You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Space

ESA Mars Probe Landing Today 2016-10-19

Everything that is sub-orbital or beyond.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 Oct 16, 10:54Post
The European Space Agency (Esa) is getting ready to put a probe on Mars.

Its Schiaparelli robot will attempt the risky descent to the surface in the coming hours, after a 500 million km journey from Earth.

The touchdown is regarded as a dress rehearsal for a much more important venture in four years' time when Esa will bid to place a very expensive rover on the planet.

[...]

Touchdown should occur at 14:58 GMT (15:58 BST; 16:58 CEST).

More: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37700042
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 19 Oct 16, 13:25Post
Awesome. {thumbsup}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 20 Oct 16, 11:43Post
Not looking good:

Europe's Schiaparelli lander did not behave as expected as it headed down to the surface of Mars on Wednesday.

Telemetry data recovered from the probe during its descent indicates that its parachute was jettisoned too early.

The rockets it was supposed to use to bring itself to a standstill just above the ground also appeared to fire for too short a time.

The European Space Agency (Esa) has not yet conceded that the lander crashed but the mood is not positive.

More: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37715202
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 21 Oct 16, 09:59Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Not looking good:

The European Space Agency (Esa) has not yet conceded that the lander crashed but the mood is not positive.

Yeah...well, at least they are following in good footsteps. How many have the U.S crunched on the red planet. I'd be worried if I were on the first manned flight there...I mean...what are the odds? :))
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 21 Oct 16, 13:20Post
Can we please send Matt Damon (this time without a parachute and a backup spacecraft)?
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
bhmbaglock 21 Oct 16, 14:15Post
DXing wrote:
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Not looking good:

Yeah...well, at least they are following in good footsteps. How many have the U.S crunched on the red planet. I'd be worried if I were on the first manned flight there...I mean...what are the odds? :))

Other than a short run of failures in the late 90s, the US actually has a very good record on Mars missions. Russians have a terrible success rate and the Europeans are somewhere in between. India has a perfect 1/1 record.