You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Social

ANC Meet June 2022

Arrange meetings, spotting trips and mutual flying activities here.

Yokes 10 Oct 21, 10:13Post
After some discussion, who is interested in an ANC meet in June 2022?
Mark 10 Oct 21, 13:40Post
I'm interested.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
DXing 10 Oct 21, 18:03Post
Don't Nome if I'll be availaBarrow but I've never been there and would like to go. Full disclosure, I've tried three times and the Cleveland volcano has been my nemesis each time, puff puffing ash just before my departure. If I say I'll go, I might jinx the entire affair, Juneau?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 11 Oct 21, 15:27Post
I'm interested, but it will be a while before I can even see if I can make it happen. I won't be able to schedule vacation time for 2022 until late January at the earliest. If COVID "passports" are implemented for domestic travel, that will be automatic trip killer.
Make Orwell fiction again.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 12 Oct 21, 09:25Post
Looking into it, JUL may be the best month.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Yokes 12 Oct 21, 16:43Post
miamiair wrote:Looking into it, JUL may be the best month.

For me the best time would be june, in july we have sommer holidays here in Germany, which makes flights very very expensive.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 12 Oct 21, 17:48Post
Pep, how big is your condo in ANC? :))
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Oct 21, 10:08Post
GQfluffy wrote:Pep, how big is your condo in ANC? :))

{laugh} {laugh} {laugh} {laugh}

My "Condo" in ANC (or any other place is Alaska) is now a 40foot 5th Wheel attached to the NBAFDT. I only have some vacant land there now - sold the house Feb 2020.

Sorry ladies and gents.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 13 Oct 21, 13:11Post
Holy Cow, the Flea Bag Inn Lakefront is $ 349/night. {bugeye}
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Oct 21, 13:30Post
miamiair wrote:Holy Cow, the Flea Bag Inn Lakefront is $ 349/night. {bugeye}

Yup. Tis that season up there . . .

Coast Inn is a fleabag, and it's also closet to ANC and LHD is within spitting (and peeing) distance . . . no elevator but only two floors. Old, natty, but free parking (decent bar, typical bar food). Also benefit there is the end of the 25R across Int'l Airport Road and Spenard Road with a parking area and spotter friendly "hilltop" about 1/4 mile away.

Alex Hotel is worse. And bring your sidearm there (or anywhere else in the Spenard neighborhood).

Courtyard is basically across the street from the Coast Inn but no view of ANC (parking garage and trees). Pricey and aside from the bar and free breakfast, you can do better.

Lakefront Hotel, which you mentioned MiamiAir, was a Clarion for decades. Recently lost it's flag because they couldn't maintain the standard. It has (had) a GREAT bar and restaurant and excellent, unobstructed views of LHD from the deck. Within walking distance (meters) of the aforementioned Courtyard and Coast Inn. No real view of ANC, but again, close enough to the end of 25R to get aerial shots.

Obviously, anything you wanna know about Anchorage and environs, I'm your man . . .
:))
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 13 Oct 21, 14:01Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Alex Hotel is worse. And bring your sidearm there (or anywhere else in the Spenard neighborhood).

I did the last time I went. :))
Mark 13 Oct 21, 16:51Post
I don't need a fancy hotel. Just a bed and bathroom. A place to crash after a day of fun. Must be bedbug-free. Same with a car. If I need a car, all it has to have is 4 wheels and a driver seat. I'd prefer to hitch rides with other attendees... and pay them for it.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 13 Oct 21, 17:22Post
Mark wrote:I don't need a fancy hotel. Just a bed and bathroom. A place to crash after a day of fun. Must be bedbug-free. Same with a car. If I need a car, all it has to have is 4 wheels and a driver seat. I'd prefer to hitch rides with other attendees... and pay them for it.

Looking at those hotel prices, I'm thinking SUV and an airbed. Having said that, I haven't seen what hiring a car costs yet!
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Oct 21, 18:14Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote: . . . . Looking at those hotel prices, I'm thinking SUV and an airbed. Having said that, I haven't seen what hiring a car costs yet!

Well, summer in Alaska. Expect availability to limited - read that: reserve early - and prices to be about double the usual.

Now, the good thing is, if all you intend to do is drink, eat, spot planes, all of the hotels I mentioned run airport shuttles just about 24/7 in the summer. All of the hotels I mentioned have a bar (go figure) and a restaurant (a requirement of mine personally). If you "need" to go to the center of town (bring a sidearm there too) and grab a bus or a cab. Anchorage has a very well organized and efficient transit service with bus stops everywhere.

There is always the taxi option.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Oct 21, 18:19Post
ANCFlyer wrote:
ShanwickOceanic wrote: . . . . Looking at those hotel prices, I'm thinking SUV and an airbed. Having said that, I haven't seen what hiring a car costs yet!

Well, summer in Alaska. Expect availability to be limited - read that: reserve early - and prices to be about double the usual.

Now, the good thing is, if all you intend to do is drink, eat, spot planes, all of the hotels I mentioned run airport shuttles just about 24/7 in the summer. All of the hotels I mentioned have a bar (go figure) and a restaurant (a requirement of mine personally). All of them are within 1.5 miles of the main terminal building at ANC. The spotting hill I mentioned earlier at the end of the 25 is within hundreds of feet of two of those hotels. If you "need" to go to the center of town (bring a sidearm there too), grab a bus or a cab. Anchorage has a very well organized and efficient transit service with bus stops everywhere.

There is always the taxi option.

Some of the best spotting locations are a good couple miles around the airport perimeter and will likely require some transportation (Point Waranzof at the end of runway 33, great place for all departures). . . no dog sleds in the summer, so plan accordingly.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 13 Oct 21, 18:44Post
ANCFlyer wrote:(bring a sidearm there too)

How much of a pain in the ass is it to travel by air with a sidearm? I've never done it. All I know it that it has to be checked, locked, and declared to the airline at check-in.
Make Orwell fiction again.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Oct 21, 18:59Post
ShyFlyer wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:(bring a sidearm there too)

How much of a pain in the ass is it to travel by air with a sidearm? I've never done it. All I know it that it has to be checked, locked, and declared to the airline at check-in.

Each airline has it's own nuance to some degree or another.

I disassemble mine. Put it in an approved and locked carrier. Mark it as firearm. Declare it to the airline agent. It's tagged as a firearm and noted on your res by the airline. Put it in checked luggage , go take your bag to the TSA widgets and they get their go at inspecting it (or not, as was the case for me several times - they were satisfied the airline checked it - which they had not), and off you go. Never had a problem.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 13 Oct 21, 22:08Post
ANCFlyer wrote:no dog sleds in the summer, so plan accordingly.

Couple of runway ends look kayakable from downtown!

How close can you get to the elephant cage antenna near Elmendorf? That thing looks seriously cool.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 13 Oct 21, 22:13Post
Bit more impressive than the POL VOR, that!

I don't think I'll be able to make this one, I already have a few commitments in June that have been a pain to organise through a lack of available leave.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Oct 21, 23:58Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:no dog sleds in the summer, so plan accordingly.

Couple of runway ends look kayakable from downtown!

How close can you get to the elephant cage antenna near Elmendorf? That thing looks seriously cool.

I suppose you could kayak out in Cook Inlet . . . . I don't recommend it. Seriously though, the tides are brutal (some of the most ranging high/low in the world). I suppose it's doable . . .lemme know how that works out for ya. {angel}

Elmendorf (JBER as it is now called: Joint Base Elmendorf - Richardson. Good luck with that . . . :))
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 15 Oct 21, 16:09Post
Virtual spotting: Live camera at Lake Hood, they swing over to show the heavies at ANC very frequently, especially during the middle-season lake freezover and thaw when traffic at the lake is light...

Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
Yokes 11 Jan 22, 20:19Post
Time to get this up again.

Now got my holiday schedule from work. Im off from 20.June to 02 July.