You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Space

The Most Advanced Space Craft

Everything that is sub-orbital or beyond.

bearnard95 23 Feb 21, 13:25Post
Hello guys, I am new here and the first think I wanna discuss is the spacecraft you consider the most odvanced of the recnt time. As you can see technology nowadays is a fast developing thing and a lot of stuff have been invented for the recent time that can make a scientific breakthrough. What was the most special for you?
Mark 23 Feb 21, 16:06Post
I've been a space geek since the Apollo days. I was 8 years old in 1968. I wrote letters to all of the Apollo astronauts and asked them for autographed headshots. They all followed through, including Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Mike Collins.

I built a polystyrene model of a Saturn V rocket with Apollo spacecraft attached. It was 3 feet long. For a school science project in 6th grade, I used chicken wire, plaster, and flat grey spray paint to build a model of the Apollo 14 landing site. I used the lunar module from the Saturn V model to finish off the model of the landing site.

I remember where I was when the Challenger space shuttle blew up. I was driving home from the nearby university I attended. I was almost home. I was halfway into completing a right turn from US highway 63 onto Elm Street in Baldwin, WI, when the announcer during the live radiocast on the St. Paul/Minneapolis AM station that I was listening to said, "The rocket has exploded. It's in a million pieces and there is a huge fireball."

To answer your question, I'd say the SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule is the most-advanced and most technological space vehicle in current use. I'm excited that the Dragon capsule can be used and reused for a variety of missions, both manned and unmanned and pressurized and depressurized.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
bearnard95 24 Feb 21, 08:43Post
I would like to mention the Parker Solar Probe. Simply for getting closer to the sun than any other spacecraft so far and considering how hard it is to get that close. The space craft which is capable to take samples from the outer corona of the Sun really makes you amazed by it, because of the high temperature it can endure.
bearnard95 24 Feb 21, 08:47Post
And also, I wanna mention the Dawn Probe. It uses an advanced ion thruster, allowing it to be the first (man-made) spacecraft to orbit multiple non-terrestrial bodies (Vesta and Ceres). This feat would not be possible (practical) using conventional chemical thrusters, which have too low of a specific impulse.
CentrelinePhoto 24 Feb 21, 09:17Post
Mark wrote:I wrote letters to all of the Apollo astronauts and asked them for autographed headshots. They all followed through, including Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Mike Collins.

Very nice! Hand-signed or autopen, do you know? Either way, something to treasure.
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
Mark 24 Feb 21, 15:21Post
CentrelinePhoto wrote:
Mark wrote:I wrote letters to all of the Apollo astronauts and asked them for autographed headshots. They all followed through, including Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Mike Collins.

Very nice! Hand-signed or autopen, do you know? Either way, something to treasure.

They were signed with Sharpie pens. Different colors were used on different pictures. None were personalized with my name, so they could have been autopen or hand-signed. I not longer have th pictures.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
JacobCooper 22 Mar 21, 15:19Post
I know that this thread is devoted to spacecraft, but let me tell you about one of the most advanced technologies used in aerospace engineering. I mean additive technology of Skyrora. I never thought 3D printing could be used for building rockets, but this company makes me believe that everything is possible. I wonder how this material turns out to be as durable as metal :o.
Ethan13 22 Mar 21, 20:05Post
Advanced? Space rockets are just at the beginning of their journey. It seems to me that reliability, launch preparation speed and cost are more important now.