You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

Finnish F-18 replacement: 64 a/c, 10b€ cap

Your online Air Force Base.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 11 Jan 21, 15:11Post
This month, Finland will seek final, binding bids for the 64-plane package, which must come in under 10 billion euros.

[...]

Five planes are in the running for the massive procurement deal, including the successor of the current planes, the Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet, and another US-made jet, the Lockheed Martin F-35. The three European contenders are France’s Dassault Rafale, the UK’s Eurofighter
Typhoon and neighbouring Sweden’s Saab Gripen.

Read more: https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/defe ... b/11730523
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jan 21, 18:39Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:64-plane package, which must come in under 10 billion euros.

I assume that includes training, spares and support? None of the types mentioned come in at anywhere near €10bn for 64, you could get the Gripens for less than 3bn.
A million great ideas...
paul mcallister 20 Jan 21, 21:11Post
The Gripen certainly offers great value for money, but I wonder if Boeing would offer a special deal on the Super Hornet ?
captoveur 20 Jan 21, 21:25Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see a deal worked on F-35s. Everyone is still focused on getting the unit price down, and Lockheed wants as many people on the hook with their platform when they start jacking up the service costs.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 21 Jan 21, 11:44Post
captoveur wrote:I wouldn't be shocked to see a deal worked on F-35s. Everyone is still focused on getting the unit price down, and Lockheed wants as many people on the hook with their platform when they start jacking up the service costs.

The Danes went that way, didn't they?

JLAmber wrote:I assume that includes training, spares and support? None of the types mentioned come in at anywhere near €10bn for 64, you could get the Gripens for less than 3bn.

Yup.

The package includes 64 multi-role fighters along with technical and training systems, maintenance tools, testing equipment and spare parts as well as weapons, sensors and other support functions.

Political decision-makers have set a 10-billion-euro cap on the entire replacement project. [Defence Ministry Director Lauri] Puranen says that actual procurement cap is closer to nine billion euros, though, as the adoption of the new equipment will also incur extra costs for Finland including training and construction.

In late December, Puranen said in a blog post that some of the companies’ responses to the previous call for bids exceeded the 10-billion-euro limit when the level of armament stipulated by the ministry was included in the procurement price.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.