You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Space

Sun-Synchronous Orbit Spacecrafts

Everything that is sub-orbital or beyond.

bearnard95 06 May 21, 12:09Post
Have you ever heard about Sun-synchronous orbit spacecrafts? According to the information I`ve found such name have weather satellites and some kind of scientific satellites. Also, I`ve heard that there are not only weather satellites and scientific satellites that are used in Sun-synchronous orbit. Do you know which kind of sats or maybe other spacecrafts are used for Sun-synchronous orbit?
bhmbaglock 06 May 21, 13:18Post
Spy satellites are another example.
bearnard95 07 May 21, 08:27Post
Yeah,you are right, spy sats, among others.
If you have a sun-synchronous orbit, the satellite will overfly the same patch of land when the sunlight is hitting the terrain at the same angle.
From the shadows cast by objects, you can easily and consistently calculate their height. When an underground facility is built, you can thus estimate the amount of excavated material.
bearnard95 12 May 21, 07:58Post
I found an example of such kind of rocket. It`s called XL rocket and it`s a three-stage light class launch vechicle. It is intended for placing pay loads into Sun-Synchronous Orbit over range of 500 km altitude. As far as I know this type of rocket deliver space weather satellites or satellites related to Earth observation.