You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Social

Traveling In The Time Of The Corona Virus

Arrange meetings, spotting trips and mutual flying activities here.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 16 Mar 20, 17:58Post
Are any of our members currently traveling?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 16 Mar 20, 19:09Post
Shy flew from DEN to COD yesterday.

I flew MCO-SLC-BIL 8 days ago. Unfortunately I was sicker than hell when doing so...they let me fly. Doc here said negative on COVID19...not sure I believe that now but...
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
airtrainer 16 Mar 20, 19:40Post
miamiair wrote:Are any of our members currently traveling?

Nope. Flew back from MAD on thursday, my next flight is scheduled for end of april to France... if I can take it.
Grounded...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Mar 20, 20:28Post
Nope. Was due in TLS on Thursday but that is a no-go.

There is a huge amount of GA activity around here at the moment, largely due to bored commercial pilots dusting off their summer toys, so I am hoping to talk my way onto a few interesting routes around the UK (lockdowns permitting).
A million great ideas...
CentrelinePhoto 16 Mar 20, 21:10Post
CentrelinePhoto wrote:My other half and I are booked to fly MAN-CPH next Friday. I'm due to come back on the Monday, her return flight from AAR to LGW later that week is one of many EZY services that have been cancelled due to a drop in demand for travel. I would not be surprised if either our outbound or my return leg suffer the same fate.

Her employer is now talking about putting her (plus two other teachers and four eight year olds) on a RYR flight to STN late on Friday. I'm taking bets on that flight being cancelled too.

Oh, and how about a thread entitled "Being A Travel Agent In The Time Of The Corona Virus"? {boggled} {sick}

It's incredible to think how things have moved on in the week since I posted this. I mean, I actually still thought I'd be taking the trip then.

And, as for the Being A Travel Agent bit, I'm busy beyond belief but wondering if I'll even have a job in the not too distant future. How f***ed up is that?
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
airtrainer 16 Mar 20, 21:28Post
That really suck, hope everything will end soon and well Chris.
Grounded...
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Mar 20, 23:31Post
CentrelinePhoto wrote:It's incredible to think how things have moved on in the week since I posted this. I mean, I actually still thought I'd be taking the trip then.

Same - only the evening before Ukraine announced they were closing their borders I was talking with one of the friends I was doing the trip with, and we were both confident it was going to go ahead!

Can't imagine how tough it is for a travel agent Chris. I'd love to be using the refunded money on an alternative trip this week but that isn't happening. As soon as things start being logical again I intend to book a fair few trips to try and support the industry!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Mar 20, 07:39Post
mhodgson wrote:As soon as things start being logical again I intend to book a fair few trips to try and support the industry!

Same here! HEL-OUL is one of the handful of routes Finnair has left.

Not to mention that I need 46 flights a year to maintain my status, and I was behind even before this hit!

There are flights to LHR, but I'm not allowed to go on them. At least, Finland won't let me back in if I do.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Caroline 17 Mar 20, 20:46Post
CentrelinePhoto wrote:And, as for the Being A Travel Agent bit, I'm busy beyond belief but wondering if I'll even have a job in the not too distant future. How f***ed up is that?

I totally get you there. I work in hospitality and was let go today. So yeah, it's pretty f*** up. I'm not entirely surprised but I'm surprised it went so quick. I mean we're just at the beginning.

Cheers Lina
airtrainer 17 Mar 20, 22:05Post
Caroline wrote:I totally get you there. I work in hospitality and was let go today. So yeah, it's pretty f*** up. I'm not entirely surprised but I'm surprised it went so quick. I mean we're just at the beginning.

Oh damn, hope it's only temporary ? Take care my friend.
Grounded...
Yokes 18 Mar 20, 08:06Post
My company is closing on Friday for min two weeks. Everyone has to stay at home.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 19 Mar 20, 03:45Post
GQfluffy wrote:Shy flew from DEN to COD yesterday.

Yep! DEN-COD on Sunday was nearly full, only a couple of seats empty. Very few mask-wearing people noted and those who were adorned as such were youngish hipster like folk.

There were track issues with the airport train and the crowds waiting for the trains were not one bit concerned with "social distancing" even though several in the crowded mentioned it. No one seemed really that phased by it all.

COD-DEN on Tuesday was maybe 70% full.

Overall impression of the trip was that if one hadn't been paying attention to the news likely wouldn't have noticed much difference from "normal" save the big bottles of hand sanitizers at each gate podium.

It is noteworthy that DEN recently announced that they have disabled the hand drying blowers in the restrooms. The paper towel dispensers are now your only option.
Make Orwell fiction again.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 19 Mar 20, 04:26Post
Just got an email from WN that modifications to my trip to ABQ had been made. Only the return leg has been changed. I'll leave earlier in the afternoon, so no real major impact to my plans.

