You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Space

Mars Helicopter Flies

Everything that is sub-orbital or beyond.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 Apr 21, 14:07Post
The American space agency has successfully flown a small helicopter on Mars.

The drone, called Ingenuity, was airborne for less than a minute, but Nasa is celebrating what represents the first powered, controlled flight by an aircraft on another world.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56799755

Pretty damn cool.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 19 Apr 21, 14:32Post
Very cool indeed.

When are the drone races scheduled for?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Mark 19 Apr 21, 20:11Post
That Mars team is really on the ball.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
bearnard95 20 Apr 21, 10:53Post
That's a pretty great achievement for the Perseverance mission and for whole space exploration area. Excellent work by NASA's scientists and engineers. I guess that this flight will help humans in futher Mars exploration and of course it will help in making the first crewed mission to the red planet
https://spacenews.com/ingenuity-perform ... t-on-mars/
DXing 20 Apr 21, 12:20Post
The rotor speed was approximately 5x what would have been needed to lift the same weight here on earth due to the low air pressure/density. They plan on using larger aircraft in the future to move scientific packages around but they will have to have correspondingly fast rotor speeds or larger rotors to compensate for the difference in density.

Still, kudo's to the team, the programing had to be done remotely and in advance. That's a pretty tall order. If you have ever flown a drone in real time you know it doesn't take a whole lot of breeze to throw you off course.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
bearnard95 27 Apr 21, 07:45Post
Have you alrwady seen the picture that has been made by Ingenuity helicopter? The image has been taken on 17 feet above the ground and showes us Mars` rusty, red surface of Mars. https://hypebeast.com/2021/4/nasa-mars- ... ign=ig_bio
JacobCooper 29 Apr 21, 15:42Post
Yeah, that picture is really amazing. It's so strange to see Percy from outside and realize that this photo is taken on Mars.
bearnard95 07 May 21, 10:45Post
Ingenuity completed its third flight. New image. Ingenuity exprimental helicopter conducting third flight. Reaching much higher than before, I reckon about 10 metres. Also a vastly longer horizontal flight. The take off point was out of the frame to the left. Ingenuitity can be seen in front of the Jezero Crater delta whilst flying. Second image shows Ingenuity landed in a new lovation with the Neretva Vallis (former river valley that flowed into Jezero Crater about 3.5 billion years ago) and Jezero Crater delta in the background. Ingenuity flew for 50 metres.
JacobCooper 13 May 21, 15:17Post
I can't believe that only a month ago, Ingenuity took its first test flight, and now it completed 5 successful flights. The last one greatly impressed me because it was a one-way trip. Moreover, the drone managed to climb to a height of 10 meters — it's a new record for a helicopter.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 13 May 21, 15:34Post
Wait until Robinson shows up with theirs...
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen