You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Space

The New Space Technology

Everything that is sub-orbital or beyond.

bearnard95 03 Mar 21, 13:32Post
In the modern world, science and technology are fast-growing things, and as we can see a lot of new space technologies are about to be produced or invented. Which one do you expect the most and which one do you think might be the most useful for humans or for space exploration?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 03 Mar 21, 15:00Post
I think propulsion should be the next frontier.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
bhmbaglock 03 Mar 21, 15:56Post
miamiair wrote:I think propulsion should be the next frontier.

Several new engines coming on line in the next year using methane rather than RP-1 and even the Russians and Chinese are moving away from toxic hypergolic fuels like UDMH, NTO, Hydrazine, etc.

Raptor from SpaceX is very impressive - full flow staged combustion, deep throttling ability, etc.

BE-4 from Blue Origin is a bit less ambitious but still a big jump over current engines.

For those who don't know, some of the advantages of Methane over RP-1 include cleaner burn/less coking in the engine, ability to theoretically manufacture fuel on the Moon or Mars using the Sabatier process, etc.
bearnard95 04 Mar 21, 09:04Post

That`s a good point. I also want that new kind of propulsion system will be invented. The new kind that will allow us making long space journeys we cannot do now. Off cource it sounds impossible now to invent such propulsion system but just imagine how it would change our world.
bearnard95 04 Mar 21, 09:29Post
bhmbaglock wrote:

Several new engines coming on line in the next year using methane rather than RP-1 and even the Russians and Chinese are moving away from toxic hypergolic fuels like UDMH, NTO, Hydrazine, etc.

Raptor from SpaceX is very impressive - full flow staged combustion, deep throttling ability, etc.

BE-4 from Blue Origin is a bit less ambitious but still a big jump over current engines.

For those who don't know, some of the advantages of Methane over RP-1 include cleaner burn/less coking in the engine, ability to theoretically manufacture fuel on the Moon or Mars using the Sabatier process, etc.

I know that some comanies already use hybrid rockets for some microgravity missions and experiments.The term ``hybrid`` has been given to this rocket because it combines solid Hydroxyl Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) fuel and 90% Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) liquid oxidiser.
bhmbaglock 04 Mar 21, 16:30Post
bearnard95 wrote:
bhmbaglock wrote:

I know that some comanies already use hybrid rockets for some microgravity missions and experiments.The term ``hybrid`` has been given to this rocket because it combines solid Hydroxyl Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) fuel and 90% Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) liquid oxidiser.

Only advantage of this approach is that it's a solid rocket engine that can be stopped without use of explosives and potentially restarted. They are low specific impulse and horribly polluting compared to other options.

If you want toxicity danger pre-burn go with hypergolics, if you want toxicity issues post burn go with solids. Realistically, other than hypergolics being used as long term storable fuel for maneuvering thrusters, they're both pretty obsolete at this point.
bearnard95 05 Mar 21, 09:13Post
This space company in the uk I`ve mentioned before uses two stages in Skyhy rocket. Each stage uses a helium preassure feed system. I assume such kind of rocket is not completely ideal. But still the consept has rather interestiong idea in futher rocket building.
JacobCooper 19 Mar 21, 08:56Post
I suppose Falcon rockets are one of the most useful technologies for space exploration, at least because the manufacturing of reusable rockets helps to lower the launch costs and reduce the amount of space debris. What about the technology I expect — it's Starship. I suppose there's no reason to explain why. This super-heavy launch vehicle aims at sending humans to Mars and will replace Falcon rockets in the future. It's a grand project {bugeye}.
Ethan13 22 Mar 21, 19:57Post
Plasma engines are the most promising. But they will not start using them in rockets very soon. Many modern space companies have good ideas on how to improve modern rockets. But fundamentally new? While all ideas smell like the 70s