Looking over the available flights for that time period, though, it looks like WN has reduced the DEN-ABQ roundtrips from 3/day to 2/day.

This is significant as these flights, in my experience, have almost always been full.
Make Orwell fiction again.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Mar 20, 08:51Post
Well, have to go to Florida twice in the next several months, one trip - next month - will be completed with the NBAFDT because airlines are hosed at the moment. We'll see about the November trip. Scheduled for Alaska in August, just a three day jaunt - we'll see how that works out. Booked on AA from ORD-DFW-ANC/ANC-ORD.

As they used to tell me in a previous life, Stand By to Stand By . . . . {boxed}
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
PA110 (Founding Member) 19 Mar 20, 13:41Post
GQfluffy wrote:A friend's company just had their insurance company send out an email stating if they were to travel on vacation and get sick with COVID19, they will not cover any medical bills.

How is that even legal?

This may be a pre-emptive move on their part to protect themselves financially. If everyone is being advised to stay home, but willingly disregards that advice, insurance companies are looking for ways to limit liability. While not entirely equivalent, you can invalidate some types of travel insurance by undertaking acts deemed intentionally risky.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 20 Mar 20, 02:09Post
I'm grounded, which is a weird feeling. I've been on 2-4 planes a week and now down to 0. It's strange to have to unpack a suitcase and not pack it 4 days later.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 20 Mar 20, 11:59Post
Consider it a blessing.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
HT-ETNW 20 Mar 20, 16:07Post
It is not a option to go on any travel right now.
Company has stopped all international travel since long, and even domestic business travel is banned.

Anybody going onto private travel abroad (if being able at all) is facing a 15-day "stay off our premises-quarantine" if he/she has visited a long list of countries. If people are unfortunate enough to not being able to use "home office" they need to take days-off during this quarantine.
-HT
Use your time wisely; remember that today is the first day of the rest of your life.
CentrelinePhoto 21 Mar 20, 20:20Post
Caroline wrote:I totally get you there. I work in hospitality and was let go today. So yeah, it's pretty f*** up. I'm not entirely surprised but I'm surprised it went so quick. I mean we're just at the beginning.

Cheers Lina

Oh, Lina, I'm so sorry to hear that. At least I'm getting paid to sort this shit out.
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
DXing 21 Mar 20, 21:47Post
Flew ORDCLE last Tuesday. Maybe 20 people on a 737-700. Drove back.
Here in Illinois the Governor issued a shelter in place order yesterday. Unbelievable. 5 dead in Chicago....that would be a pretty good weekend at any time of the year when talking death by gunfire in this town. I have to wonder what the people downstate are thinking. Fortunately the highways and airports remain open so there is every chance I can escape back to Ohio next weekend.

My wife works retail and her store closed Monday for ostensibly 2 weeks. Since she is full time they will pay her out of her vacation bank but I would be highly surprised if the store reopened on time. One caveat, if she travels by plane/train/or bus the company will require she self quarantine for 2 weeks at her own expense.

Caroline wrote:
CentrelinePhoto wrote:And, as for the Being A Travel Agent bit, I'm busy beyond belief but wondering if I'll even have a job in the not too distant future. How f***ed up is that?

I totally get you there. I work in hospitality and was let go today. So yeah, it's pretty f*** up. I'm not entirely surprised but I'm surprised it went so quick. I mean we're just at the beginning.

Cheers Lina

Yep, just amazing how fast it all came about. Not a month ago we were talking about having a record year financially. Now I am packing up the apartment in Chicago. Been waffling on whether to just retire or gut it out. Going to take it day by day. Right now the next big milestone will be what the government bailout looks like and when it will arrive. If it doesn't happen this week, I expect some major layoffs.

I am so glad my daughter and I got that last trip in to CPT. It is looking like that will be the bright spot travel wise for the both of us for the rest of the year.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
airtrainer 24 Mar 20, 00:23Post
Of course it can change, and surely will, but here's a list of Airlines policies regarding the situation.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/a ... cial+march
Grounded...
md88dawg 29 Mar 20, 04:31Post
Seen on a friend's FB wall...

"My last flight was 3 weeks ago...

In Frequent Flier time...

It's been 84 years."

How well that feeling is resonating with me! {vsad}
DXing 29 Mar 20, 19:19Post
Traveled CLE to ORD this morning. They had to open the TSA precheck line just for me. Don't I feel special! 16 people on a 156 seat aircraft. Seeing lots of parked business jets so corporate flying must be down as well.

Read today that Rhode Island State troopers are stopping cars on I95 with New York plates and asking for a destination. If it's in State they want an address and tell the occupants they must self quarantine for 2 weeks. State National Guard is checking up on addresses to see if folks are there. Fine and/or arrest if they're not. Governor of New York is saying his State will sue if it continues.

Florida has already told New Yorkers they're not welcome. This could get ugly.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?