You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

MH-6/AH-6 Talks About Possible Retirement?

Your online Air Force Base.

DXing 08 Jul 21, 13:20Post
Known as the OH-6 Cayuse light observation helicopter when I was in service and dating back to the Vietnam war, once again someone at the Pentagon thinks that just because it's old it has to be replaced. Given the mission role of the aircraft today, are they just trying to make a more round wheel?

The 'Ferrari' of US special-operations helicopters may soon be headed out of service

https://www.businessinsider.com/special-operations-ah6-mh6-helicopters-may-go-out-of-service-2021-7

The Ranger Battalions (3rd Ranger had not been organized so it wasn't a regiment yet) mission when I was in service was different than today's mission as the cold war was still raging and it was an all out war against the Warsaw Pact in Europe that was mostly trained for. The switch to special ops was just beginning and we had done some training simulations on hostage rescue and the like but had not used the "little birds" as they became known as in our training.

Obviously that has changed in the decades since I was in service. Still, it seems that like the A-10, these would be machines that serve such a niche that there is no reason to build from scratch. Thoughts?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 08 Jul 21, 13:33Post
I don't think there is anything to replace this. Upgrade it, modify it, but don't get rid of it.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Jul 21, 12:36Post
OH-58 Kiowa the same . . . .

Can't replace that thing. I spent a lot of time in those things, and they are tough as nails . . . . sad to see them mostly gone.

"This one time, over Kilauea" . . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
DXing 11 Jul 21, 14:00Post
ANCFlyer wrote:I spent a lot of time in those things.

I'm guessing the first thing the pilot did when you climbed onboard was reach for the maximum gross weight vs. air density card and the H/V diagram...... ;) :)) {duck}
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
paul mcallister 12 Jul 21, 23:56Post
Surely building new versions or taking aircraft out of storage if suitable would be cheaper, than starting from scratch?

These aircraft have a tried and trusted design, so why not just build more, perhaps using modern materials in some areas if needed?