You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Space

Blue Origin Launch Successful in West Texas

Everything that is sub-orbital or beyond.

Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 06 Oct 16, 19:06Post
http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Space- ... 95841.html

Video of launch and recovery available at above link. This company is pretty quiet with their tests, they don't make big public announcements beforehand and their launches are in a very isolated location of far West Texas.

VAN HORN -- The space company Blue Origin conducted a rocket launch just north of Van Horn Wednesday morning.

During the launch, they did an in-flight escape test with the New Shepard booster, which has been flown four times.

Blue Origin Owner Jeff Bezos says "It's the first-ever rocket booster to fly above the Karman line into space and then land vertically upon the Earth."

The company plans to retire the booster and put it in a museum.

Blue Origin's website with more information and videos of previous launches: https://www.blueorigin.com/
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
bhmbaglock 06 Oct 16, 19:32Post
They've been a lot more public on the last few tests. I haven't heard anything official but the capsule landing looked pretty rough. It didn't look like the retros fired at all to me or if they did, it was really, really at the last split second.

This would be surprising to me as their booster landing is much different than SpaceX. SpaceX pretty much bleeds all of the speed off in a late as possible burn while BO seems to use the much less efficient method of slowing to a hover or near hover at low altitude then easing down to the landing.

Btw, heard a horrible joke regarding reusable boosters. It seems they all have a terrible smell after they land.

Either a Musk or BO, hard to tell.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 06 Oct 16, 20:26Post
Okay... I'm not impressed.

Anyone can go up. Up is easy. Up will even get you to space... but it won't get anything to stay there. To get to space and stay in space you have to go sideways really dang fast. Going up real high and landing again is a party trick. Let's see going sideways really fast and landing again.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf