You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Social

Trips Planned for 2020

Arrange meetings, spotting trips and mutual flying activities here.

DXing 22 Feb 20, 00:44Post
DXing wrote:January
9th ORD/SLC
10th SLC/ORD
Yearly route qualification ride. No real reason for SLC other than I've never been there before. Be there on Thursday night so I think I will check out the free Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearsal.

Trip to Yosemite was cancelled. Cloudy weather would preclude seeing the firefall so not much use in going. Maybe next year....Still on tap....

March
1st to 2nd IAH/EWR/CPT
7th CPT/EWR/IAH
This is the culmination of my daughters United 100 award. Never been to South Africa before so I am looking forward to this trip.

After that maybe a trip to Scotland but that will probably be about it. Sticking close to home this year to finish a number of projects around the house.
[/quote]
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
airtrainer 06 Mar 20, 22:43Post
So I was expecting to receive an email from FR cancelling my upcoming flight to PSA, but they instead contacted me to inform that they had cancelled my flight to ZAD in may. Strangely enough, Croatia is not yet on their list of restricted countries, and there are still flights to ZAD bookable at the same dates minus one day... at 3 times the price {redflag}
Grounded...
DXing 07 Mar 20, 05:28Post
Currently in South Africa. When we arrived our temperature was taken before customs but after that no particular precautions were evident. 2 days after our arrival the first in country case of covid-19 was announced. Next day folks taking tickets at several attractions around CPT were wearing masks. On the radio driving back from game preserve doctor being interviewed was on top of it. Masks are fairly inefficient, better off packing hand sanitizer and keeping your hands away from your face when out in public in general.

We fly back to the States tonight. Seat map shows J is full so this flight is not suffering. Be interesting to see what changes there are upon arrival in the States.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
tangoscar 07 Mar 20, 19:33Post
Update:

February
DUS-MAD IB A321 {check}
MAD-DUS IB A320 {check}

March
HAJ-FRA LH A319
FRA-JFK LH A346

April
BDL-BWI WN 737
BWI-CHS WN 737
MYR-BDL NK A320
CentrelinePhoto 08 Mar 20, 20:11Post
Overnight stay in Belfast next week at the invitation of Eastern Airways. Taking their new ERJ-145 service from Teesside to George Best Airport.
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 09 Mar 20, 10:34Post
AA ORD-MCO/MCO-ORD on 3/13 - 3/15 Wedding plans for the nephew.

And AS ORD-PDX-ANC/ANC-ORD 3/25 - 3/29 for drivers license renewal . . . just me. . . PITA, but necessary. Must be present to win.

EDIT: AA 399 ORD-ANC/ANC-ORD. 8/7 - 8/13. A321, usual seat, 1A.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 11 Mar 20, 19:01Post
ANCFlyer wrote:AA ORD-MCO/MCO-ORD on 3/13 - 3/15 Wedding plans for the nephew.

Given yes, it's been 5 years since I've been to MCO but the amount of work they're doing south of Terminal B... {bugeye}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
CentrelinePhoto 11 Mar 20, 19:56Post
CentrelinePhoto wrote:Overnight stay in Belfast next week at the invitation of Eastern Airways. Taking their new ERJ-145 service from Teesside to George Best Airport.

Guess what...yep, cancelled {frown}
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
airtrainer 12 Mar 20, 07:52Post
JANUARY
CRL-VIE OE
BTS-CRL FR
BRU-MAD IB (A346)
MAD-BRU FR

FEBRUARY
BRU-LIS FR
LIS-BRU FR

MARCH
CRL-ACE FR
ACE-MAD FR
MAD-BRU FR
CRL-PSA FR
PSA-CRL FR

MAY
CRL-ZAD FR
ZAD-CRL FR

JUNE
BRU-GVA U2
GVA-TIA EZS
TIA-GVA EZS
BSL-BRU U2

JULY
CRL-WMI FR
WMI-CRL FR

NOVEMBER
CDG-CAN CZ
CAN-CHC CZ
CHC-CAN CZ
CAN-SXY CZ
SXY-LHR CZ
LHR-CDG AF
Grounded...
tangoscar 18 Mar 20, 20:28Post
Update:

February
DUS-MAD IB A321 {check}
MAD-DUS IB A320 {check}

March -> changed to June
HAJ-FRA LH A319
FRA-JFK LH A346 A380

April
BDL-BWI WN 737 -> thumbs up for SWA's cx policy
BWI-CHS WN 737
MYR-BDL NK A320 -> travel funds credit requested/pending

Still trying to reach KLM over MrsTangOscar's and kids' flights from JFK to AMS in April ... on the website it says "ALL" flights can be changed, but when trying do so a notification pops up that this booking can't be changed. Haven't been able to get through via phone yet and they still haven't responded to a Whatsapp message I have sent almost a week ago. So far a disappointing experience with KLM ...
airtrainer 30 Mar 20, 17:43Post
Forgot to add two flights to the list last time I updated it, well no surprise the trip is now cancelled...

APRIL
CRL-EGC FR
EGC-CRL FR
Grounded...
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 31 Mar 20, 15:14Post
Completed:
DEN-ABQ-DEN via WN (B737) in March. {check}
DEN-COD-DEN via UA (E145) in March. {check}

Upcoming:
DEN-ABQ-DEN via WN (B737) in May
DEN-ABQ-DEN via UA (A319) in November

I'm leaning heavily on canceling the May DEN-ABQ flight and driving instead, depending on restrictions, virus hysteria, etc. I wait and see and make a final determination in a few weeks.

So far, WN has only slightly modified that trip moving me to an earlier flight on the return leg.
Make Orwell fiction again.
DXing 05 Apr 20, 18:42Post
ANCFlyer wrote:
And AS ORD-PDX-ANC/ANC-ORD 3/25 - 3/29 for drivers license renewal . . . just me. . . PITA, but necessary. Must be present to win.

Did you still make this trip?

I'm glad I got the South African trip in. I moved the rest of my vacation forward and am now hunkered down in Cleveland with the wife for the rest of the month and into May. It may extend to forever if I decide to retire.
md88dawg 10 Apr 20, 03:51Post
Hopefully I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this will be a short thread for 2020. {vsad} I cannot wait for a NAS reunion after this is all over with (hopefully sooner than later). Stay safe, everyone! {thumbsup}
Yokes 17 Apr 20, 07:53Post
Next flights are canceled and moved to august. Lets hope for the best.

MARCH
FRA-PEK CA B748
PEK-HKG CA A321

HKG-TPE HX A332

TPE-PVG CA A333
PVG-FRA CA A350

FRA-LHR BA A321N
LHR-HKG BA A380

HKG-LHR BA A380
LHR-FRA BA A319

MAY
DUS-LHR BA A321N
LHR-DUS BA A320

CGN-BGY FR B738

JUNE
BGY-CGN FR B738

AUGUST
DUS-LHR BA A319
LHR-DUS BA A321N

SEPTEMBER
DUS-PMI OE A320
PMI-DUS OE A320
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 17 Apr 20, 13:26Post
Completed:
DEN-ABQ-DEN via WN (B737) in March. {check}
DEN-COD-DEN via UA (E145) in March. {check}

Upcoming:
DEN-ABQ-DEN via UA (A319) in November

Cancelled:
DEN-ABQ-DEN via WN (B737) in May.

While there aren't any "real" travel restrictions in place, I don't feel comfortable traveling at the moment since my family members whom I'd be going to see are in the "high risk" category and I feel it's nearly inevitable that I'm going to contract COVID due to my job.
Make Orwell fiction again.
airtrainer 04 Jun 20, 09:08Post
JANUARY
CRL-VIE OE
BTS-CRL FR
BRU-MAD IB (A346)
MAD-BRU FR

FEBRUARY
BRU-LIS FR
LIS-BRU FR

MARCH
CRL-ACE FR
ACE-MAD FR
MAD-BRU FR
CRL-PSA FR
PSA-CRL FR

APRIL
CRL-EGC FR
EGC-CRL FR

MAY
CRL-ZAD FR
ZAD-CRL FR

JUNE
BRU-GVA U2
GVA-TIA EZS
TIA-GVA EZS
BSL-BRU U2

JULY
CRL-WMI FR
WMI-CRL FR

NOVEMBER
CDG-CAN CZ
CAN-CHC CZ
CHC-CAN CZ
CAN-SXY CZ
SXY-LHR CZ
LHR-CDG AF
Grounded...
Yokes 09 Jul 20, 06:40Post
The next attempt:

MARCH
FRA-PEK CA B748
PEK-HKG CA A321
HKG-TPE HX A332

TPE-PVG CA A333
PVG-FRA CA A350

FRA-LHR BA A321N
LHR-HKG BA A380

HKG-LHR BA A380
LHR-FRA BA A319

MAY
DUS-LHR BA A321N
LHR-DUS BA A320

CGN-BGY FR B738

JUNE
BGY-CGN FR B738

AUGUST
DUS-LHR BA A319
LHR-DUS BA A321N

SEPTEMBER
DUS-PMI OE A320
PMI-DUS OE A320

DUS-LHR BA A319
LHR-DUS BA A321N
tangoscar 21 Jul 20, 21:32Post
Update:

February
DUS-MAD IB A321 {check}
MAD-DUS IB A320 {check}

March -> changed to June
HAJ-FRA LH A319
FRA-JFK LH A380

April
BDL-BWI WN 737
BWI-CHS WN 737
MYR-BDL NK A320

August
HAJ-FRA LH E190
FRA-MEX LH 748
MEX-CUN Y4 A320

September
CUN-BWI WN 737
BWI-BDL WN 737
DXing 17 Aug 20, 00:44Post
Unplanned pop up trip to D.C. on family business. First time flying since early March. Face masks a requirement anywhere in the CLE airport except if you were actively eating or drinking. But on the positive side we sailed thru security. In the food court the restaurants and coffee shops were open. Out on the concourse it was hit and miss on what was open. The convenience stands were open.

Flight was only half full so plenty of distancing. Another change, a welcome one, boarding was back of the plane to the front by row number call out. It made things go so much more smoothly. Now if there were only a way to get people seated in the back take their bag back with them instead of loading up the first available overhead in coach.

Since we were boarded up 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure, permission asked and given to leave 10 early. The flight was smooth and we arrived at IAD 20 minutes early. Deplaning was done the in the same fashion as boarding. Front of the plane, the 5 rows called at a time. Once they were all off the next 5 rows were called.

IAD appeared pretty closed down. Sad to see a number of 777's with tire boots and engine covers on parked off to the side. No problems exiting the airport and the rental car clerk said their bookings had doubled over the next month so a positive sign.

All in all not a bad trip down. Hopefully the trip back will go just as smoothly.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 17 Aug 20, 15:07Post
DXing wrote:Deplaning was done the in the same fashion as boarding. Front of the plane, the 5 rows called at a time. Once they were all off the next 5 rows were called.

I'd be willing to bet serious money de-planning went at the same 'speed' or even quicker this way...instead of the Pickett's Charge method. {facepalm}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 17 Aug 20, 15:28Post
We drove out to Florida's west coast for a "Vacation." Masks required in some establishments. All servers were wearing them.

Hotels do not make up the rooms anymore. You call and ask for what you need and it is dropped off in a bag at your front door. Didn't see a drop in pricing though. Half of the resort's restaurants were closed.

We stayed in Captiva, at the South Seas Resort, which is the the northern-most tip of the island. The main drag runs south to Sanibel Island. To get anywhere in Sanibel, it will take you half an hour to forty-five minutes. 20, 25, and 30 mph speed limits, make any journey like a Mexican funeral procession with one set of jumper cables.

Weather was great, with some nice afternoon thunder bumpers. Early morning walkabouts had some nice light shows off in the distance. The dolphins were cool to watch at their morning buffet.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Aug 20, 19:36Post
Just booked another weekend in Helsinki for next month.

After having no choice other than the ATR for several months, with a bonus E190 on my last trip, my first reaction on seeing an A320 seat-map:

"Cool! Wide-body!"

{crazy} I dread to think what's going to happen when I get on an actual wide-body again.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 17 Aug 20, 21:29Post
Trip back from IAD to CLE went as smoothly as the trip in. IAD was bit busier. A number of families flying and some business types as well. This time it was a plus size Barbie Jet E170. It didn't smell like it had been fumigated like the 737 the day before did but then I don't think it was the first flight of the day for the plane either.

I did notice, but was still not with it mentally enough to snap a picture of it, an Air France A319 or 320 sitting at a gate. Wasn't going anywhere, surrounded by cones and the jetway was back. Seemed strange, on the way to storage or transfer? Long way to go for storage.

Boarding was done the same and went quickly. Flight was about 80% full but no delays. Off the gate 10 early and once underway taxi out was quick and no delay at the runway. Flight was smooth and only event was that it seemed like there was a delay on the start of the descent to the start of the approach. As we passed over downtown I was thinking that this pilot was going to have to lose quite a bit of altitude and I was looking forward to how he would do that without building up energy in the process. Then we broke left and did a 180 around the steel mills just south of downtown. First time I've ever done that. At the end of the 180 he had lost just about everything he needed to and speed was still acceptable. Approach was stabilized but the engines but I didn't hear the engines come out of flight idle until a mile out from the runway. One of the smoothest touchdowns ever, no reversers just a smooth deceleration to turn off.

Getting off the plane was the same as boarding. I was going to ask the pilots about the approach but the cockpit door was still shut. I would say covid protocol but the door was open until just before they closed the main cabin door at departure. CLE airport was busier than on Sunday as well. Same mix of families and some business types. All in all not a bad trip.

GQfluffy wrote:I'd be willing to bet serious money de-planning went at the same 'speed' or even quicker this way...instead of the Pickett's Charge method.

It did. Only one person broke ranks and got up before their aisle was called.
DXing 17 Aug 20, 22:34Post
DXing wrote:Then we broke left and did a 180 around the steel mills just south of downtown. First time I've ever done that. At the end of the 180 he had lost just about everything he needed to and speed was still acceptable

Bold should read 360. Or 2 180's. {silly}