgson wrote:Frustratingly, Ryanair haven't yet cancelled the flight so we can't get a refund on it even though there is absolutely no way we can travel.

You'll likely receive an email soon, guess they're having headaches for the moment with the numbers of cancallations. Process for the refund is very easy, just two clicks in the app and you're done.
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Mar 20, 00:06Post
I ended up being exposed two days ago; a dude collapsed. Wrong place at the wrong time.

I am banned from travel to/from the US for 60 days.

3 days ago, a really pretty gal found my website looking for hikes in the CPW and reached out to me, asking if I'd like to go on a date.
Code: Select all
COVID-19
  ○
く|)へ
  〉
 ̄ ̄┗┓          Me just getting a date with lady hiker.
     ┗┓     ヾ○シ
        ┗┓  ヘ/    
           ┗┓ノ
          ┗┓
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 15 Mar 20, 03:31Post
My flight tomorrow is nearly full, which I find mildly surprising. In a post about on FB, I joked it was because people are leaving in search of toilet paper.

Or, maybe, I wish I were joking.

Lucas wrote:I am banned from travel to/from the US for 60 days.

Dang. Given where I work, I'm surprised we haven't been told it'd be best for us to stay put.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 15 Mar 20, 17:02Post
airtrainer wrote:
mhodgson wrote:Frustratingly, Ryanair haven't yet cancelled the flight so we can't get a refund on it even though there is absolutely no way we can travel.

You'll likely receive an email soon, guess they're having headaches for the moment with the numbers of cancallations. Process for the refund is very easy, just two clicks in the app and you're done.

Yeah, got it last night - think they were waiting for the ban to take effect but its all sorted now.

Sadly it's hardly as though I can use my refund for anything else this week.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Mar 20, 19:42Post
ShyFlyer wrote:My flight tomorrow is nearly full, which I find mildly surprising. In a post about on FB, I joked it was because people are leaving in search of toilet paper.

Or, maybe, I wish I were joking.

Lucas wrote:I am banned from travel to/from the US for 60 days.

Dang. Given where I work, I'm surprised we haven't been told it'd be best for us to stay put.

I have no clue where they pulled the 60-day stipulation from. I think they just want to let us all get it and see what remains once it's burned through.

Haven't frequencies dropped into the abyss?
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 16 Mar 20, 02:37Post
A friend's company just had their insurance company send out an email stating if they were to travel on vacation and get sick with COVID19, they will not cover any medical bills.

How is that even legal?
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 16 Mar 20, 06:55Post
We've all been told to work from home where possible, but it's far from clear what our employer's liability insurance covers. If I burn myself making coffee in the office, covered. At home, likely not covered, even if I'm working. Still waiting for answers from HR on this.