You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Social

Trips Planned for 2020

Arrange meetings, spotting trips and mutual flying activities here.

tangoscar 29 Dec 19, 19:13Post
Not much planned yet, mainly because of moving back to the US end of Q1 ...

February
DUS-MAD IB
MAD-DUS IB

March
HAJ-FRA LH
FRA-JFK LH (A340-600)
DXing 01 Jan 20, 15:14Post
January
9th ORD/SLC
10th SLC/ORD
Yearly route qualification ride. No real reason for SLC other than I've never been there before. Be there on Thursday night so I think I will check out the free Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearsal.

March
1st to 2nd IAH/EWR/CPT
7th CPT/EWR/IAH
This is the culmination of my daughters United 100 award. Never been to South Africa before so I am looking forward to this trip.

After that maybe a trip to Scotland but that will probably be about it. Sticking close to home this year to finish a number of projects around the house.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Yokes 09 Jan 20, 19:53Post
update:

MARCH
FRA-PEK CA B748
PEK-HKG CA A321

HKG-TPE HX A332

TPE-PVG CA A333
PVG-FRA CA A350

MAY
CGN-BGY FR B738

JUNE
BGY-CGN FR B738
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Jan 20, 21:36Post
OUL-HEL and back in a couple of weeks. Looks like TLV is slipping into February - which probably means March. Sniff of a work trip to BCN but nothing more at the moment.

DXing wrote:maybe a trip to Scotland

Make sure to rent a car with some grunt and do the road from Tyndrum, up over Rannoch Moor and through Glen Coe to Ballachulish.

(probably best enjoyed with the sound off...)
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 10 Jan 20, 21:24Post
Seconded, it's a great road - but there are plenty of good ones around that part of the world!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
DXing 12 Jan 20, 02:19Post
January
9th ORD/SLC
10th SLC/ORD
Yearly route qualification ride. No real reason for SLC other than I've never been there before. Be there on Thursday night so I think I will check out the free Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearsal

Another route qualification ride in the books. Not bad either. UA521 ORD/SLC was an A319. Pulled out of ORD 1 minute early, got the quick route to the runway and off we went. I like the Airbus jumpseat, much more comfy than the 737 but one thing Airbus didn't do was put the headset jack anywhere near the seat. Unless you have an ultra long cord, it is just close enough if you lean your head to the right. Look to the left and the headseat gets pulled off your head. Very annoying. Completely smooth with an on an off cloud deck well below us. Several aircraft passed 1000ft below on a reciprocal track, always interesting to see. Approach into SLC was a non event. Mostly clear with a beautiful view. Only hiccup was that a WN flight was blocking the taxiway to our gate due to his gate being occupied so the tower asked us if we could do a 180 on the runway and back taxi to the hi speed turn off. Haven't done that since somewhere in Central America. On the way in passed by a Delta A220, first one I've seen in person. Very good looking plane, huge fans for its size.

I did go to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehersal an I would recommend that to anyone in SLC on a Thursday night. I'm not that into choirs but it was very interesting to see how they put it all together and then hear the final version. I asked if these were all just parishioners with good voices but as I figured these folks have to send in a tape, if it is good enough they are brought in for a live audition, and if accepted can only stay on the choir for 5 years and then they get the boot as the choir wants fresh voices. I thought that a bit odd but it makes sense in a way.

Next day I looked around SLC, went to the State Capitol building. I would recommend that as well. Beautiful architecture and a fair amount of history to be discovered. You've got to hand it to SLC, public transportation between the airport and the city center is a breeze. Light rail and not very expensive at that.

Left SLC on UA2197, a 737-800, off the gate 1 minute early. Usual departure runway of 34R was closed for construction so we taxied over to runway 35 for departure and it was normal. Smooth till DSM and from there on into ORD it was occasional light to continuous moderate turbulence. The only altitude that appeared to be smooth was reported by a Cessna Citation X at FL450 and we weren't going up there. Approach to runway 9L was down to near CAT1 minimums. Just after I saw the high intensity lights and runway lights come in to view and the FO called out runway environment in sight the box called out "minimums minimums" so it was close to a go around. Taxi in took over 30 minutes as 9L is somewhere near the Wisconsin border. I thanked the crew for a very interesting experience and made my leave.

Next up is Cape Town SA in March but for that trip I will be safely, and comfortably seated in a Polaris BF seat on both legs! Looking forward to that experience.

Next year is a pacific route qualification and Singapore is high on the list.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
DXing 12 Jan 20, 02:23Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:

DXing wrote:maybe a trip to Scotland

Make sure to rent a car with some grunt and do the road from Tyndrum, up over Rannoch Moor and through Glen Coe to Ballachulish.

(probably best enjoyed with the sound off...)

Hmmm, not loading. Can it be any worse than Inverness to Nostle? I don't get car sick but that road just about made it a first.
DXing 12 Jan 20, 06:11Post
On my phone it does load. Yeah the road from Inverness to Nostle was quite a bit narrower and twisty as well. But that looks like a nice road for a motorcycle ride.
CentrelinePhoto 12 Jan 20, 19:29Post
Manchester-Copenhagen round trip, late March with easyJet.
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 13 Jan 20, 16:58Post
Trips confirmed so far:

DEN-ABQ-DEN via WN in March
DEN-ABQ-DEN via UA in November

There will be be a visit to CRW in late July but could be a bit before things are firmed up. There's a few people that need "wrangling" on this trip. I was surprised that I could book my November trip this far out in advance, but it allowed me to secure a seat in First for a very nice price.

OSH is out this year due to family commitments. SXM remains a goal, but it will have to happen during my scheduled days off.
Make Orwell fiction again.
FlySwiss 14 Jan 20, 16:02Post
some more addings

January
ZRH-VIE OS 564 A319 OE-LDF
VIE-INN OS 913 A319 OE-LDG
INN-VIE OS 904 DH8 OE-LGQ
VIE-ZRH LX1579 A320 HB-IJP
ZRH-ARN LX1248
ARN-ZRH LX1251
ZRH-SIN LX 176
KUL-KOS AK 264

February
SIN-ZRH SQ 346
ZRH-ARN LX1250
ARN-ZRH LX1251

March
ZRH-MAD LX2020
MAD-ZRH LX2033

June
ZRH-VIE LX
VIE-KBP OS
KBP-MUC LH
MUC-PVG LH
PVG-ZRH LX
ZRH-KBP LX
KBP-ZRH LX
Yokes 14 Jan 20, 16:17Post
update:

MARCH
FRA-PEK CA B748
PEK-HKG CA A321

HKG-TPE HX A332

TPE-PVG CA A333
PVG-FRA CA A350

MAY
CGN-BGY FR B738

JUNE
BGY-CGN FR B738

SEPTEMBER
DUS-PMI OE A320
PMI-DUS OE A320
FlySwiss 15 Jan 20, 14:52Post
Some correction

January
ZRH-ARN LX1248
ARN-ZRH LX1251
ZRH-SIN LX 176 B77W
KUL-KOS AK 264 A320

February
SIN-ZRH SQ 346 A380
ZRH-ARN LX1250
ARN-ZRH LX1251

March
ZRH-MAD LX2020
MAD-ZRH LX2033

June
ZRH-KBP LX2290
KBP-MUC LH2545
MUC-PVG LH 726 A380 Seat 1A
PVG-ZRH LX 189 A343 Seat 1A
ZRH-KBP LX2290
KBP-ZRH LX2291
xwizard (Founding Member) 15 Jan 20, 23:09Post
January 2020

HKG-CXR UO A320 (Cam Ranh Internation / Nha Trang - surprisingly not in the database?)
CXR-HKG UO A320
Lovin' the smell of avgas in the morning....
airtrainer 28 Jan 20, 15:35Post
Update...

JANUARY
CRL-VIE OE
BTS-CRL FR
BRU-MAD IB (A346)
MAD-BRU FR

FEBRUARY
BRU-LIS FR
LIS-BRU FR

MARCH
CRL-PSA FR
PSA-CRL FR

MAY
CRL-ZAD FR
ZAD-CRL FR

JUNE
BRU-GVA U2
GVA-TIA EZS
TIA-GVA EZS
BSL-BRU U2

JULY
CRL-WMI FR
WMI-CRL FR

NOVEMBER
CDG-CAN CZ
CAN-CHC CZ
CHC-CAN CZ
CAN-SXY CZ
SXY-LHR CZ
LHR-CDG AF
Grounded...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Jan 20, 17:11Post
I have a vacation in May or June, so I want to go somewhere fun. I have been single for quite some time, and I'd love to find a girl to go with me, since it's more fun with another person when traveling.

At least IMHO!
Yokes 31 Jan 20, 18:28Post
update:

MARCH
FRA-PEK CA B748
PEK-HKG CA A321

HKG-TPE HX A332

TPE-PVG CA A333
PVG-FRA CA A350

MAY
DUS-LHR BA A321N
LHR-DUS BA A320

CGN-BGY FR B738

JUNE
BGY-CGN FR B738

SEPTEMBER
DUS-PMI OE A320
PMI-DUS OE A320
DXing 01 Feb 20, 19:04Post
DXing wrote:January
9th ORD/SLC
10th SLC/ORD
Yearly route qualification ride. No real reason for SLC other than I've never been there before. Be there on Thursday night so I think I will check out the free Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearsal.

Add ….

February
21st CLE/SFO
23rd SFO/CLE

Daughter sent me an article about the Yosemite National Park Horsetail fall "Firefall" in February where the setting sun creates the illusion of a lava flow over Horsetail falls. Have time off then, so I'm going to take her out to see it since she A. Deserves it B. Has never let me down. Looks interesting and the site I read up on it said things not to miss include a solar eclipse (box checked) the Firefall, and the northern lights (box checked). So we will make the trek and deal with the crowds.

March
1st to 2nd IAH/EWR/CPT
7th CPT/EWR/IAH
This is the culmination of my daughters United 100 award. Never been to South Africa before so I am looking forward to this trip.

After that maybe a trip to Scotland but that will probably be about it. Sticking close to home this year to finish a number of projects around the house.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 Feb 20, 13:30Post
MCO again in August.

Mother-in-Law is now a widow and needs company occasionally.

AA738 south and north. Normal Seats, 1A/1B . . . . nothing spectacular.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 Feb 20, 14:27Post
ANCFlyer wrote:MCO again in August.

How many of the 738s are now running the Oasis config?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 06 Feb 20, 04:45Post
Added another trip in March. I'm really getting my money's worth out of TSA PreCheck!

DEN-ABQ-DEN via WN (B737) in March
DEN-COD-DEN via UA (E145) in March
DEN-ABQ-DEN via UA (A319) in November
Make Orwell fiction again.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 06 Feb 20, 11:14Post
Lucas wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:MCO again in August.

How many of the 738s are now running the Oasis config?

I have no idea, but I know that (like AS) AA has dumbed down their seat pitch in F to 37"-42" . . . . not much better than Y. That is why I pick 1A/1B. I don't want someone's head in my lap, be damned the "no underseat storage for take off and landing".

AS really screwed up their Airbii inherited from VX. . . . that had the perfect pictch of 54". Now reduced to 41" also. And I'll wager - since I haven't flown AS in about a year - their cabin service has shat the bed also.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 06 Feb 20, 13:28Post
Crazy airfares... Be creative...

MIA-BOS
BOS-PDL
PDL-LIS
LIS-MIA
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
FlySwiss 13 Feb 20, 10:14Post
added some flights I did in February

January
ZRH-ARN LX1248 A320 HB-JLQ
ARN-ZRH LX1251 A321 HB-ION
ZRH-SIN LX 176 B77W HB-JNE
KUL-KOS AK 264 A20N 9M AGG

February
KOS-REP K6 130 A321 XU-350
REP-SIN MI 613 B738 9V-MGD
SIN-ZRH SQ 346 A380 9V-SKS
ZRH-ARN LX1250 A320 HB-IJI
ARN-ZRH LX1251 A320 HB-IJI

March
ZRH-MAD LX2020
MAD-ZRH LX2033

June
ZRH-KBP LX2290
KBP-MUC LH2545
MUC-PVG LH 726 A380 Seat 1A
PVG-ZRH LX 189 A343 Seat 1A
ZRH-KBP LX2290
KBP-ZRH LX2291
Yokes 21 Feb 20, 09:15Post
Change of plans due to the Corona virus. Air China and Hongkong Airlines offering full refund on all flights until end of march. Refund of Hongkong Airlines will take up to 8 weeks, if they´ll still alive until then... {boggled}

MARCH
FRA-PEK CA B748
PEK-HKG CA A321

HKG-TPE HX A332

TPE-PVG CA A333
PVG-FRA CA A350

FRA-LHR BA A319
LHR-HKG BA A380

HKG-LHR BA A380
LHR-FRA BA A319

MAY
DUS-LHR BA A321N