You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Space

Random Night Sky Happenings

Everything that is sub-orbital or beyond.

vikkyvik 14 Oct 15, 18:55Post
GQfluffy wrote:There's no explaining Los Angeles.

{check}

Seen a fair amount of random and weird sky events here. Some explainable, others not so much.

GQfluffy wrote:I'm surprised he can see the night sky, much less the stars.

Oh come on, of course I can see the stars. Some nights I can see all seven of them.
JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 15 Oct 15, 02:31Post
GQfluffy wrote:I'm surprised he can see the night sky, much less the stars.

Oh come on, of course I can see the stars. Some nights I can see all seven of them.[/quote]

Bah! You have no excuses!

{duck}
vikkyvik 15 Oct 15, 05:53Post
JeffSFO wrote:Bah! You have no excuses!

I prefer stacking:

:))
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 15 Oct 15, 16:22Post
{bugeye}

You can see the galaxy there!
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
vikkyvik 15 Oct 15, 20:36Post
GQfluffy wrote:You can see the galaxy there!

You mean the nebula?
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 16 Oct 15, 15:01Post
Cleary not a Men in Black fan. {vsad}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
vikkyvik 16 Oct 15, 18:22Post
GQfluffy wrote:Cleary not a Men in Black fan.

Ahhh, actually I do quite like Men in Black. You're just the first person I've heard referencing it in, oh, 10 years or so.

But I assume it just finally premiered where you live.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Oct 15, 18:35Post
vikkyvik wrote:
GQfluffy wrote:Cleary not a Men in Black fan.

Ahhh, actually I do quite like Men in Black. You're just the first person I've heard referencing it in, oh, 10 years or so.

But I assume it just finally premiered where you live.

Hahahahha! Shots fired! :)) {thumbsup}
JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 05 Nov 15, 00:59Post
Jupiter, Venus, and Mars were clearly visible this morning with Venus & Mars in close conjunction. Stumbled across this quite by accident when I woke up to hit the head and happened to look out the window.

Sorry for the lack of detail but I took these with a handheld:

The Moon was out, too, but it didn't wash out the view:

vikkyvik 05 Nov 15, 02:23Post
JeffSFO wrote:Jupiter, Venus, and Mars were clearly visible this morning with Venus & Mars in close conjunction. Stumbled across this quite by accident when I woke up to hit the head and happened to look out the window.Sorry for the lack of detail but I took these with a handheld:

Very nice! Since my morning starts around 8:30 AM these days, I had no chance of seeing that.
JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 05 Nov 15, 03:49Post
vikkyvik wrote:
JeffSFO wrote:Jupiter, Venus, and Mars were clearly visible this morning with Venus & Mars in close conjunction. Stumbled across this quite by accident when I woke up to hit the head and happened to look out the window.Sorry for the lack of detail but I took these with a handheld:

Very nice! Since my morning starts around 8:30 AM these days, I had no chance of seeing that.

Thanks, Vik. It was just dumb luck that I happened to see this at all. One thing I forgot to mention though, just after turning the camera off a meteor streaked through the formation so it was a cherry on top for the whole experience.
vikkyvik 06 Nov 15, 03:35Post
JeffSFO wrote:One thing I forgot to mention though, just after turning the camera off a meteor streaked through the formation so it was a cherry on top for the whole experience.

That'll teach you - always leave your camera on for 2 more seconds! :))

Random fact: I have never captured a meteor with my camera (at least not one you could see in the resulting photo).
JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 06 Nov 15, 04:44Post
vikkyvik wrote:
JeffSFO wrote:One thing I forgot to mention though, just after turning the camera off a meteor streaked through the formation so it was a cherry on top for the whole experience.

That'll teach you - always leave your camera on for 2 more seconds! :))

Random fact: I have never captured a meteor with my camera (at least not one you could see in the resulting photo).

I've seen some incredible meteors in very scenic places (a big, bright, bolide with the GG Bridge in the background and another one so bright it was visible through the fog at Baker Beach one night so it lit up everything with an eerie glow, etc).

The funny thing is that even after managing to catch a good one they always disappoint me once on screen because the real thing is always much more vivid. For instance, the shot below was of a very large and bright meteor but you'd never know from this shot (I suppose shooting at very wide angles for extended durations doesn't help matters). :)

vikkyvik 06 Nov 15, 06:26Post
JeffSFO wrote:The funny thing is that even after managing to catch a good one they always disappoint me once on screen because the real thing is always much more vivid. For instance, the shot below was of a very large and bright meteor but you'd never know from this shot (I suppose shooting at very wide angles for extended durations doesn't help matters).

That's a nice shot. Yeah, I think the key to capturing meteors is to take lots of short exposures, then layer them in post if desired - same thing I usually do for star trails.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Apr 16, 16:15Post
I am waiting on Vik to announce something here. :))
vikkyvik 22 Apr 16, 23:53Post
Lucas wrote:I am waiting on Vik to announce something here.

Uh, stars and stuff.
vikkyvik 23 Apr 16, 07:24Post
OK, now that I'm back home...

Nothing major, but Mars and Saturn are quite close together for the next several weeks, and on the night of 4/24, will be in a nice triangle with the moon:

Unfortunately they don't rise until around 11 PM, but still might be cool.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 23 Apr 16, 11:10Post
The early morning sky (4:30) has been amazing here in NoVA for the past month. {thumbsup}
At home in the PNW and loving it
vikkyvik 21 May 16, 10:08Post
Randomly walked outside, and this was staring me in the face.

Saturn at middle-left, Mars being very red slightly below-right of center, and the full moon, along with some other stars. Tough to get across how brilliant it all looked. This is several frames stacked, then HDR'd with another frame:

vikkyvik 23 May 16, 05:47Post
The Moon, Mars, Antares, and Saturn were in a nice diamond last night (Antares is at the bottom, right next to the "p" in "Copyright"):

Also did a zoomed in stack of Mars:

And one of Jupiter, with Callisto, Europa, and Ganymede visible:

And out of interest, I shot a zoomed in frame of Saturn. While you can't discern the rings separately, the planet + rings is very obviously oblong. Also, its moon Titan is visible just above-left of Saturn, and the moon Rhea is very very faintly visible just above-right of Saturn. This is a crop at 100%:

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Feb 17, 05:05Post
Vik is about to post some cool pics. You heard it here first. :))
vikkyvik 13 Feb 17, 16:34Post
Something something something Dark Side.
Something something something complete.
vikkyvik 20 Feb 17, 01:31Post
No cool pics Lucas.

Just a friendly note that if anyone wants a photography challenge (not much of a challenge, really), Mars and Uranus will be right next to each other (less than 1 degree apart), and less than 10 degrees from Venus, on Feb 26.

Then on Feb 28, Venus, Mars, and a very crescent Moon will be in a triangle (with Uranus near Mars).
vikkyvik 02 Mar 17, 17:06Post
vikkyvik wrote:Just a friendly note that if anyone wants a photography challenge (not much of a challenge, really), Mars and Uranus will be right next to each other (less than 1 degree apart), and less than 10 degrees from Venus, on Feb 26.Then on Feb 28, Venus, Mars, and a very crescent Moon will be in a triangle (with Uranus near Mars).

Well, I totally forgot about all that.

But I did take some photos last night. So I present to you, the Moon and three planets (Mars, Uranus, Venus). Uranus is directly below Mars, about half as far as the Moon from Mars:

It's a stack of ~20 photos. I may do a re-edit of it, as I'm not all that happy with the result.
vikkyvik 05 Mar 17, 03:36Post
Better edit, with some HDR to tame the bright Moon: