You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

Boeing MQ-25 acts as tanker to F-18

Your online Air Force Base.

DXing 07 Jun 21, 22:45Post
In a first for U.S. naval aviation, an unmanned drone acted as an airborne tanker for an F-18. If the concept is proven and judged to be safe, it would free up manned aircraft for other missions. The future of naval air? EDI come to basic life?

An unmanned tanker aircraft has successfully refueled a US Navy carrier-based fighter jet for the first time, the Navy announced Monday.

A Boeing MQ-25 Stingray test drone refueled an F/A-18 Super Hornet on Friday near MidAmerica Airport in Mascoutah, Illinois, demonstrating that the new unmanned aircraft "can fulfill its tanker mission," the Navy said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/stingray-drone-refuels-aircraft-carrier-fighter-jet-for-first-time-2021-6

The only problem I have with the story is that it makes it sound as though the F-18 pilot didn't do anything. In reality the pilot getting refueled has to maneuver into position to hook up with the refueling drogue.

Other than that, probably a long over due addition to the Navy.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
DXing 08 Jun 21, 22:13Post
Turns out there's a video of the transfer.....

I didn't see the link in Airtrainer's NAS daily thread. Looks like I was working on my post at the same time he was compiling the daily report. My apologies for stepping on any toes.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?