You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Space

3D Printed Rocket From Relativity Space

Everything that is sub-orbital or beyond.

Mark 26 Feb 21, 16:23Post
Could Relativity Space be the next SpaceX?

As the Los Angeles-based startup plans to launch its 3D-printed Terran 1 rocket late this year, key market indicators show a company growing so quickly that it's attracting massive investor attention.

The company's debut launch was originally slated for 2020, but preparations now appear to be going smoothly after that initial delay, with some important milestones coming up soon.

https://www.space.com/relativity-space- ... aunch-2021
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
JacobCooper 19 Mar 21, 10:28Post
3D printed rocket is a king of breakthrough, but it doesn't make Relativity Space a decent rival for SpaceX, no offense to this startup. This company is rather young and doesn't have the experience and resources SpaceX has. However, it may become a good push for the development of Relativity Space ;).
Ethan13 29 Mar 21, 13:21Post
It seems that 3D printing is very common in rocketry. I see a good trend in this. Rocket engines with less welding. Complex shapes. New composite materials. It's a great rocket manufacturing process.
JacobCooper 13 May 21, 15:44Post
I also heard that the Scottish company Skyrora that uses 3D printing in manufacturing their rockets. You probably heard about Skylark Nano rocket, space tug, Skyrora XL, and other their products. Skyrora developed an additive technology that is even better than 3d printing because it allows them to print various details of the spacecraft from different materials simultaneously.
bearnard95 14 May 21, 12:15Post
Yeah, that`s a good point. I another thread I`ve mentioned 3d printer which is called additive manufacturing services. This printer allows to print multi-composite parts simultaneously from several materials, which is infeasible in other types of aerospace 3d printing
bhmbaglock 14 May 21, 21:10Post
SpaceX has been using 3d printed parts for actual flight hardware for 7 or 8 years now. Their Draco and Super Draco engines used for maneuvering and emergency escape are printed in Inconel for example and were the first items printed and flown by them.
bearnard95 19 May 21, 08:41Post
I found an interesting point that this 3D printing technology works perfectly. The third stagefor Skyrora XL rocket and found out this rocket engine was made with the usage of additive technology. I can't believe that engines can be made with the help of 3d printer. I`ve never thought that 3d printing couldn't be used for such purposes. However, as I see, the final material is tough enough to handle that kind of stress.