You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Social

Retirement . . . . . . . .

Arrange meetings, spotting trips and mutual flying activities here.

ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 29 Jun 22, 14:29Post
So, on 7/2/22 or as the rest of the world counts it 2.7.22, MRSANC and I are officially retired and on the road.

We played the game long enough. I have retired (this time for the third time for her the second time).

There's a beast in the driveway, appropriately called "The Beast" which is a 42' 5th wheel attached to the Magnificent Bastards (also known as the NBAFDT) that will depart this grid on a 6000 mile journey across (too many) about 25 of these United States starting Saturday.

I'll be on line of course, there will be a blog on FB . . . we've been planning this for 3 years.

And now, it's Game On. All the best ladies and gents . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 29 Jun 22, 17:06Post
Well deserved. Enjoy.

Sell the house in Fox Lake?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
DXing 29 Jun 22, 17:29Post
Congrats....although I'd hate to see the fuel bill by the time you get to the end of that 6000 miles...never say never, you might be retiring a 4th time yet! LOL
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Aug 22, 02:22Post
Just checking in . . . sitting about 20 miles south of Gainesville, Florida at the Grand Island Golf and RV Resort . . . not too bad at all. We are 41 days and 1600 miles into this excursion.

The Beast and Bastard performing as designed . . . fuel bills of course have given me cardiac arrest (most notably in Pennsylvania where they have you by the balls on the PA Turnpike). All seriousness, fuel has been twice what I had planned when this escapade hit the drawing board a year ago.

Lower and Central Alabama and Arkansas are next on the list. Family in 'bama and a friend's wedding in Bentonville.

I am hopping on AA for a quick trip to Phoenix area in two weeks . . . got to scope out a place to plant this thing next winter.

More updates later.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
DXing 23 Aug 22, 12:37Post
Glad to hear things are going as planned with no major hang ups. I'd be interested to know what you're getting as far as mpg, although I understand that's kind of a waste of time given the load you are pulling. Been investigating the purchase of a Thor 31D. It's gas powered but I can make the correlation.

Figure we might start spending a couple of months during the hardest part of the winter down south.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Aug 22, 20:26Post
DXing wrote:Glad to hear things are going as planned with no major hang ups. I'd be interested to know what you're getting as far as mpg, although I understand that's kind of a waste of time given the load you are pulling. Been investigating the purchase of a Thor 31D. It's gas powered but I can make the correlation.

Figure we might start spending a couple of months during the hardest part of the winter down south.

I have a Ford F-350 with the 6.7 Turbo Diesel. I'm hauling - depending on the day - 16,800lb (lightest load across the scales) and 17,920 lb (heaviest) (no waste tanks or supply tanks loaded). Best MPG has been 10.8. Worst has been 7.9 through the Appalachian mountains. Average in my book is 9.8/9 mpg. Not bad at all. I can all it 10mpg given fuel purchases. 10 miles is a gallon of diesel.

Lastly . . . buy a diesel. Your MPG and your wits will thank you as you creeeeeeeep upgrade at 20-30 mph under the limit in 3rd gear . . . diesel. Simple really.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
PA110 (Founding Member) 26 Aug 22, 17:39Post
Congrats to both you and the missus. Despite living in paradise, I continue to labor away to ensure that once I do hang up the job, I can continue to support myself in the manner to which I've grown accustomed. :))
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 Aug 22, 18:38Post
PA110 wrote:Congrats to both you and the missus. Despite living in paradise, I continue to labor away to ensure that once I do hang up the job, I can continue to support myself in the manner to which I've grown accustomed. :))

Ha Ha Ha, I've seen pictures . . . . you ain't laboring . . . except to get to the beach or some ono grinds . . . . :)) ;)
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
DXing 28 Sep 22, 11:41Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Just checking in . . . sitting about 20 miles south of Gainesville, Florida at the Grand Island Golf and RV Resort . . . not too bad at all. We are 41 days and 1600 miles into this excursion.

Lower and Central Alabama and Arkansas are next on the list. Family in 'bama and a friend's wedding in Bentonville.

So, have you bugged out of Florida? Or taken refuge at Vic's wine and cigar shop for the road weary, or warrior farther south?
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 30 Sep 22, 11:34Post
DXing wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:Just checking in . . . sitting about 20 miles south of Gainesville, Florida at the Grand Island Golf and RV Resort . . . not too bad at all. We are 41 days and 1600 miles into this excursion.

So, have you bugged out of Florida? Or taken refuge at Vic's wine and cigar shop for the road weary, or warrior farther south?

Bugged out last Sunday. It was a scheduled bug out, part of the planned trip but the timing was . . .timely. We are near Montgomery, AL now - for the winter. Next time we move the 5er will be March 2023 . . . then to Arkansas for a friends wedding.

Much better weather in 'bama that that cesspool knows as north central Florida.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!