You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Space

Crew Dragon Demo 2

Everything that is sub-orbital or beyond.

CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 26 May 20, 23:07Post
Tomorrow at 16:33 EDT will be one of the biggest days in space history in the 21st century.

https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-drago ... ained.html
https://www.nasa.gov/specials/dm2/
DXing 27 May 20, 00:35Post
I was going to drive down to attend but the weather forecast looks pretty dubious. I hope they get it in but if not, Friday looks to be the next best day and I may plan to attend if it is.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
DXing 27 May 20, 11:54Post
Looks like Saturday will be the first back up date. As of 1152z there is a big blob of a thunderstorm over the Cape, the chance of rain at launch time is 60%. I still hope they get the launch in today but I would think unless the conditions are a slight bit better than forecast they would scrub.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 27 May 20, 19:36Post
1 Hour to go
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 27 May 20, 20:26Post
Bugger. Scrubbed for WX.

Next attempt is Saturday, about 15:20 ish EDT.

Bob and Doug....ha...wonder if their last name is Mackenzie? :))
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
DXing 27 May 20, 22:33Post
It was looking pretty weak all day long. In the end thunderstorms off the coast scrubbed the launch. It was close though. The weather officer said if they could wait 10 minutes conditions off shore would be acceptable but since this was a launch to intercept, no delay was acceptable.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning but if the weather still looks acceptable for Saturday, I will hop in the car and drive on down for the launch.
Boris (Founding Member) 27 May 20, 23:07Post
I'm going to watch it lift off on TV, and then walk out in the back yard and hopefully see it go out of sight.

It's just over 100 miles to Pad 39A, so I'll be good if there's not too much haze or clouds...
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers...
DXing 28 May 20, 13:33Post
Saturday is looking like a bust as well. Currently 80% chance of thunderstorms during the day with cloud the entire period as well. Right now it looks like I'm not going to chance it. If it doesn't go I'll take a look at the next back up date and make a decision then.
Boris (Founding Member) 28 May 20, 23:38Post
DXing wrote:Saturday is looking like a bust as well. Currently 80% chance of thunderstorms during the day with cloud the entire period as well. Right now it looks like I'm not going to chance it. If it doesn't go I'll take a look at the next back up date and make a decision then.

I lived on the coast down there for about 25 years. From now until October, the forecast EVERY afternoon will be about an 80% chance of thunderstorms.

They should figure the next morning that will work and schedule it then...
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers...
DXing 29 May 20, 03:04Post
That's true, but the rub here is that they have no leeway on launch time. It's either launch at X time or scrub. On Wednesday if they could have delayed 10 minutes the stuff offshore that was prohibiting the launch would have been gone.

Looks like the back up date to the back up date is Sunday at 3pm local. I think they could change to an AM launch but the mechanics on that would make an intercept some 30 hours after launch. Seems like they don't want to keep the crew in the capsule for more than 18-19 hours.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 30 May 20, 19:47Post
Successful launch!
DXing 31 May 20, 15:02Post
Yep, blew that forecast! Missed a great opportunity to see a launch. Congratulations to all involved.